Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Siver Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:33 pm
Anyone know how to set a M-Audio 02 Midi Controller so that all of the notes are at full velocity? I looked through the manual but didn't see anything..I'm sure it's in there I just can't find it.

By episode Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:38 pm
Are you sequencing with your MPC.... if so, you can go into step edit and edit the notes to be full velocity.

By Siver Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 am
i am sequencing into the MPC but i'm direct recording so i don't get the individual notes...unless there is a way to get it so that every note appears in grid edit when direct recording

Re:

By kvmoore Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:15 pm
episode wrote:Are you sequencing with your MPC.... if so, you can go into step edit and edit the notes to be full velocity.

I know this thread is from 2006 and back then, this was easy to do on the MPC4000, MPC1000, and MPC2500. I do this all of the time with the above models from the sequence edit page (on the JJOS 2500) and double clicking the track velocity (I think that's how I got to it, on my 4000) to set all of the recorded midi notes on a selected track to a specific velocity. This was easy and seemless

However, I'm having difficulty trying to achieve the same thing on my newer MPCs like the One and X). There doesn't seem to be such a function implemented!!!!! A basic feature such as this is missing? Really? Or is it actually there but must be accessed differently? I can figure out how to select the notes I want. I just can't seem to set "a group" of notes (midi events) to a specific velocity value. What's going on here? While you can edit each note's velocity one by one (which is too time consuming), I'd like to set a group of notes at a time.

In addition, I'm also interested in the original poster's question as well in relation to the latest generation MPCs. I would like to k now how I can get a connected MIDI keyboard controller to react to full or half velocity. It works fine for the MPC pads, but not for a midi keyboard, at least not on the MPC One and MPC X. The midi keyboard does not respond to "Full Velocity" or "Half Velocity" settings. If the only way around this is to configure key velocity response settings from the keyboard itself, then that's understandable.
By arpsongwriter Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:53 am
kvmoore wrote:
episode wrote:Are you sequencing with your MPC.... if so, you can go into step edit and edit the notes to be full velocity.

I know this thread is from 2006 and back then, this was easy to do on the MPC4000, MPC1000, and MPC2500. I do this all of the time with the above models from the sequence edit page (on the JJOS 2500) and double clicking the track velocity (I think that's how I got to it, on my 4000) to set all of the recorded midi notes on a selected track to a specific velocity. This was easy and seemless

However, I'm having difficulty trying to achieve the same thing on my newer MPCs like the One and X). There doesn't seem to be such a function implemented!!!!! A basic feature such as this is missing? Really? Or is it actually there but must be accessed differently? I can figure out how to select the notes I want. I just can't seem to set "a group" of notes (midi events) to a specific velocity value. What's going on here? While you can edit each note's velocity one by one (which is too time consuming), I'd like to set a group of notes at a time.

In addition, I'm also interested in the original poster's question as well in relation to the latest generation MPCs. I would like to k now how I can get a connected MIDI keyboard controller to react to full or half velocity. It works fine for the MPC pads, but not for a midi keyboard, at least not on the MPC One and MPC X. The midi keyboard does not respond to "Full Velocity" or "Half Velocity" settings. If the only way around this is to configure key velocity response settings from the keyboard itself, then that's understandable.

I would love to know the answer to these questions too. It seems like there should be an easy way on MPC One to set all of the incoming midi keyboard notes to a certain velocity like 127 for example (my midi controller keyboard can't do it). But if there isnt (which is kinda crazy) i would think there would be an easy way in the track edit page to set all the velocities to 127 or a certain number. If anyone has any input on either of these issues I would love to hear it. I've done multiple searches on google and mpcforums and i havent found a definitive answer. thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:39 pm
Send Akai a feature request for a button to force all incoming MIDI to 127. But it does seem like it should be down to the controller you are using, even my 25 year old Evolution MIDI keyboard could be set to output at 127.

As for easily changing velocity of all or a selection of notes on a track, this is very simple in grid edit, just select them with the select tool and adjust the velocity in the 'velocity lane'.
By chrisroland Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:20 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Send Akai a feature request for a button to force all incoming MIDI to 127. But it does seem like it should be down to the controller you are using, even my 25 year old Evolution MIDI keyboard could be set to output at 127.

As for easily changing velocity of all or a selection of notes on a track, this is very simple in grid edit, just select them with the select tool and adjust the velocity in the 'velocity lane'.

Not everyone has a velocity sensitive keyboard controller. But even when I try playing in notes on a plugin or keygroup from my Digitone Keys, the hardest strike rarely triggers a velocity higher than 75 or 80, and never close to 127

there should be a simple parameter for plugins/keygroups that is the equivalent of the Full Level button
By arpsongwriter Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:24 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Send Akai a feature request for a button to force all incoming MIDI to 127. But it does seem like it should be down to the controller you are using, even my 25 year old Evolution MIDI keyboard could be set to output at 127.

Thanks for your reply.

I know that many controller keyboards have a "full level" setting. However many do not. For example, most modern small controller keyboards do not have "full level" for the keys (like my mpk mini play mk1 that i unfortunately just purchased , for example). I'm just surprised that mpc's have so much advanced midi stuff but they do not have the ability to set all of the incoming midi velocities to 127 (or to 100 or 50 or whatever you want).

As to your second paragraph, I'm not trying to change the velocities per se. I'm trying to get them all to the same velocity level so that all the notes are uniform. I tried what you suggested and it seems that that is just like turning the volume up and down on the track. The quieter notes are still quieter than the louder notes.

I guess I can just select the velocity lane and do the "slide my finger across the whole velocity grid" technique to get it so all the note velocities are close, as inelegant as that is. But i'd rather not have to go in and edit the velocity on every track after i record it.

Again, i'm just surprised there isnt a global setting or something for keyboards/midi similar to the "full level / half level" setting for the pads so that all of this could be avoided...
By Mista 808 Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:30 pm
This seems to STILL be an issue too! I have a Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 keyboard and when it's not connected to my MPC X I can control the velocity of the notes and fix the velocity at 127 without any problems. But as soon as I connect this keyboard to my MPC X the fixed velocity button does absolutely nothing! To make matters worse, I have to practically punch my keyboard just to get it to play at like 70% velocity. It's annoying as hell and I 100% cannot live this way! Because of this, now I'm probably going to rely on my old goofy ass M-Audio keyboard that's all beat up and been to hell and back. But at least that keyboard has no problems with setting the damn velocity! Shame on Native Instruments for not allowing "fixed velocity" to work while in controller mode connected to the MPC. And shame on Akai for not having a global setting to fix all incoming midi notes to MAX 127 velocity!