Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By moonlake Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:47 am
Any tips for consistent mastering standalone on MPC?

I usually have the AIR Compressor on the sum, and usually use the same settings and max level but this doesnt ensure a consistent sound and perceived loudness of different tracks.

Also its hard without a reference track.

When I produced with DAW my tracks tended to be too compressed and too loud, now on MPC its the other way cause I want to avoid this.

I dont have a PC and DAW anymore.
By Koekepan Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:31 pm
Depends on whether you're looking for live performed output, or a rendered track.

If you're rendering a track, you should be able to normalise it as you would any sample, no?
By moonlake Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:24 pm
Thanks for these tips but I think they dont adress the issue.

Normalizing just normalizes the peak level to max. or what evrper you chose.

The perceived loudness does not have much to do with this, you can bring the peaks down and increase loudness at the same time with a compressor, limiter ect., i.e. in mastering
like with the tools on Gumroad above.

My question is, how do I make this consistent between different tracks so they all sound the same and ideally also meet some technical criteria as required for some services and thus sounding the same as other tracks on these services, neither much louder nor more quiet.

Maybe I am missing something, usually you have a much more slowly changing RMS value display along with your peak level meters so you can use this for a guide and / or a reference track for comparison.
We dont have either on the MPC One family I think.

This makes it very hard to master different tracks the same way.

I do have a Raspberry Pi though, in theory I could master it just there but I would really prefer not to cause this means switching between too many devices, also the sound might change when you add compression and what not on the sum and I prefer to have it on the track itself so you can do subtle changes to the mix like bringing reverb down a bit or some eqing required.

The track I finished today is much more quite for instance than other tracks I did cause I tend to use less compression now, but it turns out to be much too quite in comparision to the loudness war average track, and I can only figure this out after taking the track to another device and cant fix it on the MPC.

I think if the MPCs want to be studios in a box they have to add some tiny tool or RMS display for that.

Also, totally unrelated annoying thing: when I export the track there is always a long silence added to the end no matter if I set the silence to 1 second, its at keast 5 seconds, sometimes 10 or more...
Last edited by moonlake on Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:https://yorgosarabatzis.gumroad.com/l/BgbtF

YA is a member here and I've used this product many times and it's gotten me a better sound. Of course I tweaked/tailored very little.

EDIT. I had the wrong link earlier. Corrected link is now posted.

QFT - If you want to master on the MPC, inside the box, this is your best tool to do it. There's a really good guide for how to use it, how to fix issues, and ways to tweak the settings.
By Lampdog Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:46 pm
4 efx slots on pad, 4 efx slots on pgm or submix, 4 efx slots on master.
You have many efx to place anywhere in that chain.
Pad mixer
Track mixer
Plugins have there own global volume.
ALOT of tools to achieve:
unity gain
compression
LOUDNESS.
ZERO excuses.
By moonlake Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:01 am
I think we have some misunderstanding.

I am not concerened about how to master a track, but how to achieve a consistent output RMS or LUFS level without meters or reference tracks.

So what had been suggested above, to normalize afterwards, but not to peak level but LUFS is the most reasonable way.

I just would like to avoid this step since I have to introduce an additional device and copy and file transfer.

Thanks for all the answers though.
By moonlake Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:37 pm
I got the tip to import a loop from a song that can be used as a reference and than do it by comparision by ear.

I am probably going to do this cause haveing a reference us akways useful.

Howver I couldnt decide for a song yet, things are mastered quite differently.

At any rate I think its better ti use something less loud with more real dynamics,
cause you can always reduce this after export, but you cant really increase dynamics once its compressed too much.

AIR / Akai should just include some slow average RMS meter in some of the plugins.
Like the AIR conpressor, and limiter and maximizer.