Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Roswell Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:14 pm
I'm mixing together an orchestrated intro track to a song,
and when mixing it down, im not sure where to place the various instruments in the track, left, right, or center.

These are the instruments:

Low strings
High strings
Low trumpet
High trumpet
Brass
Percussion

Much appreciated if someone can help me out, or just give some suggestions!!

Roswell

By Pukeism Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Listin to an orch. Or take a look at a picture of a orch. see were they set up there sections. I wouldnt pan anything hard to the L or R tho.[/color]

By Roswell Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:52 pm
Yah i thought so too when listening to the mix..
it sounds crappy when all panned completely to the left or right..
you kind of want it to sound either in the center or a little off to the side..
it has to build on top of each other..
thats what it sounds like to me...!
I gotta look at a picture of an orchestra to see where they place the instruments...[/color]

By EdwardSakamura Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:46 am
drums in the rear, horns behind strings, strings up front.

IE
Drums ---Center---Drums
Horns--Center--Horns
Strings-Center-Strings
holla[/color]

By Roswell Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:34 am
So i want the drums to be the quietest, and the strings to be the loudest?
or this is just the way they set it up...

once i change the Orchestrated intro into a hip hop beat
( im gonna flip it up ) i guess i can do whatever i want hey?
I want the drums to really pound.[/color]

By Justice Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:49 am
it won't be real loud, just more upfront in the mix!!! Paning is'nt the same as volume, think about it. U can have u'r kick hard panned to the left or right but if the volume is higher it'll be loud but behind in the mix(not that I would do that to a kick, I usually keep them in the center)

Peace[/color]

By motorpitch Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:57 pm
hi,

i'm an audio engineer and sometimes work on orchestral recordings. the last time (new years concert in vienna) the parts you plan to use were organised in that way:

---------percussion-----------brass

----low trumpet------------------high trumpet

------3rd strings---1st string---2nd strings

the 1st string is normally played by the chief of the orchestra and does all the solo parts. maybe you want to use a 1st string too for the main melody.

there are different setups for different styles of orchestral music, which are described in literature and should be used if you want to go the correct and historical way. in my opinion the only thing that counts is that it sounds good. so try out this setup and if you don't feel comfortable with it you should do some modifications to create your personal sound.

i suppose you're producing hip hop. that should mean to surprise the rest of the world with your ideas instead of meeting criteria. so go your way, because you now for yourself what's right and what is not.

good luck,
florian[/color]