Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:22 am
Ave Macree is definitely the master of click bait youtube videos :worthy:

"No disrespect to all the following content creators, I love your stuff, but ultimately you are all wrong ."

I love all those Dilla analytical videos, most of them have something worth taking on board. I spent some time analysing his style when I made the hip hop drum patterns expansion, there's a few patterns in there inspired by Dilla.

I just think it's a shame these influencers feel the need to go for the OTT click bait titles, it's a complete turn off for me. I'll try to watch it later when I have more time, I only skimmed so far, but I take it the general gist is 'to get the dilla feel you need an MPC3000'?
By NearTao Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:57 am
Click bait for sure. I used to really dig Ave, but his transition to influencer really turned me off to his content. I get it, drama sells.

Having a 3000 shouldn't be a requirement to talk about J Dilla anyways. It was also true that J Dilla made beats that felt the same on other gear (such as the SP-404), that definitely didn't have a 1/128 quantize to it.

Anyways... Ave can say what he wants, but the real secret to anybody's style is the time they put into mastering their tools, the ability to try new things, and their love for the craft. Given that, I don't think anybody taking the time to analyze J Dilla's techniques is wrong, or doing a disservice to him. It's about taking what you know, analyzing it through your own perspective, and if you take *anything* away from it then you've learned something.

So sure, the videos that Ave points out are incomplete views of the J Dilla beat making process, but I doubt they're touting being the "only source for how to make J Dilla beats", and instead are just trying to teach some of the observations they've made about how to get there along the way. Ave doesn't go so far to say "he's the only one who knows", but his approach to discredit the other videos, prop himself up as a 3000 owner, and then leave it as given that he knows what he is talking about feels disingenuous at the least.

For now I know I can get my product placement content from someplace else :D
By 83dude Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 pm
I usually prefer reading books to videos, since books get peer reviewed before release.

If you‘re interested, get Dan Charnas‘ book „Dilla Time“ (2022?). Charnas is a lecturer on Dilla and other music related stuff and appearingly knows what he is talking about. Dilla‘s production techniques are well-dissected in said work.