Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:25 pm
Unfortunately you cannot add fade/tail at the chopping stage like you can with something like Recycle (or even previous legacy MPCs like the MPC1000). This is usually referred to a 'release' in those applications.

You can add 'tail' in PROGRAM EDIT > SAMPLES after assigning a chop to a layer.

And/or you can add 'fade' by adjusting the amp envelope for the entire pad (the 'decay' parameter, assuming the default AD envelope for one shot samples). This will help remove existing clicks.

You can also fine edit the chops to remove any clicks, and combine this with tail to extend the sample length a little.

IMO the lack of it's a real release at the chopping stage is a big let down considering that chopping is one of the core features of the classic MPC workflow. It also makes patch phrase worthless due to the amount of clicking baked into the resulting sample (plus no release makes slowing down the loop really choppy, even with small tempo adjustments).
By Lampdog Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:44 pm
When in TRIM hold shift and you’ll see SNAP at the bottom of the screen.

This is not a fade, it place you at zero crossings point. This helps with the pops/clicks on samples when chopped.
By kejlabal Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am
Thanks for your answer guys !

I indeed feel that there is a big lack for this function which is for me a basic of MPC.

Chop Chop is absolutely great on this version, but this missing point in the pain in the slice....

We'll try to play with amp envelope by scoping all program.

Snap is definitely great, but not sure it's used when you set your slice automatically on bars or times :/
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 am
kejlabal wrote:Snap is definitely great, but not sure it's used when you set your slice automatically on bars or times :/

Probably not, but you can still edit the auto-set slice points to ensure they do end of a zero crossing point. I would suggest, firstly, working with 'non destructive' slices so you can easily go back at any time and tweak your slice markers, and secondly, turning off 'link slices' so you can, for example, extend the end point of region 1 without impacting the start point of region 2 etc.
By kejlabal Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:50 am
I totally use non-destructive, it's virtualisation of the chop-chop and is so good !
I've used link slices off indeed, but sometimes it's getting messy.

Totally out of subject, why the Funk i've posted this in "Production Techniques", was thinking in One/Live/X
By Lampdog Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:11 am
It’s not a missing function.

There are tools that can get the job done, people keep looking for 1 certain feature and there are tools that do it already.

Chop, convert slices to program, in progrm edit teardrop at the top choose all, goto amp envelope, set up/configure envelope release, now all chops will have the faded envelope ending.

Don’t forget, teardrop and set back to current.
By Lampdog Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:00 pm
Yep, try it and lemme know what you think.

I use that method with the default envelopes all the time. It works great, BUT, I forget to set ALL back to CURRENT sometimes and I mess things up afterwards.