Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Flow77 Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:20 am
hello I plan to finalize my projects made initially I was told MPC live 2 to 1 DAW. I thought I saw that abelton was better than cubase but I can't quite understand why.
are there export facilities? and if so which ones? finally I thought I saw that the MPC beat software is very limited? especially for track mixing and mastering?

can you tell me that she is sleeping do you advise me not to do the production but to finalize the songs? (I really have a preference for cubase but I'm afraid I'm missing information at the export level on ableton and who would really be better than cubase?
By Flow77 Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:20 am
thank you for your feedback it's a bit what I thought the only thing that put me in doubt is the export function to ableton (.als if I'm not mistaken) but I tested it once times on ableton and I have the impression that ultimately it is only a track-by-track audio conversion of all the tracks of the MPC? (there's nothing else, right?
By Neurone Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:40 am
I'd probably plump for Ableton. Just for the time-stretching. Cubase is still a bit "iffy" in that respect.
Built in multiband compressors are also quite good in Ableton.
If you're going to use third-party plugins, go with either.

Oh, and the "summing" engine used by either, the only drawback for Ableton is I always thought it sounded less dynamic than Cubase (obvs no plugins used).
Mixes just seemed, oh I don't know...less robust ?

Could just be my old ears.
By Monotremata Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:39 pm
I dont track things with Ableton because there is something about the audio engine I still dont like compared to Cubase/Logic/etc.. I dont know something about it sounds 'plasticky' to me or something I cant really explain it hehe. Maybe its 'dynamics' like Neurone mentioned. Love writing in it though.

Cubase for me, but I guess it depends on how 'finished' your song is and if you plan on doing more work in the DAW. I use Cubase and just track everything there like I would a tape deck and do the 'traditional' mixing there and call it a day. I tend to leave out dynamics processors until it hits the DAW (not too fond of the Akai comps), along with any saturation/distortion. Cubase is easy enough for editing too, at that point all my time stretching/warping had better be done, but its just as easy to do in Cubase as it is in Live, just a different way of going about it. Using a Sampler Track isn't much different than using Live's Simpler/Sampler. I like Ableton's environment when Im working solely in Ableton, but those projects start and end there, anything I do with the MPC and hardware goes into Cubase where I treat it like a 'normal' studio setup.
By Yerbalist Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:34 pm
Flow77 wrote:hello I plan to finalize my projects made initially I was told MPC live 2 to 1 DAW. I thought I saw that abelton was better than cubase but I can't quite understand why.

Personally, I multitrack everything from MPC to Cubase, edit and mix when ready from there. You have to be aware that the choice of DAW should depend much on your preference - especially when it comes to interface! Why not try both and see how easy it is for you to operate? Intuitive, or no?
Theres a good reason why many and not one DAW exist on the market - it's up to you to decide which one suits you best. It's just a tool.
That beaing said, I would reccomend Cubase, it's really solid tool for mixdown and decent mixer section that you can configure as you please with busses, sends and whatnot. I don't have full Pro version yet tho, looking forward to $$, but I heard nice things about new 12. Elements or Artist version is also cheaper than Ableton I recon (not sure).

Monotremata wrote: I tend to leave out dynamics processors until it hits the DAW (not too fond of the Akai comps), along with any saturation/distortion.

Yeah true, its also kind of good thing to focus on performance instead of technicalities on such small screen imo. Those latter gets figured out 20x faster and more precisely in DAW :nod: Plus you can fix what dont glue later (nondestructively). Although it is tempting to mix as you go sometimes, rarely worked for me

Flow77 wrote:can you tell me that she is sleeping do you advise me not to do the production but to finalize the songs?

just dont wake her up when u mix loud lololol
By mrmarbury Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:20 pm
As everybody said: Try out different DAWs and use what you like. That said. I have been an Ableton user for some years so I still use the Ableton version I still own for recording jams and live sets. But mostly out of convenience. My work style is that once the arrangement of a track is finished I track out everything to a DAW an start final mixing. Like every little track gets tracked to its own DAW-track. To bring in a new contender :hmmm: I always wanted to try out Reaper but still am missing some time to just use it ... it's always: I will try out a new DAW for the next track. Meeh. I hear loads of good things about Reaper. It's supposed to be really powerful and it is dirt cheap and the 30d trial is basically unlimited. Downside: You need to bring your own VSTs. But if you (like me) already have "your" set of goto VSTs for mixing you can just skip the bloat most DAWs bring and save some pretty $ here. But I have also finished tracks with just the MPC in standalone or controller mode with the MPC Software. It's not as perfect as Live, Cubase, you name it but also not too bad imho. Just use it and learn it's quirks. For me at least it's also nice to have HW controls for my DAW that just work out of the box. Yeah, I am an out of the box guy. I have put lots of thought into my setup and cabling und now I won't be bothered with anything. Especially since I never want to recable my studio again. It's generally a nightmare. It is now supposed to "just work, damnit" (TM)