Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By 6/8 Stanley Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:52 am
Haven't tried before so wondering how to do. Couldn't find anything on any forum. When I google "how to record samples in reaper" I only see hundreds of videos and forum posts about how to make a downloaded drum beat into a track. Not doing that.
Made a stereo bongo track on the H6 to back vocal and guitar on new song. About 5 minutes of 12/8 Rumba (Son?) beat with 8th notes at slow 96 BPM. Got bottle playing the bell part on another track. Quantized nope. Used metronome at lowest volume and under pile of laundry to keep about same speed without wreaking the swing.
There are some places on the tracks where the bongo tones, bell and beats all come together just right. So I want to chop as many good 4 bar pieces as I can find and trash the rest. Make them all loop the same to alternate in MPC where my trumpet and cello reside.
Using MPC2500jjos and reaper but that shouldn't matter. Any advice or a link?
By Christov Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:57 am
If you got everything lined up right in Reaper you could in theory, if you set the bpm right, just make timeselections of those 4 bars you want and render those timeselections of 4 bars into separate wavfiles for each instrument.

Never did this myself, but I used to record my 2500 into Reapers multitracker and then made 4 bars loops out of it and sequence those in Reaper. Kinda the other way around.
By 6/8 Stanley Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:59 pm
I didn't think of putting the bottle track on different samples but I'll do that for pan and EQ later. Reaper can adjust the tracks to make them same length. Each 4 bar wav file is copied to MPC for a sample. The beat sounds uniform to me but it's probably off enough in some places to throw it off the grid. So the first beat of each sample needs to be on the 1 of a quantized 12 beat bar in MPC. Does that need to be done in grid edit?
If it sounds OK in MPC I'll record 5 minutes of the audio back to mix in H6/reaper. Then freestyle the horns etc. over the beat on couple of tracks and record the audio in H6/reaper.

A lot of work for a demo so trying to think of a faster way. Maybe fix the bongo/bottle tracks in reaper by swapping good bars for the bad ones. Looks easy in the video. Then copy just one 4 bar drum loop to MPC since it won't be recorded, play horn tracks over it and record horns audio to H6 tracks.