Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

By Smoove03 Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:35 pm
fobedafied wrote:damn man,

wheres all the "yes men" when yuo need 'em?

lol, he asked for em :)

but since i have nothing nice to say, i wont say nuttin at all :roll:
By equi-knocks Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:06 pm
I think the song definately needs more. Drums are pretty simple, but from a lyricist perspective...that works.
My .02...ur not be playing to your strengths. You shouldn't limit yo self to keyboard beats. Your timing seems to be on point. (That "Ohhh" is tight) So why not trigger some short samples when you hit those keys? Why even compete with the band camp set? So you can't play music... Man...that shit doesn't matter right now. You've got a Triton and MPC playa! You gotta appreciate music theory, but you gotta preciate hip hop too. Hip hop is wild, grimy, and don't have to make no music teacher happy. Sure, grabbing a music book and practicing "Twinkle twinkle little star" will eventually help and is needed, but you could color up them beats NOW! Leave that track like it is and throw in some ill sounding short loops over everything. Not no horns or violin shyt. Keep the real instruments in the back. Make it rude and offensive. It IS called Halloscream, right? Use that scream more, just fuk wit it so it actually sounds scary. When you start pissing off some of the people that are telling you it's it a banger already, then you got it.
Like I said, it's a good start, but it needs more.

By DSTRUCT Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:48 pm
your makin yourself look like a dicc sk

By jorge guzman Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:18 pm
all i can say is wow.. i wish i would get as much feedback as sk when i post a sumttin.. last one i only got like 2 responses :cry: lol..
but sk u gotta learn how to take criticism... ur stuff definetly got potential but its just a skeleton track and u need to spice it up... im pretty sure every1 here had some beats like that when they first started unless they had some music knowledge and knew how to play keys and ish of the back but u grow with experience so keep at it... do sumttin with ur sounds cause they sound way too casio and thin... im pretty sure everyone else who posted b4 said the same so learn how take criticism and use it..

By DjChronoBeats Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:22 pm

are you signed and making money?

nah, but if your signed, every member of this site should be.

I'm just tryin to help ya out playa, but if ya wanna turn this into beef... then u can get shown up by an amature who's only been making beats since febuary.

By DjChronoBeats Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:57 pm

so the song is boring because it don't have effects, eq or compression, you hear the melody right, ?

it was awful over all, even with pro mixing it would still sound gay.

By Smoove03 Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:04 pm
DjChronoBeats wrote:

are you signed and making money?

nah, but if your signed, every member of this site should be.

I'm just tryin to help ya out playa, but if ya wanna turn this into beef... then u can get shown up by an amature who's only been making beats since febuary.

:D im representin my folks from february!!!! i got my mpc in feb this year .

:twisted:

By cyrus Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:36 pm
the mutha fckin point is, you gotta put time into your beats........tweak your sounds, make them sound good. a **** melody isnt gonna do it...you gotta have more than a melody sometimes.

And scrap the triton drums....they suck....i would say you would make your beats 60% better if you just use sampled drums, or drums from www.mpc-samples.com or something.

triton drums suck......triton drums suck.......triton drums suck.

You gotta feel the beat....and that isnt just turning it up loud, or it isnt just a melody.....you gota feel the groove, you gotta have banging drums(drums that are punchy, drums that match, drums with character). Not loud drums, not triton drums.....

dont think that just cause you use a triton, your shit sounds hot!!!!

and above all things! think about our words......actually think about them. Everybody hear gave you good advice, and is willing to help you. But it goes in one ear and out the other (or so it seems) dont get mad.......dont think we are hating on you cause im not!

actually be perceptive about our advice.

peace

By JonLocsback Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:54 pm
binger0 wrote:the reborn mpcer. thats mad gay. ur the biggest hypocrite out here. anyways, this started humble with the reviews, till sk got offened by critisim. I started out with honest critisim and so did prizm and someone couldnt handle that. No one is lookin for a reason to "dis him" he provides more then enough. and it is wack when dude says that ur opinion isnt valued unless u got a deal and are rich.
'
You prove my point.

By cyrus Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:58 pm
I'm wishin' you the best
Pray that you are blessed
Bring much success, no stress, and lots of happiness
(I'm better than that)
I'm not gon blast you on the radio
(I'm better than that)
I'm not gon lie on you and your family
(I'm better than that)
I'm not gon hate on you in the magazines
('m better than that)
I'm not gon compromise my Christianity
(I'm better than that)
You know I'm not gon diss you on the Internet
Cause my mama taught me better than that

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?
) I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm gon work harder (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm gonna make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?)
I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I will survive (What?)

After of all of the darkness and sadness
Soon comes happiness
If I surround my self with positive things
I'll gain prosperity

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?)
I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I will survive (What?)

By Lampdog Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:12 am
cyrus wrote:triton drums suck......triton drums suck.......triton drums suck.

Maybe you don't know how to use them. Individually they suck, combined and tweaked out, they sound great. Good hiphop drums.. I use mostly samples but I haven't overlooked the default drums either..

By beyondhope1 Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:30 am
sk, Needs more punch m0re bass a new melody and I dont know if you did this on perp. but i didnt like it.... The snare man, it sometimes sounded off beat with the layer static snare. but keep on duing wat makes you happy man more power to yeah.

By cyrus Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:
cyrus wrote:triton drums suck......triton drums suck.......triton drums suck.

Maybe you don't know how to use them. Individually they suck, combined and tweaked out, they sound great. Good hiphop drums.. I use mostly samples but I haven't overlooked the default drums either..

yes i do. BUt SK didnt seem to be responding to "tweaking sounds". SO someone in his situation would be better-right off the bat, just sampling good ones to begin with.

if he just had better drums.....even if he used motif presets, his track would be 60% better.

You can tweak your shit if you know how to do it. Yeah, lots of cats use the triton drums, but he didnt even seem to care with designing his sounds. But i still think they suck, when you compare them to a mophatt, or motif, or sampled.

basically i dont advocate using preset sounds-especially drums, when you can just **** with them so much, or sample..... there is no need to use presets.......aside the fact of using shitty presets on top of that.

but maybe there is an underlying point.......dont try to make a major track, if you cant handle basics.....like tweaking drums. Just focus on making your drums bang. Once you master that (or get close) then go to adding bass, melody etc.

You need good drums. You need basss.

once you can walk...then you can learn to run.