Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By mullethed Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:50 pm
???

Im running my mpc as a stand alone but am thinking of breakin into the computer thang.

I use a mac at work but could get in with PC's

"which is best and why??"

cheers for ya comments

m*

:)[/color]

By llasher Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:23 am
You've brought up the 2 of the biggest chin nuts, I mean chestnuts, in asking about the Mac vs PC and Logic v VST debate. Even more relevant since Apple consumed emagic.

Anyway, having absolutely zero experience with Macs since the days of the Classic II, all I can talk about is the PC. PCs for music were (perhaps justifiably) maligned in the past, but I think things are-a-changin.

In particular I would recommend a DAW based around an AMD CPU and with the money you save on that you can buy (or upgrade to) Cubase SX. I run it with XP (or with W2K) and I have to say it is rock solid. As I said, I dunno about Macs, but this system is the best I've used in a PC, and my impression is that they're fast catching up with Macs in the DAW stakes.

My 2 cents.

llasher :;):

By Aurelius Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:09 am
llasher, I'm a pc man, work and play but have never really been feeling the sequencing side of the pc market.  Tried it before I got my MPC and found it too restricting, feel?
What I want to know is what are the advantages of having the MPC hooked up to a pc?  I know #### is good for vocals and cutting an' #### but is the actual sequencing part of the software as "tight" as a hardware sequencer?  Is my opinion based on an "Old fashioned" way of thinking - you know - you take the boy out for the country but you can't take the country out of the boy - nah mean...[/color]

By llasher Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:28 am
is the actual sequencing part of the software as "tight" as a hardware sequencer?

Look, I'm new to hardware sequencing, but in my limited and humble experience/opinion as far as stability/timing HW is super stable, and a good firm-buttocked and tweaked PC (such as my W2k/XP-Cubase SX based setup) is just very stable. I reckon the trouble with PC sequencing is dedication. There are just too many weak points in a PC: the OS, seq software, drivers, not too mention all the other stuff that goes on in the Micro$oft background compared to a box which does nuttin' else but clockin'.

As for your question about hooking up MPC to a 'puter, do you mean MIDI syncing? Or hooking up audio to use the PC as a HD recorder? or both?

Anyway, whatever I blabber on about: 1) plenty of people are happy with PC based sequencing, and 2) I agree with you that a VDU/PC is great for waveform editing and mixing/tracking vocals and such on the cheap.[/color]

By Aurelius Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:21 am
I guess in essence I'm looking to control other midi equipment with the mpc and also to use as a harddisk recorder.  I think my problem is maybe I want to do too much.  I hear so much stuff from differnent sources about how this is better than that and how if you're doing that then you need this, s*** get kinda confusing.  I've always believed that a simple setup is the best setup.  The more "other" stuff you have to concentrate on the more you're not thinking about the music.
Much love for the prompt response - seems as though your're logging on from work also! 1.[/color]

By llasher Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:42 am
I've always believed that a simple setup is the best setup.

Tell it like it is sister.

seems as though your're logging on from work also!

Naah! I'm in the Southern hemisphere man. It's night time here!