Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By wizardsmoke Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 am
Anyone have an opinion on the s20, in terms of lo-fi sampling.. would it be anything close to a s950? Also wondering if either of these(s20, s950) would translate their sound very well into the mpc2500? Just would like to play around with that type of sound..
By Muied Lumens Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 am
The S20 is strictly 16 bit, the 950 is 12 so a big difference there. While the S20 sounds good in its own right, it is a budget sampler so it's bound to have cheaper converters etc.

The big 'lo-fi' appeal to the S20 is that it can convert your samples down to a 4k sampling rate! :shock:
By wizardsmoke Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm
Thanks, I'm looking to get something like that instead of an mpc 60 or sp1200.. too much $$ for those! maybe even a good software(if there is such a thing) I heard of something called 'bit cruncher'??
By ralphyartis' Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:50 am
i used to have one of these and i remember it sounding real good, it was my first sampler though so maybe it was just that, I actually just bought one again of ebay, i got a bunch of old floppy disks for it, im waiten on it to come in the mail this week, so i let you know how it sounds but for under 100 dollars its already worth it to me. And yea i remember that resampling feature it was pretty dope.
By bedouin Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 am
Look for a Casio RZ-1. I love mine (I own two -- one as a spare). Finding one that's not thrashed is hard though since they were cheaply made. Personally I think the SP-12 and MPC-60 sound too good and not dirty enough, yet the RZ-1 walks the fine line between clearly bitcrushed and aggressive and clean. This is a beat I did in Reason, while the drums were programmed on the RZ-1:

http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/.Publ ... -dream.mp3

At one time Casio did have a professional line, and the RZ-1 was one of the products.
By wizardsmoke Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 am
Ralph which are you talking, the s20? and definitely letme know how you like it!

Is that RZ-1 8 bit or something??
By bedouin Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 am
wizardsmoke wrote:Ralph which are you talking, the s20? and definitely letme know how you like it!

Is that RZ-1 8 bit or something??

Yep, it's 8-bit. It could be something weird like 10 or 12 though, but I doubt it given the year it was made and how inexpensive it was.
By wizardsmoke Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:25 pm
Thanks for the info guys, I will be going to E-bay or craigslist and see which one of these I can get my hands on for cheap hopefully!
By Nothingless1987 Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:42 pm
im hopefully gettin one of these, will know by sunday. its a bargain.
By wizardsmoke Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Been looking on ebay and craigslist and still cant find a good deal on any of these :angry: