Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Otayo20 Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:12 pm
I do my shakers on 16 levels. First take I use the loudest level on a four count. Then I do the next take on one a lil softer filling in. than I do one take one on of the lowest levels fillin in. Or anywhere in between. You can quantize it or not but it sounds like a real shaker.

:wink:

By In-Dent Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Tip: Keep a notebook when mixing down. Record the track name, sample used (if applicable), and mix settings. I don't have a MPC but this really helps when when I'm mixing in Pro Tools.

P.S I can't offer much as far as MPC's go, seeing as that I don't have one yet, but I'll post up some generic stuff.

By es-k Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:34 pm
In-Dent wrote:Tip: Keep a notebook when mixing down. Record the track name, sample used (if applicable), and mix settings. I don't have a MPC but this really helps when when I'm mixing in Pro Tools.

actually a good tip, sometimes shit can get so cluttered that its hard to stay focused on whats what.. and you have to keep interupting your work flow to figure out wtf you're doing

another semi lame tip

make a simple drum loop before laying down your samples.. then delete the drums and reprogram them to fit the sample better..

just an idea that helps me get started sometimes

By dequalsrxt Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:01 pm
If you haven't got any ideas - just mess with things, make crazy sounds and don't even try to get anything done. This is good with whatever, the mpc, synth, etc. I find myself learning more techniques and tricks with my gear if I'm not worried about finishing material, and am just making noise. You try things you might not try if you're actually working on a track. Plus it's fun.

By Screammisery Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:28 pm
If im listening to records, and i find not a whole beat sample, but just say a crazy stab of out of it vocal, i put them onto a disk full of other weird sounds. When iv got a beat made that sounds like it needs something else, maybe something that only happens once in the whole beat to give it some spice, i go back to this disk and see what fits. Some times it works, sometimes it dont.

By cluster Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:33 pm
1.Add your own Artifacts... Easiest way to spice up even the most generic, quantized beat. Take a Filter (in this case I will use a high band filter, and filter out all the lows), So if it was a Drum track that included the A kick, snare, hat, I will hear the highs..Now Take that Filtered Loop, and Reverse it. Now add Reverb, to your Liking, and then Re-Reverse it..
Now, just mix that with the Original Boring Loop, and you have some interesting High Frequency Artifacts, that have a reversed sound..
You can Use this with Different Filters, and Different Effects other then Reverb. One of the greatest Sounds I love, is the sound of Reversed Reverb Drums... So that the Decay comes before the hit. Chop up the filtered beat as well, and add it in periodical.. The biggest concern with music, is keeping the interest of your listener. A small change in a bar, every bar, will have the listener listen longer, then if left unchanged... IT has something to do with our subconscience, and waiting for the norm, while experiencing difference.

2. When using a sound editor, such as Soundforge I also like messing with my own form of a Chorus... I will Copy the whole Track... Then Zoom in to the highest zoom I can, and Mix the whole track a few dots later. It's really a very small use of chorus, but if you adjust how many dots (soundforge, the closest zoom, has dots) you can hear the change in the overall phatness of the mix, without the stuttering dj echo that occurs with wider chorus and mix....

3. Again if your using a sound editor, If you notice after listening on different sources that your mix is lacking in terms of lows, mids, or highs, the easiest way to fix it, is going back to the final stereo mix, and using a filter, then mix the filtered version with the final..

IE Say your Lows are not hitting, Just use a low band pass Filter, and filter out all the highs and mids, then copy that and mix with your original mix, until it sounds okay... If its muddy, try subtractive EQing, then mix...

4. Before You Mix your own tracks, or when you are listening to your own tracks and mixing, take a break and throw on your favorite song in a similar genere, then go back to your mix.. You'll prolly immediately notice something that could be fixed....

5. A while back I was messing around with unconventional recording practices, and I noticed something. Similar to how people view a ghost hit (snare or kick, slightly faint in terms of velocity) I noticed that the use of a Ghost note is also very viable when coming up with melodies...

