Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By rgbeitor Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:12 pm
Hi

Long time reader of MPC-forums, but my first post here.

I'm the owner of a MPC One, that I use for several kinds of music. My bigger current interest is generative/ambient/industrial music.

My question:

I'm creating polytrythms using two midi tracks with several beats length each. For a clasical poly 3/4, for example, I use a track with 4 beats length and another track with 3 beats lenght.

The procedure is similar to the described in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gOoo9NkjM

Unluckily, due to some limitations in MPC One, it is not possible to automate track mutes with this kind of tracks (shorter than sequence length).

So, to resolve the problem, I was thinking in copying the repetitions of each track to a new one with the help of the midi "send to" box in the track midi configuration. With this I was expecting to end up with a unique track with all notes.

As I was using midi tracks to copy CC data between tracks successfully, I was planning resolve the problem doing something similar: sending the notes of both midi tracks to another one (drum program track) in other to record all the notes in this auxiliary track.

The problem that I've found is that I can hear with no problems the polyrythm sound (combination of both midi tracks) in the drum program track but I CANNOT record the notes that are being played there.

Any idea why? I was checking with source midi tracks sent to drum program track, reverse (two source drum tracks sent to a midi track), with automation enabled, without, and of course with record enabled.

No way to make it work. Someone knows if this is possible in the MPC?

May be someone can help me...

By the way, my firmware version is 2.11.4.

I was checking the manual about the "send to" track option, but information is very limited there. I was also trying to locate information around internet (including here) without success.

Another side question: Is it possible to automate the starting/end/loop points in a sample?

Thanks in advance for your comments
By Koekepan Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:34 pm
I have a Force, not an MPC, but ...

I think that you may be able to fake the track muting by using a pegged filter, and automating a jump in its cutoff value. That should work.

I really have no idea about the MIDI recording thing - sorry.
By rgbeitor Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:31 pm
Hi

Thank you for your answer, Koekepan.

I'll test your method, but I think it will have the same problems with short tracks (shorter than sequence lenght).
All automated values behaves the same; track mute is just one kind of automation... and filter cutoff, just another.

BR