Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By misterv Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:37 pm
yo, just a question

what PC software can I use to layer drums ?

By KoolSha178 Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:30 pm
I think yall are making a little to much of this, you dont need no computer, expensive compressors, or special programs to get thick drums, just sample directly from the vinyl through a nice eq (like the one on Vestax DJ mixers) into your MPC, thats it.

By misterv Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:48 pm
sensewondah wrote:any

can I layer samples on SoundForge or Adobe Audition (Cool Edit pro) ?

if yes, how ?

By dame Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:47 am
this is along the same lines as the original question; How do I get my snares sounds to snap?? Ive been listening to old Wu Tang and Prince Paul albums, and they're drum loops are incredible. It sounds so gritty. Is there a technique to this or is this the difference between an MPC and an SP1200??? I love this sound so much... :evil:

By dame Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:54 am
... actually, come to think of it, my question is the opposite. I want my drums to sound weak. Weak is probably a shit word but I cant think of another. That old school RZA, Prince Paul sound. Is this achievable on an MPC???

peace

By cyrus Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:44 pm
^^dame. Yes you can do it on the mpc.

I think you just gotta pick the right drum sounds. Also turn quanize off and get some loose patterns. I think RZAs sound also has to do with the way the drums interact with the bass, and the type of bass sounds he uses.

Try putting a bass hit on the 1:1:00. THen layer that bass hit with a kick drum. Then overdub a kick drum like a 16th right before the bass hit/kick layer. youll get that da dum............da dum like rza..........the "da" is the kick with no bass sound. The "dum" is the layered kick and bass.

oh and RZAs drum sound, (most of them) come from EMU modules or vinyl. Like the emu mophatt, or emu proteous. apply some emu filters to your drums and basses too......youll get a more rza esk sound to your beats.

By hecto Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:39 pm
cyrus wrote:^^dame. Yes you can do it on the mpc.

I think you just gotta pick the right drum sounds. Also turn quanize off and get some loose patterns. I think RZAs sound also has to do with the way the drums interact with the bass, and the type of bass sounds he uses.

Try putting a bass hit on the 1:1:00. THen layer that bass hit with a kick drum. Then overdub a kick drum like a 16th right before the bass hit/kick layer. youll get that da dum............da dum like rza..........the "da" is the kick with no bass sound. The "dum" is the layered kick and bass.

oh and RZAs drum sound, (most of them) come from EMU modules or vinyl. Like the emu mophatt, or emu proteous. apply some emu filters to your drums and basses too......youll get a more rza esk sound to your beats.

bout rza, youve seen the cribs episode with wutang on it? rza's rockin
some beats from triton (?) and shows a gear that's makes your drums fat.
last time i didn't catch the name but imma watch that again soon.

By turo1133 Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:41 am
this is the illset f-n site on the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY THO)
yall r mad helpful
i was wonderin bout that rza ish for a minute

my 2 cents: sample wax only, do it right tha first time!!
get your levels high
eq to quikly blend the mix to make the beat (important!)
and
layering is important for original sounding drums
try layering weird ish (noise. etc..)

KURZWEIL K2000 N 2000XL ALL DAY EVRY DAY

peace yall

By Beat God Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:36 am
this type of thread always comes up and the answer never changes. there r 2 forms of music that rely heavily on the compressor 1 is dance music andf the second is hip hop. both were born out of new york. the new york style of mixing is to compress until u can't compress anymore. this has been the case for decades. i will be honest most people do not know how to use a compressor and even more do not know how to eq. Compression is the key to making drums hit hard. you can possibly get away with not knowing how to eq but if u r stacking drums it is an absolute must. if u stack 4 kicks they are sharing most of the same frequency space, so what happens if 4 people try to sit in the same chair. if 3 of them aint girls then it aint pretty. same thing with bass one u add a bassline to a drum pattern u want the kick and bass to mesh.

some people come from this school of thought: "I want my ish to sound grimey, so i keep everything raw."

The problem with this thinking is that everything u hear on the radio is tracked out at a real recording studio and gets treated with the best gear. just because your favorive producers tracks sound grimey doesn't mean that they were recorded poorly.

my advice is to learn compression and eq well and you will see a whole new world open up for u, and your drums will be sick. it is utterly amazing what an 1176ln and a pultec can do to drums.

anyone who says hip hop isn't about compression really has absolutely no clue whatsoever. novice meet distressor. distressor meet novice

By Anders Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:08 am
Beat God wrote:the new york style of mixing is to compress until u can't compress anymore. this has been the case for decades. i will be honest most people do not know how to use a compressor and even more do not know how to eq. Compression is the key to making drums hit hard. you can possibly get away with not knowing how to eq but if u r stacking drums it is an absolute must.

Beat God, do you EQ your drums after compression or before?

By Beat God Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:17 pm
i eq after compression, because the compressor will change the frequency spectrum of program material.