Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Maleet Fri May 25, 2007 2:17 am
jacko wrote:in my opinion if you were writing an essay and you wanted to reference a great author you would quote the ORIGINAL text and not a quote of a quote.
get me?

if you were a great collage artist you would never cut out an image from another collage artists work and put it in yours - unless you were commenting on that work.

we may be beating a dead horse here but I had to get that off my chest.

Some real hipocrite sh*t. Fam your gonna tell me that you never sampled drums from a break record? Thats "Quoting a quote" is it not??? We are talking about drums here!!! So let me ask you something else, lets say I used the same drums that Dilla used for "Fall in love" by Slum Village. But I had that Iron butterfly record in my drum stash? Would you know if you heard my beat if I sampled the drums from the Slum Village record or from the Iron Butterfly record, and would it matter if I told you knowing that I own both records? Yo your favorite producers have been sampling drum break records since jump. This is a culture based on borrowing to make new compostions. The rules only apply when good taste is in question. It all boils down to the end result, we can argue all day but guess what if your sh*t is wack its wack no matter where you sample it from. C'mon people don't let these fanatics steer you wrong. Do what you got to do to make your beats sound official. Period

www.myspace.com/maleetbeats

By Maleet Fri May 25, 2007 2:28 am
I wanna add one more thing, if all your doing is sampling your drums from other hip hop records and not digging at all, and not even caring where those drums you sampled originally came from then you are breaking the rules!!! I can say I sample drums from any source with no shame because I have paid my dues, gotten my fingers dusty, and I know drum breaks. I have nothing to prove. But for those of you just starting out, do your homework and keep it funky. Peace

By parkerlewis Mon May 28, 2007 7:36 am
Anyone who just said 'don't sample hip hop!' is tripping.

Sample whatever you need to get the job done.

The truth is that nobody on here knows where every producer gets there drums from. I know doom has madlib send him cd's full of drums sounds, and I know that Kanye mainly samples from CD's (samples in general, not just drums)....and how many forum people say 'don't sample from cd's, only vinyl!" blah blah....

If you can find some nice drums on their own, on ANY source, TV, Vinyl, CD, Video's.....take em! You can never have enough.

Can't believe the crap I read on here.....

By Maleet Mon May 28, 2007 1:08 pm
parkerlewis wrote:

Can't believe the **** I read on here.....

I've been saying that since I joined this forum.

By EMFinite Mon May 28, 2007 3:00 pm
im not against sampling hip hop, but i am against sampling from hip hop records that have 'signature' sounds.. alot of producers have their own style/sound that simply put, you just cant take..

they went through it all to shape their shht into a custom piece.. and for someone to come along a snatch it, is just not acceptable to me..

By c0mplex Mon May 28, 2007 3:27 pm
EMFinite wrote:they went through it all to shape their shht into a custom piece.. and for someone to come along a snatch it, is just not acceptable to me..

CO SIGN!!!

By soul:jah Mon May 28, 2007 4:01 pm
parkerlewis wrote:Anyone who just said 'don't sample hip hop!' is tripping.

I know enough guys who are saying "don't sample hip hop" cause they see younger cats sampling only straight from Hip Hop-Lp's, sample disks & break comps and this is really wack...if sample sum BD's from a Hip Hop record it's allright i think ,but if u do that allday/everyday you completely kill all innovation in the Beat culture, it's like having incest...

By Science Mon May 28, 2007 4:59 pm
c0mplex wrote:
bicedidit wrote:since u have a sampler, y dont u sample some of his drums?

Thats the wackest thing i ever heard... u dont sample other hiphop tracks and rip peeps sh!t off.

If u want to make good sh!t, u learn to make it.. he spent time and money diggin for samples.. learnin to work them right, for equipment and learning to use it correctly, learning to eq them right to achieve his sound etc etc, u dont just rip that sh!t off

ummmm, didnt kev brown sample some else work to get the drums he got? :shock:

By DoNutS Mon May 28, 2007 8:04 pm
If you fight against sampling hiphop drums then stop using your sampler, cause in a way when you are sampling other's music : you r stealing their sound.

