Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By boert Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:01 pm
Heyho!

I'm new to the Mpc series (i've got the mpc one) and after diving the manual and watching a lot of tutorials i still find myself struggeling with one issue. Maybe someone can help me out at this place! :)

After creating songs, sequence after sequence, i now want to prepare them for live performances,
by using the mutetracks function.

For example:
On Pad one i got: "Drums one" (just a kickdrum)
one row above on Pad five: "Drums two" (with the same kickdrums but also with Hihats in between)

Until this point everything works fine, but now the problem:

On Pad two i put a midi track "melody 1" triggering my synth on midi-channel 16 and create a program which i call "program 1", which should play the midi-program-channel #1. (On my synth channel 1 says, that it should play Squarewaves, with the filter cutoff set to 0, so i can turn it up slowly till the the synth played the last midi-note)

After that i want to mute pad two while unmuting pad six -the same hardware synth should now play another melody and for example sawtooth waves, the filter set to 127.

So i put another midi-track "melody 2", with another melody on it on pad six, sending the notes to my synth which still is on channel 16. I create another program "program 2" which now should play midi-program-channel #2 (which on my synth says, that it now should play sawtooth instead of squares, the filter-cutoff set to 127.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like i expected. Instead of playing different program-channels on my synth, depending on which track i unmuted, they both still play the same program-channel.

Maybe this doesn't work to avoid that the mpc tells the synth two play different program-channels at the same time, when both tracks are unmuted. i dont want my synth to explode (any my mpc neighter ; ) but i wonder if there's a workaround for this / if i overlooked something.

Hope i could explain my issue (and the way i want to play music life) good enough so you can understand it, since my english isn't that well.

Any help appreciated! :-)

bört
By Lampdog Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:06 am
Your synth needs to be multi-timbral for this to work.

What brand and model of synth?

Are all synth programs on MIDI CHNL16?

That's not going to work.

Each program/patch needs it's own midi channel.

By boert Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:59 pm
Hey Lampdog. Thanks a lot for your quick and clear answer! :)

I've got a "Sonicware Liven 8bit warps". Seems like I can just set one midi channel at the same time so it can't
run different synth programs on different midi channels at once :(
But I'm happy to know, that it won't work like this, that's a lot better than keep on asking myself what I'm doing wrong! :)

Maybe in my case ( I like chiptune sounds a lot) it would be more logical to get a second liven, than buying a multitimbral synth
(looks like they are a lot more expensive and often are designed to make crazy ultra complex soundscapes, which isn't what I'm looking for).
The only idea I had is to buy an electibe 2, cause they are relatively cheap and are seemingly multitimbral. But I'm not sure about that yet, don't know if it would do the job well.

thanks again!
bört