Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By llasher Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:19 am
So I bought an MPC, but not just for live playing, I'd like to record from it to computer. No worries, I have the sync worked out with Cubase SX, connected the digi outs from the MPC to the ins of my Gina soundcard. smooth. Thing is, I'm used to having each instrument on a separate track, so I can eq/fx them. THat's easy enuf, I just record in several separate passes onto different tracks.

Trouble is I love that Next Seq and Track Mute stuff to play around with in real time. Too bad that stuff can't be recorded as MIDI data. The only way I can work out to do it is to do one seq at a time and do the delete muted tracks thing for each seq, but this interrupts the flow. Or alternatively just record everything as a stereo track and do the eqing on the whole track.

Anyone have any thoughts, tips or ideas on how they use an MPC and record to HD?

llasher ???

By Pukeism Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:29 pm
Scsi from your mpc, to scsi in your computer. Or you can get an interface. Really depends on your money, and what you really wanna do. And just do 1 track at a time. Mute all the others. And just route the tracks to whatever track you want it on on whatever program you choose to use.[/color]

By Notorious M.P.C Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:21 pm
Pukeism wrote:Scsi from your mpc, to scsi in your computer. Or you can get an interface. Really depends on your money, and what you really wanna do. And just do 1 track at a time. Mute all the others. And just route the tracks to whatever track you want it on on whatever program you choose to use.[/color]

You cant do "scsi to scsi" on an mpc....[/color]

By Justice Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:03 pm
Yeah??? that ish won't work man!!![/color]

By Pukeism Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:34 pm
I've went scsi from a 2000xl straight into wav lab at a friends place. And was able to edit samples and make pgms.[/color]

By -{n8}- Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:40 pm
Back to the question at hand, if you really feel the track mute buttons you should record your track on the computer and use your mpc as a remote to trigger events in cubase. I can't tell you exactly how it's done cause I use nuendo myself but basically you just set up a remote and assign the mpc pads to certain functions (like mute or arm record etc). It makes for the same effect (if you record the automation) and is alot better than the mpc track mute cause you get to edit it. You can control a lot of software functions using midi messages from you mpc. It's almost like having one of those fancy controllers but without the faders.

Beware my friend; this method will only work well under certain circumstances. If you have a part that is very busy (sounds overlapping) and you want to cut in and out it may not sound as clean a cut as on the mpc (just because this method mutes a recording and the mpc prevents an event from triggering). You may have to edit the cut a little (depending on how your automation works). With nuendo when a mute automation is recorded it just drops the volume so I can go in there later and make it a fade rather than a straight cut if needed.

The best thing you can do though create many different variations of the same sequence and record it in that way using the song mode to switch up the sequences (like next seg button only better). I usually use this automation method after I've got the beat recorded in just to add a little touch up here and there to parts that were not significant enough to waste my time program. I could post a template if you interested (not sure if nuendo programs transfere well over to cubase sx).

Hope this helps ya out.[/color]

By -{n8}- Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:02 am
I also forgot to mention another option you might have. Could you not record the midi information from your mpc sequences to the computer and set the mpc to slave the computer (mtc) while you edit your sequence data from the computer adding breaks etc?

From there would it be a matter of exporting the midi files and reloading the newly edited sequences back into the mpc to construct the beat in song mode for recording? If some one is already doing this method or a similar thing please let me know if this is possible. If you didn't want to edit a whole midi song in cubase is it also possible to export each sequence from the mpc into separate midi files and then importing them into a program such as reason or fruity loops where you could then edit them individually?

One question I'm wondering is whether or not the computer will know which programs correspond with the various midi events. Is there some way that you could set the computer's midi output channels (say channel 1 is the kick channel 2 is the snare and so on) to trigger the correct mpc pads/samples/programs?  I think alot of guy here would like to possibly do something like this as it will allow you edit the program easily making adding breaks alot faster than in separate sequences. Never mind that you could totally rehash an entire song if this method is affective.

Come to think of it why bother exporting the midi when you can play back the midi from the computer (like an emu sound mod) and replace that track with the recorded audio version of it? Or would there be significant timing inadequacies? If you were sequencing an entire song in cubase rather than a loop wouldn't you have to separate the midi song into separate bars if you were going to import it back into the mpc? Is there another way to record the info back into the mpc or should you bother?

It's an interesting concept and I have yet to try it. Anyone out there have any experience with this?[/color]