Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By MysteryV Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 pm
Cross post as I got zero responses in the other forum.

I got my MPC a couple weeks ago and just started making beats. I'm using hardware only for now as my Macbook is old AF and doesn't even seem to work with Beats.

Question:
- What is the best way to arrange a full track and add vocals?

I created this MF Doom Remix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-laAzpXQ0) - but as you can see - the arrangement is pretty sloppy. There's limited structure as it's pretty hard to guess what sequence I want at like - bar 72.

My process was:
- Create sequences
- Use Song Mode to Arrange
- Export to new sequence
- Double length
- Repeat

I then have 1 track with just the entire acapella and trigger the sample right manually.

Basically - it seems like there has to be a better way.
I'd love
to be able to actually time a beat change when Doom drops "Dilla Dilla " - but have no idea how to do that.

2nd Question:
- Is there a better way to create chords?

For the synths - I basically drew in the chords manually. I realize there's chord mode - but it seems kinda limiting as I wanted to add 7ths and invert some of the chords - and those don't seem to be in there.

Is there an easy way for me to just create my chords once and save them? I enjoy the creation process - so not super into buying a chord pack quite yet - but would like an easier way to work with them.

Long post already - so I'll stop - tho I have a lot of questions around mixing and stuff as well.

Thank you!
By Ultros Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 am
You can import your audio and then from the "main" window on the bottom left click "audio" beside midi. then click "edit audio" and browse for your track. then you can adjust the bpm to get it on grid all perfect then chop it down into segments if you want or just program your midi along side it.