Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

Who came with the most heat?

9%
27%
64%
By Danoc Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:13 am
NearTao wrote:
Danoc, my daughter wants to know when your track will be on the radio, you totally get her vote. Unfortunately she doesn't have an account.

Keep up the good work guys!

Yo ummmm. Lets just say lm bout to work on that. This battle done turned into sumtin else. Thanks bro. :worthy:
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 am
The thing with these challenges, is stepping out of your comfort zone. Sometimes, you'll hit a home run and sometimes, you'll strike out. The key is staying honest to the challenge and to yourself, that way there could be a discussion about the process.
By Eyalc Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 am
Had a couple folks as me a couple questions. Answering them here. Paraphrasing the questions...

1. How did I get my music to sound clear on soundcloud?

LUFS - stands for Loudness Units relative to Full Scale. Each social media platform has their own LUFS limit. Mixing and mastering to -12 LUFS for example, will sound good on one social media platform, but not necessarily another. I don’t memorize LUFS for each platform. I just look it up. Lots of sites like this one -> https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/l ... nd-youtube

Half way down is a table. Most platforms are listed there.

2. How did you learn to play keys? I was fortunate to have a teacher that taught me to forget about music theory, and taught me the GRIP system. I could play LONG before I learned music theory (and I’m still learning music theory - and I’m NO keyboard expert - wouldn’t dare get on anyone’s stage claiming chops like that). Look up GRIPs. You’re welcome. LOL Does that mean music theory isn’t important? No, it is, but it’s nowhere near necessary to learn deep music theory to play well.
By Eyalc Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:Yo l have 2 votes Tao's daughter voted for me lol

But what happened to the Motown inspired track? That's not even BOYZ II MEN "MOTOWN PHILLY" inspired. :lol:

HAHAHA - man Danoc, I do have to agree with CR. Motown Philly back again... oh, wait. No.
By Danoc Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:15 am
Oh E that's the trick LUFS l know all about that. I master with a K14 system. And l have the mastering trimmings. Thanks.

Playing keys lm no Herby Hancock but l know enough and still learning. I can hear something in my head and play it. I can make any chord. I want and need. Its fun too.
By Eyalc Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am
Danoc wrote:Oh E that's the trick LUFS l know all about that. I master with a K14 system. And l have the mastering trimmings. Thanks.

Playing keys lm no Herby Hancock but l know enough and still learning. I can hear something in my head and play it. I can make any chord. I want and need. Its fun too.

Haha - man I wish I could play something I hear in my head. I have to noodle around for a bit. Even reference some charts on chord progression. I’m a way better producer than musician. Not saying I’m a “good” producer - just saying... I’m better at producing than playing.

Bob Katz’s K system is cool. You use Studio One for mastering? Which K plugs do you use for metering? I need to get a better K meter.
By Danoc Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Bro l kid you not l have so much music in my head hat when lm doing a track 3 pop up in my head while doing the one track. It was insane l had to stop that. I had tons of unfinished tracks on my desktop, it was out of control. When l mean l had to stop that means l had literally DELETE ALL TRACKS! It was making me insane! Be careful what you ask for...

I had to learn to control it. I can cut it off and on when l want. That's a blessing. Now l see how some of the world's musicians went crazy or painter artist. Being overwhelmingly influxed with what you love can drive you insane. I've tried to quit music 3 times. It kept calling me like Pookie on crack :lol:

Put it this way l can't live without making music, take that away and lm be really pissed off and lm get on my Neo Matrix shizzle lol

Below is a video of me writing a piece l made from scratch. Its funny how l learned to play on my own. When you love something you find a way.

I gotta show you my K14 system. There's 2 more K systems. I use to use PkRMS, but K14 is the standard.

By NearTao Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:06 am
Danoc... I can relate! I’ve got almost 2000 tracks in Ableton Live that are started but never finished. I have not had the heart to go delete them... but you are right. In a lot of ways it is a mental burden, especially if you’re never going to complete that stuff. It just becomes so time consuming to keep those tracks around, try and remember which folder it is in, oh wait, the rev2 is completely different that the rev4 track... WTF was I thinking? :)
By Danoc Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 pm
Eyalc wrote:

Haha - man I wish I could play something I hear in my head. I have to noodle around for a bit. Even reference some charts on chord progression. I’m a way better producer than musician. Not saying I’m a “good” producer - just saying... I’m better at producing than playing.

Bob Katz’s K system is cool. You use Studio One for mastering? Which K plugs do you use for metering? I need to get a better K meter.

I gave you the wrong vid. Im playing keys here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pA898rxGg&t=20s
By Danoc Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm
LOL :lol:
OMG Tao don't be sleepy and do a track and put it in a folder :shock: l don't wanna tell you what a total disaster that is. You know we producers think we can fight sleep lol

NearTao wrote:Danoc... I can relate! I’ve got almost 2000 tracks in Ableton Live that are started but never finished. I have not had the heart to go delete them... but you are right. In a lot of ways it is a mental burden, especially if you’re never going to complete that stuff. It just becomes so time consuming to keep those tracks around, try and remember which folder it is in, oh wait, the rev2 is completely different that the rev4 track... WTF was I thinking? :)