Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

By DjChronoBeats Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:31 am
melody was too simple and stale, try adding some chords in there... and the drums were kinda wack too, they sound like the noise you get when you scrape burnt toast with a butter knife.

Try sampling for awhile until u get an ear for the music.

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:06 am
Damn :shock: , thanks for the listen..

By Frankly Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:40 am
Seriously, please go learn about music first. Don't disrespect the art! Put your time into it, dedicate yourself if you are serious! Producing/writing has become a get rich quick scheme for many, and it should not be. No ones asking you to go out and get lessons. Fact is, most people in the industry are self taught. But they didn't try to skip any steps, and they weren't into the BS, they taught themselves right.

All music is built around chords. Sometimes, as few as one! James Brown, among other funk pioneers, often only built there songs around ONE chord!!! But still had that foundation of a tangible chord basis. Build your riffs, basslines, backings, etc around these fundamental chords!

No ones asking you to get complex with ur ish. Some of the most marketable music is simple as ****. Just listen to the Neptunes. To the untrained ear it might sound like theyre just hitting random notes, but theyre not...all of their music is still based around a progression.

Please, do the world a favor and respect the art! Learn, practice, implement.

Take this shit conrstructively, I wouldn't have taken the time to post that if I wasn't tryin to help.

By binger0 Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:45 am
:D

By DjChronoBeats Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:51 am
hey binger0 peep my two sampled remixes I posted the threads

By DJ 2Much Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:55 am
Keep makin' beats dawg. The more u mess around with stuff you'll learn where things should come in at, what notes to put in, level vol., and shit like dat. I started tryin to make beats when I was 15, now I'm 18 and the quality of my beats grew wit me (just check my page out if u don't believe me). It takes time manye. This beat sounds alright but try gettin' ur volume or EQ straight.

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:04 am
Frankly wrote:Seriously, please go learn about music first. Don't disrespect the art! Put your time into it, dedicate yourself if you are serious! Producing/writing has become a get rich quick scheme for many, and it should not be. No ones asking you to go out and get lessons. Fact is, most people in the industry are self taught. But they didn't try to skip any steps, and they weren't into the BS, they taught themselves right.

All music is built around chords. Sometimes, as few as one! James Brown, among other funk pioneers, often only built there songs around ONE chord!!! But still had that foundation of a tangible chord basis. Build your riffs, basslines, backings, etc around these fundamental chords!

No ones asking you to get complex with ur ish. Some of the most marketable music is simple as ****. Just listen to the Neptunes. To the untrained ear it might sound like theyre just hitting random notes, but theyre not...all of their music is still based around a progression.

Take this **** conrstructively, I wouldn't have taken the time to post that if I wasn't tryin to help.

since you wanna lecture me, what's wrong with this beat?

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:05 am
DJ 2Much wrote:Keep makin' beats dawg. The more u mess around with stuff you'll learn where things should come in at, what notes to put in, level vol., and **** like dat. I started tryin to make beats when I was 15, now I'm 18 and the quality of my beats grew wit me (just check my page out if u don't believe me). It takes time manye. This beat sounds alright but try gettin' ur volume or EQ straight.

preciate the listen.. thanks

By DjChronoBeats Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:06 am
S.K wrote:
Frankly wrote:Seriously, please go learn about music first. Don't disrespect the art! Put your time into it, dedicate yourself if you are serious! Producing/writing has become a get rich quick scheme for many, and it should not be. No ones asking you to go out and get lessons. Fact is, most people in the industry are self taught. But they didn't try to skip any steps, and they weren't into the BS, they taught themselves right.

Take this **** conrstructively, I wouldn't have taken the time to post that if I wasn't tryin to help.

he told u everything wrong with it, take his advice cuz it's gonna do u good in the future.

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:09 am
S.K wrote:

Yo calm down man this is the way I make music pimpin, everybody has they're own way of expressing theirselves and this is my way.. but

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:10 am
DjChronoBeats wrote:
S.K wrote:

he told u everything wrong with it, take his advice cuz it's gonna do u good in the future.

are you signed and making money?

By Frankly Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:11 am
S.K wrote:

After reading all that you don't know? How much more clear do I have to write it? BUILD YOUR MUSIC AROUND CHORDS.

You also need to start incorporating some effects. The piano for example sounds extremely thin. You could EQ to fatten it up, maybe add compression to make it more punchy, but an overcompressed piano sounds bad. Definately add reverb. Chrono said it was stale, what you can do to fix that is add reverb/delay, that adds depth to music.

Simple drums can be good, but in this case it's just boring b/c the whole song is.

By Frankly Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:14 am
Yo SK if you gonna get all hurt by these comments then don't post your beats for critique. I was constructive in my posts, if I wanted to just talk ish I could, but I didn't. Like I said, I wouldn't post a reply or even listen to your beat in the first place if I didn't wanna help. We all tryin' to help you out mang.

By S.K Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:16 am
Frankly wrote:
S.K wrote:

After reading all that you don't know? How much more clear do I have to write it? BUILD YOUR MUSIC AROUND CHORDS.

You also need to start incorporating some effects. The piano for example sounds extremely thin. You could EQ to fatten it up, maybe add compression to make it more punchy, but an overcompressed piano sounds bad. Definately add reverb. Chrono said it was stale, what you can do to fix that is add reverb/delay, that adds depth to music.

Simple drums can be good, but in this case it's just boring b/c the whole song is.

so the song is boring because it don't have effects, eq or compression, you hear the melody right, ?