Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By whoohaaah Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:03 am
Hey all, here's a beat I made.
First time in years

I've been a hobby producer, but recently been getting more into it. Been on YouTube and on forums trying to get knowledge down on music production. Still have a long way to go, and I'd welcome any constructive criticism/feedback.

Thanks fam.

Btw I'm going for hip-hop and boom bap, and some lo-fi sound; as well as a little bit of house thrown in.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:14 pm
I fixed your links.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:33 pm
whoohaaah wrote:Hey all, here's a beat I made.
First time in years

Kik and snare sound clean and crisp. Hihat sounds more lo fi but works.
Bassline needs some creativity.
Vocal samples are nice and clean, could use some creative patterning.

By Lampdog Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 pm
whoohaaah wrote:Here's another:

Constructive criticism welcome.

First thing to hit me was the bassline, it caused ear fatigue immediately.
It was such that I stopped listening even though I tried to objectively listen to the rest.
Maybe bring in that heavy of a bassline sparringly and not constantly.
By Cockdiesel Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 am

I liked this one better than the first. I’ll agree about the first one and the bass, I fall victim to it too, that’s it’s just a bit much.

Sucks when I vibe out to shit I always turn the bass up way to loud, then turning compressors or limiters on and messing the whole track up.

I think you have a great sound, just maybe work on the mixing and changing things up some with patterns and samples.

On both the tracks the drums sounded good, nice programming too. I dig the style.
By whoohaaah Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:

I liked this one better than the first. I’ll agree about the first one and the bass, I fall victim to it too, that’s it’s just a bit much.

Sucks when I vibe out to **** I always turn the bass up way to loud, then turning compressors or limiters on and messing the whole track up.

I think you have a great sound, just maybe work on the mixing and changing things up some with patterns and samples.

On both the tracks the drums sounded good, nice programming too. I dig the style.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.
Now that i've listened more to the 2nd beat, I can see how the bass can give fatigue. Thanks for pointing this out.

Pattern-wise, I just get concerned that I may end up doing too much. So i tend to keep it simple.
I'll have to overcome that fear and just keep playing around.

Mixing is what i'm having a hard time figuring out still.
I usually bring down volume of ALL pads/tracks to INF, then slowly bring them up one by one, and mixing to see how they complement each other.
By CHOPFYT Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 pm
2nd beat sounds alright to me dude, I like the bass and the drums and the sample is good if a bit repetitive after a while. I dont know much about mixing but Id work in reverse from what you said have it all high and lower them one at a time but really just keep practicing.
By Sodamnfresh Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 pm
I agree with the above... More variations... maybe play with key changes? It just needs something else....

Drum sounds/prog is good... Maybe playing with tht will add variety. Now dont get me wrong, if the loop is funky enough then you can get away with just looping it, but is rare... Peace bro