So don't feel insecure cause you think it's cheating or easier to sample hiphop drums. If you feel bad when/if peeps sample your drums then you feel what the artists feel when they heard their own music sampled.

It's called "THE STOLEN ROBBER" !

Bye...

By TheFirstJimBo Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 pm
Maleet wrote:Can't believe the sh!t I read on here.....

By Maleet Tue May 29, 2007 12:26 pm
DoNutS wrote:If you fight against sampling hiphop drums then stop using your sampler, cause in a way when you are sampling other's music : you r stealing their sound.

So don't feel insecure cause you think it's cheating or easier to sample hiphop drums. If you feel bad when/if peeps sample your drums then you feel what the artists feel when they heard their own music sampled.

It's called "THE STOLEN ROBBER" !

Bye...

Now this guy gets the idea!!!! You other dudes are wilding.

By jnorth Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm
god this thread is still going? Shut **** up n make some beats damn it!

By jnorth Tue May 29, 2007 12:45 pm
Maleet wrote:I wanna add one more thing, if all your doing is sampling your drums from other hip hop records and not digging at all, and not even caring where those drums you sampled originally came from then you are breaking the rules!!! I can say I sample drums from any source with no shame because I have paid my dues, gotten my fingers dusty, and I know drum breaks. I have nothing to prove. But for those of you just starting out, do your homework and keep it funky. Peace

I dig too but seriously who cares where a kick drum was taken from if the track overall is a banger? Now you know how your favourite Jazz musician feels when you take 4 f*king bars of his track.

I'm not really bothered about people using same drum samples. What i'm bothered about is people raping each others styles and sounding too alike. Thats whats wrong with hip-hop these days. F*ck getting in a bother about sampling one hip-hop kick.

Who cares? Do your thing and make some beats. GAAAAAAWWWWD!
Last edited by jnorth on Tue May 29, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Smoove03 Tue May 29, 2007 12:57 pm
i've gotten drums from EVERYWHERE lol

i cant lie. yo id sample the homeless dude outside bang on his bucket if it sounded dope enough. think he'd be mad?

he probly wouldnt know cause when I got that sh!t home, I make it my own! trust me, majority of folks here do what they can when they can. and if that means sampling that vicious digable planets break and choppin it to pieces and building on that then so be it...........

man if everybody in YOUR MUSIC posted a beat with no description just the beat and asked for comments, i dont give a sh!t where they drums came from. if it sounds right then aye, good for you brother!! and if they manned up and said yo i sampled arrested development they had a dope break, and they beat sounded great to me, i seriously wouldnt care where they got em.

By c0mplex Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm
Alot of musicians who we sample from understand it and the creativity behind it as, and are also apreciative that we feel theyre music like we do and interprate it into our own way.. just take bob james for instance... ron carter.. and so many others, they have even started workin with hiphop artists collabin etc.. and regardless to when they do or dont its still our duty alot of the time to actually do something with it and make it our own through our own interpretation and skills knowing how to reach that point and the sound we hear in our heads...

This thread started because some one wanted to know how to get bangin drums because theyre drums sounded weak, where everyone explained just take hiphop drums from doin that they aint gonna learn anything.. so where does that get him at end of the day????

If he digs and finds dope drums, he aint gonna be able to turn them into dope hiphop drums coz he would have never learnt, instead people would have "taught" him to just take hiphop drums... he would only be cheatin himself...

Its like havin to play a guitar or some sh!t for some show, then needin to brush up on ur weak points... so u go and ask peeps how u can get these weak points of ur playing better... and they say "just get a session musician to play it for u"..

Is there really such a problem to stear people in a direction so they can do sh!t for themselfs?.... then its on them if they wanna take a quick route and just take some one elses hiphop drums... at least then they will have an understandin at least if no the skills to make the drums fat themselfs.