Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

Bydavearb Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:05 am
Hello,
I am pretty keen to gets some FX for my MPC2000XL, however i'm not too sure which way to go.  I have come across a Ensoniq DP4 for sale, cheaper than an EB16 card.  Does anyone have a little advice on which way to go.  

Many thanks,
Davearb :D

By Tribe O' Judah Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:09 pm
davearb,

I'm not sure of the EB16. I'm curious myself, but the DP4 is an excellent unit. I wish I had one myself. I own an Ensoniq
TS-10 which uses the many of the same fx. They sound really good. Producers like Babyface and Boys II Men use to use these units to track with and in their concerts. You won't be disappointed.

How much do they want for it? Do they have anymore?[/color]

By Dr. Kunz Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:10 pm
EB-16 is a quad processor unit, with programmable parameters for all fx.     2 units are multi-fx (delay-modulation-eq-reverb) with various algorithms, the other 2 are reverb type fx only.   Each MPC instrument (pad) can be sent to any of 4 Aux Send which feed the fx unit.  The overall quality is not "top of the top", but it is rather good for the class of product and easy to use for sound design.    IMO it is a "must" for live sets because you don't have to bother with external units, cables and so on;  if you plan to use external fx processors get yourself the 8 outputs option board and an adequate mixer.

best regards
  Dr. Kunz[/color]

Bydavearb Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:26 am
Tribe O' Judah wrote:davearb,

I'm not sure of the EB16. I'm curious myself, but the DP4 is an excellent unit. I wish I had one myself. I own an Ensoniq
TS-10 which uses the many of the same fx. They sound really good. Producers like Babyface and Boys II Men use to use these units to track with and in their concerts. You won't be disappointed.

How much do they want for it? Do they have anymore?

Tribe O' Judah,

Thanks for the advise, unfortunately I missed out on getting it.  They were asking for $600 (Aussie dollars = approx $300 USD).  But from what i've heard i'll be keeping my eyes open for another.  

Thanks again,
Davearb

By Lord_XtaC Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:28 pm
I would say go with the Ensoniq DP/4! I got one off ebay 4 months ago and I can't leave it alone. It can do "efx chains" on inputs I think 4 to whatever line you connect it to flange>chorus>reverb>delay like that to your voice and you'll know exactly what I mean. This unit rules! :)[/color]

By D Rocka Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:54 am
roll with the dp 4 homie. the studio i work at has 2, but i ain't gettin any of em 4 free. the effects board 4 the mpc 2k xl is aiigt, but the dp 4 is worth the money[/color]

By deanovinson Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:28 pm
Does the DP 4 have midi. If so could you midi dump your fx data into the MPC so you may bring the song data up at a later time. How do most of you guys have an external processor hooked up. I had the EB-16 and really didn't care for it much. Deano[/color]