Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By TicToc Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:50 pm
yeah but it says that he did Endtroducing "last year". Endtroducing came out in 1996, meaning this article was written in 1997. In 1997 (when the article was written) he was 24, meaning he is 32 now.

That means that in 1989-92, he was 16-19 which is believable. He was probably an intern or a gopher, making coffee in someone's studio.

By AXE26 Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:27 pm
ok that def sounds better thought the article was from this year or something thanks for clearing that up :D

By Antonym Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:07 pm
endtroducing was my first introduction to purely instrumental hip hop other than just "beats."

shadow makes more than just beats. he makes complete songs. there is definitely a difference. shadow's songs need no vocals. for a beat to be a song, it needs vocals.

when i make an instrumental, it's a beat. i haven't yet moved into purely instrumental hip hop. the structure is different. instrumental hip hop songs tend to be more complicated, etc.

in my opinion it was definitely revolutionary. nobody before shadow had such a rich landscape of sound, epic songs like his. djing was impressive before but it was still so heavily heavily based on the 4 Bronx djs who invented the art form. shadow, i believe, is as innovative and revolutionary as Kool Herc, Theodore, Bambataa and Flash.

Dj Krush is as good, i think, but in a different way. different vibes. i prefer shadow though...at least endtroducing. he's got some good shit ahead of him.

By ikke Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 pm
ooh nice. I always found In Flux the number one... And it was his first. Its on Preemphive Strike tho, his second album.

"I was sweating and shaking when I came home with the 60" :lol: Same here.. (but was a hot day ;) )
Last edited by ikke on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By ikke Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 pm
Antonym wrote:endtroducing was my first introduction to purely instrumental hip hop other than just "beats."

shadow makes more than just beats. he makes complete songs. there is definitely a difference. shadow's songs need no vocals. for a beat to be a song, it needs vocals.

when i make an instrumental, it's a beat. i haven't yet moved into purely instrumental hip hop. the structure is different. instrumental hip hop songs tend to be more complicated, etc.

in my opinion it was definitely revolutionary. nobody before shadow had such a rich landscape of sound, epic songs like his. djing was impressive before but it was still so heavily heavily based on the 4 Bronx djs who invented the art form. shadow, i believe, is as innovative and revolutionary as Kool Herc, Theodore, Bambataa and Flash.

Dj Krush is as good, i think, but in a different way. different vibes. i prefer shadow though...at least endtroducing. he's got some good **** ahead of him.

You should check out Quannum: Shadow beats with vocals

By mpc4000xl Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:35 am
elmacaco wrote:Nah man, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I heard mad hype about endtroducing like it was some revolutionary shyt, I mean it was like crazy, then when i heard it, It was dope, but it wasn't as dope as these guys hyped it up to be. It's nothing new, but he makes great music. Get me?

NAH..................Bro.................And I DO Respect Ur Opinion but Maybe U Want 2 Listen to that Again and think of his..........

Equipment ....

Work Ethic.......

Methods Only Vinyl Samples (I've Done Songs like this But Whole Albums)

and at that time HIP-HOP Was Startin to get Stale alot of Trinity/Triton Stuff and I Think those Boards are cool But At That Point of time it got LOOSE VERY Loose.................This Album Was Tight.....and a Fun Listen

At Least IMHO...........

By mpc4000xl Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 am
OH Yes...........................j-no

THIS IS A VERY Good Look THANX.......................

That was one of the KEYBOARDS i Missed in My OL Sam ASH DAYS...........

A QUALITY PIECE of Music........................

By elmacaco Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:49 am
OK nobody gets my point, I love Shadow's stuff, really he's an inspiration, but I though Endtroducing was way too hyped from what I heard, but then again, I didn't hear it till like 2002 or so, and by that time I was digging Krush, tricky and portishead much more than endtroducing.

But yeah, homeboy did his thing. I gotta listen to endtroducing again, I really like the private press, but it's been a minute since I heard Endtro.

