Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Diegaso Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:19 pm
I was wondering If I should actively use a compressor for sculpting samples of percussive sounds ( claps, snares, kick , etc ) , in the production stage , to achieve them to fit into the mix .

I'm trying to make house and dance music, with an akai mpc 1000 ( a lot of ADSR work ), a dbx 530 Eq, and a transient designer SLP , for processing percussive samples, both hardware. But how advisable would it be to frequently use a good VCA or FET hardware compressor for shaping samples of percussive sounds before putting them into the mpc ?

Please, in which stage do you use the compressor the most? Could you share your experiencie ?

Regards
By dopeNL Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:17 am
Diegaso wrote:I was wondering If I should actively use a compressor for sculpting samples of percussive sounds ( claps, snares, kick , etc ) , in the production stage , to achieve them to fit into the mix .

I'm trying to make house and dance music, with an akai mpc 1000 ( a lot of ADSR work ), a dbx 530 Eq, and a transient designer SLP , for processing percussive samples, both hardware. But how advisable would it be to frequently use a good VCA or FET hardware compressor for shaping samples of percussive sounds before putting them into the mpc ?

Please, in which stage do you use the compressor the most? Could you share your experience ?

Regards

Hi, I tend to use (if at all) a Compressor or external effects after sampling, Unless your goal is to achieve a particular sound before sampling.

It is really down to your preference, as most of the time once a sound is recorded/sampled, it's fixed like that.
Perhaps with some of the limitations of the MPC 1000, you would sample with compression, But its as I stated, Is down to personal preference, as there is no right or wrong way to get the sound you want. It's part of the creative process.
By DokBrown Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:05 pm
A lot of sites sell drums but I find the key getting them right is sequencing & mixing for the track that you are currently working on.

Jus blaze made his drums available but makes it quite clear that EQ & compression are essential.

https://www.okayplayer.com/news/run-the ... ounds.html

If you can get the eq/compression out your MPC then good but I suggest every1 get 1-2 pieces of hardware to polish their drums/synths. i imagine you can get what you want out of what you have already tho’, I can’t vouch specifically for a VCA or FET.

My MPC live has 5+ compressors in it but I mostly just use the vintage or OPTO b/c that works for my sound. I suggest u buy 1 used & if it adds to your sound, keep it. If not, dump it.
By DokBrown Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:22 pm
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019 ... sion-more/

I like to use compression along with EQ
The MPC LIVE channel strip FX is a real winner in the department.
Maybe try a mixer that has built-in compression ?

https://jakeludington.com/2009/07/30/best_mixer_with/