Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By ginsuthaironchef Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:22 am
Do any X, Live, or One users also use an s950?

If so, how do you use it? I’ve been thinking it might be better to sample on the s950 and then sample those sounds into the Mpc X. My s950 has a USB, so I’m also thinking about sampling on my s950 and then somehow dragging and dropping the samples from the usb onto my MPC X.

The reason I’m considering sampling to s950 > MPC X is because I’ll be able to use the automation available in my MPC, instead of sequencing the 950 via midi.

One more approach: I’ve only ever sequenced the 950 via midi, so im wondering if i should just keep doing that and automate in my DAW. I use Protools.
By NearTao Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:17 am
It sounds like you've got the bulk of workflows down. So mostly just try out what you think makes sense and stick with it.

Personally, when I'm sampling into the S950 I'll play out whatever I want and either record loops, or record key groups, depending on what I want from the content.

You're not going to be able to use the USB floppy emulator to copy samples between the MPC and the S950, they are completely different file formats. Without a lot of magic, hopes, and dreams, your in general going to want to just use the sampling features of the MPC or Protools to get the audio out of the S950.
By ginsuthaironchef Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:27 am
NearTao wrote:It sounds like you've got the bulk of workflows down. So mostly just try out what you think makes sense and stick with it.

Personally, when I'm sampling into the S950 I'll play out whatever I want and either record loops, or record key groups, depending on what I want from the content.

You're not going to be able to use the USB floppy emulator to copy samples between the MPC and the S950, they are completely different file formats. Without a lot of magic, hopes, and dreams, your in general going to want to just use the sampling features of the MPC or Protools to get the audio out of the S950.

Thanks. Do you know how to drag and drop samples into the S950 floppy USB emulator?

I’m going to search for this tonight. I’m curious if it’s possible and if the sample will be colored the same way it would if I had recorded the sample via line in.
By NearTao Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:54 am
There's a couple things you would need to figure out.
* Driver or software to mount the s950 floppy image onto your computer
* Software to convert your .wav file to the s950 file format (.snd I believe, but might not even be that)

All of the above seems to be not worth it if you ultimately want "the s950 sound" as you will be skipping the AD section of the S950. Obviously if you can do the above, then you can skip the AD, and similarly you can get a digital input on the s950 to skip the AD converter.

I guess the short answer I can give you is that what you are looking to do will skip the AD converter and thus color, and you'll be left with however the DA converter may impart color to the sample. Seems like a lot of work to bypass what arguably adds the most color to the s950 sound, but that's just my opinion so take it for what it is.