Not sure if its true, but in the example I came up with. I had a specific melody, and during the bridge I threw in, by mistake, a specific note, that was lower in velocity, and suprisingly the wrong note. The mistake note made up one of the best parts of the song, and although it was the wrong note (as in C vs B or whatever) it fit, and due to its low velocity it changed tonality. It seemed to match with root note of the song. I then played it too a friend who was a musician, and he at first didnt notice the random ghost note, but did compliment the bridge, I then showed him how the note was the wrong note, and he was admazed, its as if the brain filled in the sound correctly, the mismatch, due to the lower velocity... This probably relates to disonaunce and such, but honestly it wasn't dissonaunt.. It fit, and added energy...

5. If your sampler or midi keyboard, allows you to reverse the keys, try it, playing a keyboard that is reversed, is a different experience, and you may come up with different melodys, then the norm.. (ie instead of C0 to F7 or whatever, it goes from F7 to C0)

By In-Dent Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:39 pm
There's an old trick called "New York Compression" it's also known as "Parallel Compression". It's simply copying the mixed down version of something to 2 tracks, and then leaving one track alone, while compressing the other. This is a excellent way to get punch out of drums, while still keeping the natural dynamics. You may need to EQ the compressed track to compensate for the way it all blends.

I haven't tried but I hear if you use this for vocals, setting a fast attack setting, you can make overdubs sound tighter than they really are.

One thing with this trick and pretty much any other tip/trick, is that you can't do it on every mix or part of a mix and expect it to sound better. Always experiment and know what sound your aiming for.

By Upright Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:54 am
cluster wrote:1.Add your own Artifacts...

Wow......good read. thanks for the tips Cluster.

By Upright Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:55 am
This thread may end up a sticky!!1

By Smoove03 Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:26 am
Screammisery wrote:If im listening to records, and i find not a whole beat sample, but just say a crazy stab of out of it vocal, i put them onto a disk full of other weird sounds. When iv got a beat made that sounds like it needs something else, maybe something that only happens once in the whole beat to give it some spice, i go back to this disk and see what fits. Some times it works, sometimes it dont.

not bad...keeping a folder of just weird sounds like that.... i could use stuff like that...

By J.Daniels Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:47 am
Try recording a song without the sequencer. Play an MPC like a live instrument. Even use guitar pedals to tweak em live.

Although i recommend using a metronome.

By es-k Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 pm
J.Daniels wrote:Try recording a song without the sequencer. Play an MPC like a live instrument. Even use guitar pedals to tweak em live.

i dunno how possible this is? well i guess you could make a really long sequence.. like max number of bars as possible.. turn time correction off.. and bang away. it'd be hard to copy/paste and stuff, but i guess thats where the creativity comes in.

definitely an interesting idea.. maybe hard, but could be really cool.. somethin real looooose

By Upright Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:07 pm
J.Daniels wrote:Try recording a song without the sequencer. Play an MPC like a live instrument. Even use guitar pedals to tweak em live.

This is really good idea, one that I have personally used.

Then you can go back a listen to what you made, and use the techniques later, with practice the things you do by mistake can become a part of your regular style.

Pretty neat.

By Screammisery Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:36 pm
es-k wrote:

i dunno how possible this is? well i guess you could make a really long sequence.. like max number of bars as possible.. turn time correction off.. and bang away. it'd be hard to copy/paste and stuff, but i guess thats where the creativity comes in.

definitely an interesting idea.. maybe hard, but could be really cool.. somethin real looooose

I think he means dont press record on the mpc, just play it. So absolutely no quantise, no ppq restrictions.

By J.Daniels Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:37 pm
^^ exactly

Ive been trying it alot latley, and i really like the results.
The sequencer on my sp-404 isnt the greatest, so its nice to have all the freedom i could possibly have, and in addition, get a more human feel.

It also the repetitive looped nature of alot of beats(although alot of tracks do often benefit from that "looped nature")

Or if thats abit too loose for your liking, atleast try recording the samples live over a sequenced drum pattern or visa versa...

on a side note, ive always wanted to create a band where theres just a bumch of guys with MPC's that replicate a real band. ie: someone does drums, someone does the bass etc... but real vocals. Also using guitar wah wah pedals and other effects while banging on em pads...