Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Beat God Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:58 pm
if u have no talent and dedication don't spend your money on gear save it for a house.

-BG

By cooocooo1 Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:20 am
Beat God wrote:if u have no talent and dedication don't spend your money on gear save it for a house.

-BG

or drugs and alcohol...

By Beat God Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am
cooocooo1 wrote:
Beat God wrote:if u have no talent and dedication don't spend your money on gear save it for a house.

-BG

or drugs and alcohol...

or hookers

By J.Daniels Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:05 am
My best kept secret is keeping various hits in single chops. the air/sounds inbetween that snare and hat could make the difference...

By es-k Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:55 am
i've learned some sick things in this thread! thanks guys..

ill add some more later

By Chulukinat Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 am
i got a tip: only use this thread for serious tips n tricks so when it grows big you dont have to search thru all the bullsheit about spendin your money on drugs & alcohol & hookers..... not to be a **** but i think this could be a good topic :wink:

By Upright Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:45 pm
Smoove03 wrote:if any of your chops begin with a kick, set Attack between 8-12 (depending on how loud the kick is)

if any of them begin with a snare, set attack between 8-10 (depending on how loud the snare is)

that way when you program your own drums over the chops, the original drums wont interfere as much! simple but it works great!

------------------

if you find a drum break you like that may fit the sample you're using, try running the break through a lo cut filter and cut out the low freqs. this is going to get rid of the thump in the kick drum. you'll still be able to hear where the kicks are, but it wont THUMP. all that should be left is the nice rolling hats and snare drum (and hopefully the snare is faint!)

now you can program your OWN drums right over the break and possibly use those nice rolling hihats to spice up your own drums! then build from there!

Nice thanks!!1

By es-k Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:43 pm
Chulukinat wrote:i got a tip: only use this thread for serious tips n tricks so when it grows big you dont have to search thru all the bullsheit about spendin your money on drugs & alcohol & hookers..... not to be a **** but i think this could be a good topic :wink:

agreed.

another tip - sometimes when i am at a loss for some sort of breakdown or "turnaround" .. i'll copy one of my 4 bar sequences and change the time sig to 3/4 of 1/4 or something different than what the song is (99.9% of the time its 4/4 obviously). sometimes it works, sometimes it just sounds what.. but yeah, sometimes its like WHOA soooo **** sick.

also, another cool "groove changeup" type thing which will probably be hard to explain is kinda like this.. have most of your song in 4/4 .. then, make a sequence thats 8 bars of 3/4, and play out the drums as if they were 4/4. make sense at all? then on the 8th bar, do a fill back into the normal 4/4 part. so basically what im sayin, is change the time sig to 3/4, play drums as if it were 4/4, and play the samples to the 3/4 beat.. it can create a really cool effect.

also, an obvious drum tip. sometimes dropping a snare out of 1 bar, or the hats out, or the kicks out.. can have a huge effect. i figure most of you know that.. but for new cats reading this thread.. that technique can be very effective

By es-k Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm
Jacpot wrote:Each time you double the kick on the baboom part I like to adjust the attack so it sounds like VABOOM instead of BABOOM.

i like that a lot. can you do that to one kick sample? or should you just use a copy of the kick on another pad?

basically, my question is - can you change the attack of one HIT of a sample.. one event, or whatever

By es-k Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:47 pm
another thing – sometimes you can get an awesome changeup if you copy a sequence.. and completely re-make a part of it. For example, copy a 4 bar loop.. delete all the drums, and make a completely new pattern. Or, do the 4 bar loop, and completely erase the way you flipped your samples.. etc.. if you get stuck, this can be a good way to add some changeups.

By Jacpot Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 pm
es-k wrote:
Jacpot wrote:Each time you double the kick on the baboom part I like to adjust the attack so it sounds like VABOOM instead of BABOOM.

i like that a lot. can you do that to one kick sample? or should you just use a copy of the kick on another pad?

basically, my question is - can you change the attack of one HIT of a sample.. one event, or whatever

Yeah thats what your doing is changing the attack on ONE of the kicks. You dont have to copy the kick or nuthing you can use the same sample...
You would just controll the parameters with the VARIATION SLIDER :idea:

By Smoove03 Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:09 pm
Jacpot wrote:
es-k wrote:

Yeah thats what your doing is changing the attack on ONE of the kicks. You dont have to copy the kick or nuthing you can use the same sample...

cool thanks

By keepitcherry Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:52 pm
Antonym wrote:
if you usually bang out your drums with your right hand, try your left, it will feel like someone else is banging out the drums for ya...

sometimes i sit on my hand for like 20 minutes til it falls asleep and then play drums

i call it the stranger

lol sounds like someone else has seen whipped too

By es-k Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:38 pm
Jacpot wrote:
es-k wrote:

cool stuff man.. i havnt really explored how to edit ONE event without editing the whole sample.. i'll definitely check this out though. i can hear that kick technique in my head.. funkyyyy.. haha

question - with the 1k and the new os.. when you're in "mode + pad 11" .. the EQ and compression part by the FX.. does that just effect the program you're using or does it effect the whole song? something i havnt really been able to figure out. hmm, i guess i could do it by ear, but im not at home.. and i've wondered this for a bit, but kept forgetting.

another one of my techniques - when i am having trouble coming up with a beat.. sometimes i'll sit down with my MPC, and go through a stack of 10 or so randomly picked records.. i'll skip around and record 15 or so small (1 bar or less, usually.. unless its ultra sick) samples from all the different records.. then, i'll make a simple drum track over a 2 or 4 bar loop.. after that, i go through all the samples.,. and pick something i wanna use as my main sample. i then chop it up, and start layin it down.. then i find another one of my previously recorded samples and tune it to the first sample the best i can, and just mash it all up.. sometimes this works better than other times. every now and then you find two samples that blend perfectly together that are from two COMPLETELY different styles of music.. ahh, such a great feeling. haha

By es-k Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:35 pm
uppppin. what you cats got? dont be greedy.. share the love!