Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Wholeness Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 pm
Hi all. On older MPC models I would copy my chopped sample slices and make a filtered version of the same slices. Then assign these to the non-filtered sample chops to play at the same time to fatten the sounds up.

On the MPC One, what is the easiest/quickest way to do this when working with chops converted to non-destructive or pad parameters. I realise that there are good EQ settings as a workaround, but I like the sound that adding a filtered version creates.

For example, if I chop a sound onto all 16 pads and convert to either non-destructive or pad parameters - what's the easiest way to copy the 16 chops, apply a filter them all and then assign the 16 filtered chops to the 16 original non-filtered pads so that they trigger both at the same time when playing?

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
By 83dude Fri May 14, 2021 12:54 pm
There‘s three ways I‘d use, rather #2 than the others:

1. Use pad copy and copy all pads to bank B, filter them there and use SIMULTANEOUS PLAY on pads in bank A to co-trigger them.
+ samples in phase
- fiddly and strenuous

2. Filter the samples to your liking (see EDIT MULTIPLE/ALL PADS for drum programs), resample them, and add them to a second layer on the original pad. Levels have to be applied on drum pads.
+ quick
- sample phase not aligned

3. Duplicate track, and duplicate program. Filter new program differently.
+ very quick, different program FX possible
- not easily controllable with one track (exception: SEND MIDI TO on original track), changes in program FX like compression have to be made or adjusted twice
By 40Beatz Fri May 14, 2021 3:25 pm
Yup...What he said! Just assign whatever Sample Chop to a Different Pad in a Different Bank. And then you filter, eq, do whatever to that Duplicate Sample Chop
By DokBrown Tue May 18, 2021 6:43 pm
Keep in mind the new MPCs have many more filter options. Maybe you can find a similar sound with just 1 layer of sample & the right filter + reverb/delay combo. The FX chain possibilities in these new units are crazy particularly when you to toss in the AIR channel strip into the chain.

Otherwise, I rec option 2
#2:
I think layering is always the best way to do this kind of stuff