Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By selecta jo Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm
just get a couple more dollars and go with the sony mdr-7506 - nothing better in that pricerange imo...
they are nice and flat and very revealing - some don´t like them on listening tests but that is the nature of a clear monitor.

peace jo
By GRMM D Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:26 pm
i got a pair of sony monitors that ran me $100 and some change. dont kno what they are but ive had a few pair of $100 sony headphones. havent been dissapointed yet. i have those rp5's so they come in handy when monitoring bass better that the speakers do.
By EMBARK Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:11 pm
man steer clear of sony imho.
they have terrible bass response, even when they say that they are bass heavy

and you arent getting a clear sound, they are really dusty, not that muddy washed out sound some cats talk about, but just seriously like they have shit loads of dust in the cans!

ive spend my time testing a few, working at a retailer for headphones and other ipod type accesories, i have always come back to Sennheiser headphones. crazy cans for the money

pick up a pair of HD202's for the entry level, or for more bass responsive muffs grab the 212's.

hope this is helpful.
By thedvs01 Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:03 am
I second the Sony MDR-7506 and advise against the Sennheiser HD280

I bought the 280s and was having all sorts of trouble with them -- driver distortion during sections that weren't clipping and had no reason to be distorting and also sections of mixes that were perfectly audible on my speakers but nowhere to be found when listening on the headphones. The Senn's have a very odd frequency response - if you want to do accurate mixing on the headphones then I suggest you steer clear.

I returned them and got the Sony's and have been very pleased - there is no problem with the bass response in my opinion. They have a very flat frequency response, so any bass will remain true to the original recording. If you want more bass, use an EQ.

Don't rely on your headphones to boost frequency ranges. Rely instead on EQ. Flat is desirable when looking for headphones for monitoring.
By namotu Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 am
Teknokeyz wrote:For $49.99 more you can get top of the line with the ATH-M50, read about these man, these are really the best u can do for that much, probably all around.

yeah i got the same pair. there great, no complaints, and they sound amazing.
they won the 'remix' award for headphones not that long ago.

and there comfortable as hell man
By dabmeister Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 pm
namotu wrote:
Teknokeyz wrote:For $49.99 more you can get top of the line with the ATH-M50, read about these man, these are really the best u can do for that much, probably all around.

yeah i got the same pair. there great, no complaints, and they sound amazing.
they won the 'remix' award for headphones not that long ago.

and there comfortable as hell man

Co-sign, I use a pair of ATH-D40fs's myself, nice for the price, they sound real good for their price range & they're well put together.
By legs mechanical Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 pm
akg k240s. you can usually find really good used pairs fairly cheap. they're incredibly comfortable and whatever i mix with them always translates really well. (you're not gonna get that big bass that you would from close-backed head phones, but every time i mix with phones that do my truck nearly falls apart from the bass mix.) incredibly clear sound for mixing. picks out shit i never would haven noticed before.

make sure you check out the "studio" ver. and not the "monitor" ver. monitor gives you flatter response, but the studio gives you a little more volume and bass (while still pretty flat response)
By cda Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:10 pm
Being old and deaf, I need a LOT of volume and I have had many pairs of headphones die on me over the years. I finally tried a pair of Sennheisers and they took everything I could give them so I've stuck with that make.
By Seasinz Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:51 pm
i copped a pair of audio technica ATH M50's for tracking not too long ago and im lovin em.
the bass response on these things is amazing.
havent touched my sennheiser hd25's since i got these.
By Teknokeyz Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 am
Seasinz wrote:i copped a pair of audio technica ATH M50's for tracking not too long ago and im lovin em.
the bass response on these things is amazing.
havent touched my sennheiser hd25's since i got these.

Seems like the ATH-M50's are getting the most request so far.