Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Maleet Tue May 29, 2007 2:32 pm
c0mplex wrote:
This thread started because some one wanted to know how to get bangin drums because theyre drums sounded weak, where everyone explained just take hiphop drums from doin that they aint gonna learn anything.. so where does that get him at end of the day????

If he digs and finds dope drums, he aint gonna be able to turn them into dope hiphop drums coz he would have never learnt, instead people would have "taught" him to just take hiphop drums... he would only be cheatin himself...

Its like havin to play a guitar or some sh!t for some show, then needin to brush up on ur weak points... so u go and ask peeps how u can get these weak points of ur playing better... and they say "just get a session musician to play it for u"..

Is there really such a problem to stear people in a direction so they can do sh!t for themselfs?.... then its on them if they wanna take a quick route and just take some one elses hiphop drums... at least then they will have an understandin at least if no the skills to make the drums fat themselfs.

Those who are truly talented on this board can explain step by step to the kid who wants his drums to sound dope how to get it done, but at the end of the day its not really gonna matter if he ain't got the gift. Our tutorial can help the kid in theory but if he is wack he is wack. Some people just don't get it. There are hundreds of threads out there explaining how to get your drums crispy and techniques for layering and sampling. How do you think I learned??? Nobody taught me sh*t. I dedicated myself to learning my craft by educating myself through reading and research and most importantly trial and error. Everybody should do the same. Nobody held my hand while pressing the pads of my 2000. The game is saturated with wack producers because of this. Some dude's just don't have the gift to make dope beats and thats that. If they want to do it as a hobby fine, but I'm not helping to saturate the culture I love so dearly with wack juice. Yo dudes are insane yo. I just wanted to make a point that its ok to do whats necessary to make your beats hot, if its in good taste. But this turned into some nonsense. This is the last post I will do on this sublject. Peace and blessings.......

myspace.com/maleetbeats

By c0mplex Tue May 29, 2007 2:36 pm
Maleet wrote:but I'm not helping to saturate the culture I love so dearly with wack juice. Yo dudes are insane yo. I just wanted to make a point that its ok to do whats necessary to make your beats hot, if its in good taste. But this turned into some nonsense. This is the last post I will do on this sublject. Peace and blessings.......

myspace.com/maleetbeats

But thats exactly what u doin.. helpin to saturate the culture... teachin people to take other sounds from hiphop instead of dig.. to take some ones personal style and sound from takin theyre beat elements instead of creating theyre own... causin sh!t to be stale and aload of cats gettin false props for bangin drums they have not put anything into.. no diggin no processing nothing...

Thats called saturatin the culture

By Smoove03 Tue May 29, 2007 2:58 pm
im glad this thread never got locked....

Maleet I agree with that man. Some should be making music and some shouldnt. not saying that the thread starter isnt talented. I dont know them and dont know their music. but to those who really shouldnt be making music, I agree with Maleet's statement 100%

I also see where complex is coming from. I understand totally. But I agree with maleet more when it comes to getting things done.

this is how my past has been....I've sampled any drums from anywhere that I've heard if I like the sound of them. This is what happens with those sounds. They get sampled, they get chopped/trimmed, they get named and saved, they get moved to a drum folder amidst hundreds if not thousands of other drum samples for later use. When that time comes and I have a beat going and those specific drums sound good over my beat, I load them up. But when I look for drums, I load up LOTS of drums. That way I can compare the sound, layer them, and really make the drums fit the track (whatever process that might include). So thats where the processing comes in. So in a way, if I was to sample a kick and snare from an old hiphop track, in the end im still editing the sound and making it fit the track im using. once those drums are layed down and i add more drums over top of that, you would never know. wether or not the original artist mixed the drum well or whatever! a drum is a drum to me.

but i've been around the block. i've sampled from anything. and I cant sit here and say i've sampled a lot of hiphop. I havent, but I have before and the track I made came out pretty good. and trust me I put in the work to make the track sound good wether I got the drums from a hiphop source or not

By keepitcherry Tue May 29, 2007 4:28 pm
thank god there are people who break "rules". imagine if back in the day when marley marl first discovered he could chop up breaks, after everything was put together and the beat was soundin dope he sat back and said, "man....im just gonna scrap this, what i did is against the rules". its f*ckin crazy to me to read some of the stuff on here. some of you guys are completely ok with taking a 4 bar loop, essentially "stealing" other music whether it be a guitar solo, some rhodes keys, etc. but you are against taking a one shot kick or snare from a hip hop song? i've never personally done it, but i'm sure countless have including some of your favorite producers. this is HIP HOP music, we're taking snippets of music and putting it in new context. i mean this sh*t is straight comedy to me. its like one rule applies to samples and one rule applies to drums with some of you guys, when they are ALL samples. what about the drummer who played the break, the dude who mic'ed up the kit, the engineer etc etc. there are some elitist mother f*ckers up in this forum. at the end of the day we're all sampling and our music wouldn't be possible without the musicians with whose music we are using. it makes me laugh to think some of you would criticize another producer for taking a kick from a hip hop song, but then its ok to take a 4 bar loop as long as you eq, compress, and filter your "own" drums over it. please. pot, meet kettle.

By c0mplex Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 pm
People just dont seem to understand digging and diggin for breaks to sample as apposed to samplin hiphop tracks.

Yeah lets have all the new generation loose the diggin culture even more.. keep samplin from hiphop tracks for drums.. it will even get to the point they samplin melodys from hiphop tracks.. and turn even more bullsh!t..

theres already enough bullsh!t from the new generations.,.. i was searchin for ny hiphop that i havent heard before on myspace and i spent over 5 hours through the search pages and couldnt find anything remotly good.