By hecto Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:21 am
shadow is to me, a full musician. not to bring down any other hiphop
producers, but shadow's the one i'd play to music teacher or professional
musician if i'd have to explain instrumental hiphopmusic. endtroducing
was definiteve turning point for me, and i still pop it on every now and
then, it's so emotionally attached to the time i got it (bought it from
prague, asked for dj shadow, rec store owner said there's two albums,
one's got metallica's bassist in it, i took the other one :D ). private press
wasn't all that for me, cept blood on the motorway, but i truly respect
shadow's urge to recreate himself, even if it might work the better way,
prime example is the new keane remix.

By TicToc Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:22 pm
elmacaco wrote:OK nobody gets my point, I love Shadow's stuff, really he's an inspiration, but I though Endtroducing was way too hyped from what I heard, but then again, I didn't hear it till like 2002 or so, and by that time I was digging Krush, tricky and portishead much more than endtroducing.

But yeah, homeboy did his thing. I gotta listen to endtroducing again, I really like the private press, but it's been a minute since I heard Endtro.

The album is pretty good quality-wise, but technique-wise it was a breakthrough: it was the first album composed of 100% samples. Samplers had been used prior to that, but never this many, layered this densely, and never 100% samples. there was always some form of live instrumentation, and this album proved that sampling was an artform that held its own, and could be used to create masterpieces. This album made the sampler an official instrument. No vocals, no rappers, no instruments, no nothing but shadow and a mpc60 and thousands of samples.

That is why it is so highly lauded, not the songs themselves. Yeah they are good, but its more the principle involved.

By ikke Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:01 pm
i dunno if you guys know this, but:

Endtroducing starts with "Bob bo bo bo Bob Wood, national programmer of the CHung group"
.. and ends with the giant from Twin Peaks saying: "it is happening again".

Dunno if ya saw Twin Peaks but the killer from the woods' name is Bob and where the giant says: it is happening again, the audience discover who Bob is (Leland Palmer)

So Endtroducing starts and ends with Bob The Killer. This is too cool as Endtroducing is my favorite album of all times and Twin Peaks is my favorite television show/ motion pictures. 8)

I wonder if it was Shadows' intention by starting and ending his album with stuff from TWin Peaks...

By mpc4000xl Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:14 pm
ikke wrote:i dunno if you guys know this, but:

Endtroducing starts with "Bob bo bo bo Bob Wood, national programmer of the CHung group"
.. and ends with the giant from Twin Peaks saying: "it is happening again".

Dunno if ya saw Twin Peaks but the killer from the woods' name is Bob and where the giant says: it is happening again, the audience discover who Bob is (Leland Palmer)

So Endtroducing starts and ends with Bob The Killer. This is too cool as Endtroducing is my favorite album of all times and Twin Peaks is my favorite television show/ motion pictures. 8)

I wonder if it was Shadows' intention by starting and ending his album with stuff from TWin Peaks...

CONSIDERIN' ....................

HIS WORK Ethic

And VINYL Collection Anything He Would Do Will Most Likley Be Purposed!!

8) .. 8) .. 8) .. 8)

By ikke Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:18 pm
who knows ;) (mr davis, duh)

By itchyvinyl Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:15 am
elmacaco wrote:OK nobody gets my point, I love Shadow's stuff, really he's an inspiration, but I though Endtroducing was way too hyped from what I heard, but then again, I didn't hear it till like 2002 or so, and by that time I was digging Krush, tricky and portishead much more than endtroducing.

Yeah, hearing Endtroducing for the first time in 2002 is way out of context. It was way more of a breakthrough when it came out. By the time that came out, I was already checking for it, so I hadn't dealt with any hype.

Shadow had already blown my mind with "In/Flux" & "Lost & Found" from the Headz compilation in 1994.....then again with his ep "What Does Your Soul Look Like?" So I ran and scored Endtroducing when it was still an English import.
By the way, I still have that copy of Keyboard magazine. 8)

By ikke Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:40 pm
Scan n post, my man ;)