Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By dmarz45 Tue May 08, 2007 7:45 pm
kev brown has some of the nicest drum sounds ever.. i know he eqs them and all that but all the drum sounds i have are more gritty and grimey then that mellow type stuff he has... alot of his drums sound "natural" as where mine usually sound too artificial... anybody have any tips?

By Jacpot Tue May 08, 2007 7:49 pm
Try sampling different drums

By dmarz45 Wed May 09, 2007 5:19 am
where can i find drum sounds like that? he says he samples records but i can never find a clean drum sound on a record that sounds like it could be used at ALL

By jonnyscratch Wed May 09, 2007 11:47 am
Keep diggin'

visit http://www.the-breaks.com Have a look at what other cats used for their drums. Then find those records and hey presto!!!

Drums

Peace

By c0mplex Wed May 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Also learn to layer drums and eq them correctly (and chop them correctly too because tightly chopped drums makes all the difference to poor chopped ones), u can totally shape ur drums like that (with layering and eq'n them correctly) and achieve the sound ur looking for, even from the wackest drum sounds.

Dont just f**k with the eq any old way, learn how to eq properly and how to eq drums.. it makes a hell of alot of difference.

By bicedidit Wed May 09, 2007 2:13 pm
since u have a sampler, y dont u sample some of his drums?

By c0mplex Wed May 09, 2007 4:02 pm
bicedidit wrote:since u have a sampler, y dont u sample some of his drums?

Thats the wackest thing i ever heard... u dont sample other hiphop tracks and rip peeps sh!t off.

If u want to make good sh!t, u learn to make it.. he spent time and money diggin for samples.. learnin to work them right, for equipment and learning to use it correctly, learning to eq them right to achieve his sound etc etc, u dont just rip that sh!t off

By dopedee Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm
i wouldnt sample other hip hop tracks either. You just need to make more beats man. Comes with practice and being around it so much. you slam or you dont.

but yo complex you feel that way about all sampling? Cause to be honest when you take a gtr riff (or whatever sample for that matter) from an old record you too are in a way just ripping sounds off artists for sure who spent time and money learning to work there equimp[ment

By bicedidit Wed May 09, 2007 4:42 pm
c0mplex wrote:
bicedidit wrote:since u have a sampler, y dont u sample some of his drums?

Thats the wackest thing i ever heard... u dont sample other hiphop tracks and rip peeps sh!t off.

If u want to make good sh!t, u learn to make it.. he spent time and money diggin for samples.. learnin to work them right, for equipment and learning to use it correctly, learning to eq them right to achieve his sound etc etc, u dont just rip that sh!t off

i mean, i havent sampled other hip hop producers, but i dont see anything wrong with it. i agree that kev brown puts time and effort into his music, but we sample. we take other ppls music that had time and effort put into it, probably more so than kev browns work, and re-arrange or straight jack it. so whats the difference?
didnt nas use eric b and rakim drums on that 'who killed hip hop"?

By bicedidit Wed May 09, 2007 4:47 pm
actually i did make a beat once where i wanted some crunchy drums so i sampled a pete rock snare and layered it to make it different. i wasnt trying to replicate petes sounds, i was trying to replicate the sp/12 bit sound the best way i new how, so i sampled petes drums. waalah. the finished product was fire. who cares where it came from?

By c0mplex Wed May 09, 2007 5:25 pm
When we sample.. we spend NUFF TIME and sh!t diggin for records... diggin properly.. old forgotton sh!t,, soul.. funk.. rock, psyc rock, progressive jazz / rock etc etc...

Diggin for ur sounds is just as much part of it.. also learning to work ur sh!t with eq and compression etc etc..

U DONT sample other hiphop producers beats.. thats WACK and its against the rules of this sh!t..

If ur gonna sample, dig properly, find sh!t properly and work it ur own way to get the sound u want, dont steal drums and sh!t from another hiphop track that aint how it works.

By c0mplex Wed May 09, 2007 5:26 pm
bicedidit wrote:actually i did make a beat once where i wanted some crunchy drums so i sampled a pete rock snare

I bet if u told him that ud get slapped up

By bicedidit Wed May 09, 2007 5:52 pm
c0mplex wrote:When we sample.. we spend NUFF TIME and sh!t diggin for records... diggin properly.. old forgotton sh!t,, soul.. funk.. rock, psyc rock, progressive jazz / rock etc etc...

Diggin for ur sounds is just as much part of it.. also learning to work ur sh!t with eq and compression etc etc..

U DONT sample other hiphop producers beats.. thats WACK and its against the rules of this sh!t..

If ur gonna sample, dig properly, find sh!t properly and work it ur own way to get the sound u want, dont steal drums and sh!t from another hiphop track that aint how it works.

cool. ur opinions have been duly noted.

By Deta!L Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 pm
don't be corny, the only rule to making music is to make good music