Enjoy sampling ur hiphop drums, ur only cheating urself.

By Maleet Tue May 29, 2007 8:02 pm
Maleet wrote:I wanna add one more thing, if all your doing is sampling your drums from other hip hop records and not digging at all, and not even caring where those drums you sampled originally came from then you are breaking the rules!!! I can say I sample drums from any source with no shame because I have paid my dues, gotten my fingers dusty, and I know drum breaks. I have nothing to prove. But for those of you just starting out, do your homework and keep it funky. Peace

www.myspace.com/maleetbeats

Complex you must of overlooked when I wrote this on the last page.....
I've been digging all my life fam, and I always keep it dusty. All my padawan's get hit with the same knowledge my brother. Keep it funky, cause I ain't the one.

By 93 Kid Wed May 30, 2007 1:02 am
The only rule in hip hop is no biting...be original. Taking Kev's drums to get Kev's sound = biting.

If you take his sounds and do something new to it...that's a different story.

By jacko Wed May 30, 2007 10:50 am
agreed.

By jonnyscratch Wed May 30, 2007 11:52 am
The only rules are . . . ther eare no rules.

Music would be staid and boring if everybody did the same ish. Do you eff what everyone else thinks.

Now in the immortal words of Mills Lane:

"Lets get it on!"

Peace

By c0mplex Wed May 30, 2007 12:49 pm
jonnyscratch wrote:The only rules are . . . ther eare no rules.

Peace

The no biting rule is so peeps dont do the same ish.. for peeps to have theyre own sound and not steal some one elses....

93 Kid wrote:The only rule in hip hop is no biting...be original. Taking Kev's drums to get Kev's sound = biting.

If you take his sounds and do something new to it...that's a different story.

By eoneel Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:29 pm
Say someone takes a drum sample from a Tool song, as opposed to taking a drum sample from a Brotha lynch Hung song. I honestly don't see the difference. You can't tell me it's ok to take somthing from a Tool song because the drummer from Tool DOES'NT have HIS own style? yeah right. Everybody has their own style whether it be instinctual, learned, borrowed, stealed, or whatever. In any type of sampling that person is still "digging" for sound. From the sound of it, alot of people think that if you sample from another source other than HipHop, it's ok because you are filtering,EQ'ing the sample. So does that mean if one filters and adds compresion to a HipHop sample it's ok? Maybe people will just start making sample based music and not calling it HipHop so they can have freedom in doing what they want again. Isn't that part of what HipHop is about? Sampling is sampling, and good tracks are good tracks.

Re:

By twisted-roots Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:41 pm
c0mplex wrote:
Zukan wrote:Interesting debate this.

Just to try to understand what is being said here:

If you were to sample a Hip Hop track from today in 10 years time, would that make it legit as it's 'old'?
Or is it still uncool because it's Hip Hop?

I am just trying to bend my head around what makes it legit and what makes it wack.

Nah thats wrong to sample hiphop... not somin thats already been sampled like that, Its about diggin for old unknown sh!t (which usually becomes known after its been used.. but to stop sh!t goin stale peeps need to keep diggin for original samples).

When it comes to actually diggin the breaks and samples u dig for properly dont have to be "that" old.. plenty of hiphop like madlibs sh!t... Dangermouse.. all kinds sh!t was sampled from 80's library records like ones from the KPM series's etc etc...

Its just not cool to sample from hiphop tracks that peeeps have taken the time to dig the samples.. chop them and work them.. layer.. eq, etc etc... that takes alot of work and investment, and time. And skills.. wether its the diggin skills.. the beat makers skills when it comes to the processing (eqin, filterin, layering etc)... etc

You do realise more or less every beat maker in hip hop samples other hip hop? hip hop isnt about digging for old shit, thats a personal interest in my opinion.. damn man people are too concerned with being 'hip hop' yet I dont see anybody with high top fades 1 leather glove and abc 123 rhymes break dancing while spraying a graff piece.... that's hip hop.
By jpeg Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am
haha jokes this is new skool vs old some of the peeps in this thread neva been out to actually dig for records or neva saved up for equipment.

i think it aint a good look to sample exclusive off other hip hop dudes drums but i aint as hard line about it as before.

cos yeah if u make something dope then its neither here nor there.

but u should learn to source ur own sounds and how to process drums to ur liking as this will build ur own signature sound.

but we have to remember alot of dudes aint trying to be professionals, alot of these cats used to collect stamps and now that peeps like clouded and anticon got popular they feel to make beats cos the emo rap hip hop appeals to them.

alot of the dude posting neva listened to old beatminerz, ditc, and other early 90's sound so they aint familiar with the ethics of that era and they dont care either.

now bare in mind mind when hip cats first started sampling musicians was cussing them for jacking shit so..
By Clint Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:11 pm
Kev will smile if he sees this, he does post on this forum.

Re:

By browniez Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 pm
coles_brandon wrote:A sound thats been sampled and resampled over and over is still a sound. If you want to sample Kev browns drums so be it. If its against your religion then dont piss your god off. But Pete Rock sampled a drum so you sample rock sample kev brown. It doesnt matter. Yall cats with hours of time to burn can dig, edit, chop, timestretch, layer, and compress to get one good kick. If that makes you feel better knowing you did all that, cool---in essence its lame especially if you can have a free steak instead of shooting the cow, skin it, boil the meat for a day, then season and cook it.

kicks seem to be the easiest thing to program. you could easily making a kick by throwing a low pass on a number of thigns. it's the snares that require the most agility and work.