Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By T-Monk Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:50 pm
Hey all,

I plug in direct to the MPC one often to practice with beats and backing tracks. I've created some plugin chains that sound decent for electric guitar, but was hoping others might have input as well.

A decent sound so far is to use a Channel Strip plugin and reduce the highs above 5k, add a subtle noise gate and compression with a low threshold and low (1.3) ratio. Then I follow it up by an Air Distortion with light distortion, then a Parametric EQ with some low and high cuts with various boosts in center regions to replicate some of the mid-range tonality of guitar amps, then a Reverb Small just to give a bit of air/ room tone like an amp in a room.

I've also gotten some fun MXR Blue Box style effects with fuzz and -2 octave pitch shift mixed in.

It's a shame that Akai doesn't include some of the headrest FX in the unit (even as a paid in-app purchase).

Anyone else having good luck with guitar tones straight from the MPC?

Here are some Plugin Chains for anyone out there to try:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/urtorlikmig8 ... ZSmaa?dl=0
By dabmeister Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:09 pm
T-Monk wrote:Hey all,

I plug in direct to the MPC one often to practice with beats and backing tracks. I've created some plugin chains that sound decent for electric guitar, but was hoping others might have input as well.

A decent sound so far is to use a Channel Strip plugin and reduce the highs above 5k, add a subtle noise gate and compression with a low threshold and low (1.3) ratio. Then I follow it up by an Air Distortion with light distortion, then a Parametric EQ with some low and high cuts with various boosts in center regions to replicate some of the mid-range tonality of guitar amps, then a Reverb Small just to give a bit of air/ room tone like an amp in a room.

I've also gotten some fun MXR Blue Box style effects with fuzz and -2 octave pitch shift mixed in.

It's a shame that Akai doesn't include some of the headrest FX in the unit (even as a paid in-app purchase).

Anyone else having good luck with guitar tones straight from the MPC?

Here are some Plugin Chains for anyone out there to try:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/urtorlikmig8 ... ZSmaa?dl=0

I'm not a guitarist, but it's good to know there's options like this I can pass on to a friend who is a guitarist and a mpc one user as well.

Question...do you use a daw at all, or do you prefer using the scenario you just described?

I'm just curious because you might hip to something that I'd like to try the next time I get with my dawg. :)
By 6/8 Stanley Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:23 pm
Electric guitar: through pedal board to tube amp. Close mic the amp with suitable mic. . Mic to analog (or high-end digital) mixer to monitor sound. Mixer to mpc.

Acoustic guitar: Condenser mic about 6" from sound hole to mixer. Monitor from mixer. Mixer to mpc. Experiment with distance for best sound. Run insert cable from mixer to effect box. If you like. Small vocal plate in effect box sounds OK to me.