Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

By Prah_860_ Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:02 pm
:P

By DjChronoBeats Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:24 pm
this was dope

that snare broke my ear drums though.
By jerrymcguire Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:35 pm
thanks if nobody liked it im gonna kepp makin em till some one does :)
By Prah_860_ Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:42 pm
jerrymcguire wrote:thanks if nobody liked it im gonna kepp makin em till some one does :)

dat a girl

By S.K Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:53 pm
simplistic, repetitve is the words that come to mind when listening to this beat.. keep going tho ma

By phazer_effect Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:18 am
this has alot of potential...tight :o

By stryke Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:07 am
I like this.That snare is a little rough but oh well,phuk it.This one will definitely shine with the right emcee.Good work mama.

By cyrus Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:08 pm
i would say add a differant bass sound in there....it sounded like you had a kick, and a 2 note bass line (correct me if im wrong) but maybe layer those strings with a bass tone, or get rid of the current bass line sound.

when i hear that beat, im waiting for an 808 kick, so maybe try that.

Maybe it might be the mix, and the way it translates on my speakers....but usually my speakers bump the bass if its there-and it didnt.

other than that, i like it....it is repetative, but think that it works with the beat, its that kind of beat where it can be repetative.

but i think it is just missing some thump bottom end.
By jerrymcguire Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:37 pm
i thought the same thing too. i used something the triton had in it . my mixing skills are wack i have to get the beats right first then ill learn mixing i cant mix at all. thanks for the feed back it needed thanks guys :)

By djames Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:44 pm
Try this and it will help your mixes out immensely. While you have your beat playing open up a CD of one of your favorite artist in your computer/CD player and go back and forth pausing between your track and theirs making the necessary adjustments to yours until your mix is close. IMO this is the easiest way to find a good mix, granted your favorite artist's ish is mixed properly ;)

By cyrus Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:07 am
^^ boy, thats a good idea...i always forget about that one. When i first bought my "studio monitors" meant for mixing, etc. i played dr.dre chronic. I was freaking amazed at the mix, you could just hear everything, and it was awesome......put me in a differant perspective. I also listened to some jimi hendrix, and led zepplin. Shit sounds great when you can actually hear the good mix-as opposed to radio in the car.

I always find that the hardest thing to mix is the bass.

its what always muddies shit up, and non "break" samples, where there is multiple intruments in the sample.

if you have a mixer.....try to run each sound to its own track, to its own channel on the mixer (sometimes its not possible with small mixers) but even with a small mixer try it......then use the basic eq on the mixer to cut bottom, mid, or high.....this is the best way to practice.....i find it easier than tracking to software, and applying eq, because on a real mixer, you can do it in "realtime" much faster....so you can immediately see what needs some eq.

but anyways, if anything, just mess with the bass and kick eq as thats most likely the problem. the best way to test bass is to try it out on multiple speakers.

what i do also sometimes is mix in groups......like you know the kick and the bass hold similar frequencies....as does the hihat and some higher instruments like a bleep or blip or something....strings sit mroe in the middle. Pick the instruments that sit in the same space and mix them first........youll have to pick a main instrument as a referance point though....so like the snare. adjust it to a decent level, then mix everything around it. then pick the kick and bass, since they share same freq, mix them as a group. Then move on to other groups. Then look at the groups as a "whole" and mix a group with another group...then eventually go individually, but not straying too much from what you know the kick and bass need to be in relation to each other.

oh, and i find that bass is harder to mix after youve been listening to the same track for long periods of time, because the other sounds fatigue your ears, and you can hear the low "audible" parts of the bass, so you tend to turn it up. Or if youve got shit speakers you turn it down. So set the track aside, and mix the bass another day, try to have it so you can just load it up quick, and not listen at all, then go in and mix.

btw. im no expert, but experimentation is the best way to learn, eventually you will realize what you gotta do.