Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By bedouin Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 pm
The s20 probably survived, but I wouldn't do it again. I have a Boss DR-202 and one day I was using it but it was acting strange. By pure chance I noticed I had my Vestax Handy Trax adapter plugged into the DR-202, which puts out maybe three or four more volts than the DR-202's adapter.

That could be why it wasn't working correctly. I would just go get the right adapter. The pawn shop I was at the other day had a bunch of SNESs around. I doubt they wanted much money for them.
By ralphyartis' Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:22 pm
I did turn it on a few times, it seems like everything is working right. BUt you don't think this is a good idea even if it seems to work could it still be doin harm?

i went to a store here that sells those adapters, they have new ones, it had two plugs, one for the super nintendo and one for the original nintendo, looks like its the nintendo adapter that i need, all the specifications are about the same except its supposed to have a positive center and it had a negative one, so i didn't buy it.
By bedouin Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 pm
If you get the Radio Shack one the tip is detachable; I could see in the picture. You'd just need to get the right tip and you're in business.
By bedouin Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 pm
No, what I was saying was --

One of those SNES adapters I linked you to was manufactured by Radio Shack. I noticed the tip on that adapter was detachable. That's something to look into. Also, you might want to put an ad on Craigslist looking for a 10V adapter; someone might have one around.
By recall79 Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm
Hello,

I know this is an old thread but did anyone manage to find a replacement (ie non akai) psu for the s20?

I lent my s20 to a friend a couple of years back and he lost the psu when moving house, i've been looking off and on since then for a replacement.

Reading this thread I saw the SNES psu mentioned. Does this work for real?

I found this on UK ebay (I am in the UK):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Nintend ... _932wt_907

Would this be good for the S20?

Cheers,

Iwan
By mr_debauch Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm
recall79 wrote:Hello,

I know this is an old thread but did anyone manage to find a replacement (ie non akai) psu for the s20?

I lent my s20 to a friend a couple of years back and he lost the psu when moving house, i've been looking off and on since then for a replacement.

Reading this thread I saw the SNES psu mentioned. Does this work for real?

I found this on UK ebay (I am in the UK):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Nintend ... _932wt_907

Would this be good for the S20?

Cheers,

Iwan

if i'm not mistaken, PAL SNES machines take a 10 volt AC adapter... not a DC adapter.. it's similar to the NTSC (and probably PAL) NES machines, they take AC adapters and not DC adapters which are what most gear takes... so just be careful of the one you use.

check the s20 and pay attention to the exact specs needed.
By nogginj Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:33 am
tha akai s20 needs power at DC 10v at 850mA, positive tip.

as long as you've got a power supply or adapter that can spit out that (or more), it should work.

hit up the thrift stores - goodwill is my only source for power adapters since i figured it out and it's usually only a buck or two for an adapter that works. they usually have a big bin of loose adapters, but sometimes you got to buy a answering machine or something cheap just for the adapter (i try not to do that, but guess what i got an unused diaper warmer now).

i've had luck using adapters rated at slightly MORE voltage or amperage, but you shouldn't use an adapter that's too low...you could fry something. try to get as close to or above the actual, required specs. for a DC adapter the tip must be the correct polarity. if it spits out AC (less common, in my experience), there is no polarity.

DC might have a symbol that looks like this -
and will definitely have one that looks like either -
positive tip

negative tip

s20 <3
the ad/da conversion at 32kHz really has a nice, classic sampler crunch so many look for. being able to access almost every button via midi is insanely useful, and having a default sine tone load up power-on....why doesn't every sampler do this?
By mr_debauch Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:23 am
nogginj wrote:t having a default sine tone load up power-on....why doesn't every sampler do this?

a lot of the older akai samplers do it, such as the s900/s950, the x7000.. etc
By newbster s20 Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread yet again. But I just registered to offer some advice from my own experience. I feel I owe it to you guys since you helped sway my decision in getting my S20 on the cheap due to missing PSU.

Anyway, I've found that a standard USA Sega Game Gear adapter works just fine (Model 2103-1). It's rated at 10V DC, 850mA and is center positive. Also, the tip is a perfect fit.

Ok, back to getting acquainted with my new toy :D
By Headphones Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 am
Don’t do what I did. If you go to eBay & type in Akai S20, then you will see a $31.20 power supply they claim will juice up your S20/Remix 16, and it’s 6.5 feet. It arrived yesterday, but when I tried to plug it in, the plug did not fit. I want my $31 bucks back, so now I gotta return this crap.

Not only that, but my search continues. :WTF: . I still have to find the right power supply. :hmmm:
By mr_debauch Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:47 pm
Headphones wrote:Don’t do what I did. If you go to eBay & type in Akai S20, then you will see a $31.20 power supply they claim will juice up your S20/Remix 16, and it’s 6.5 feet. It arrived yesterday, but when I tried to plug it in, the plug did not fit. I want my $31 bucks back, so now I gotta return this crap.

Not only that, but my search continues. :WTF: . I still have to find the right power supply. :hmmm:

not only that, but the remix 16 does not use an adapter... it has the power supply built in internally and it has a power cord built into the machine.
By Headphones Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 am
I’ve never owned the Remix 16, so I never knew that. I did finally score the right power supply though. Akai S20 just needs a Sega GameGear power supply. It cost me $15, and worked like a charm. :)
By sine~wave Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 am
The Akai S20 may not be 12 bit, but it has a very unique sound when you pitch a sample down. It produces great sounding artifacts that I have not been able to recreate in any other sampler, including the Akai S01, which many people said was a rack mount version of the Akai S20. The Remix16 and Remix88's might be able to do the trick, but I can't say 100%. Depends on if they are internally almost identical.

The Akai S20 is the poor man's SP1200. I plan on grabbing one again to go with my MPC Live.