Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

Interpolation challenge - Bob Marley’s Jammin’

9%
36%
27%
18%
9%
By Eyalc Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 pm
My opinion... there is a sub-forum for battling with samples. I say leave that there. Let’s focus on producing without samples here. And tbh, imo, it will align with our initial goal of improving - not saying you can’t improve by sampling... but just saying.

What I’d rather see, choose a bob marley record, and recreate it. Maybe the round needs to be “who can create the best interpolation of a bob marley song?” That way, we all have a chance to study the same song, and try to learn how it was created. If you just sample it, you’re not really adding to your production knowledge arsenal (IMO). But if you interpolate it - really listen and pick it apart - just think how much knowledge you’d gain as a producer... The cool thing about making interpolations, is that you can use whatever instruments you like.

So, IMO, these competitions should be a NSZ (no sampling zone). If you want to make beats with samples, hit up the other sub-forum. But I’m good with what everyone else decides.

If it’s up to me (Since I won lol), here are the rules for the next battle:

* compete to see who can create the best interpolation of the Bob Marley song Jammin’
* interpolation definition - In popular music, interpolation (also called a replayed sample) refers to using a melody — or portions of a melody (often with modified lyrics) — from a previously recorded song but re-recording the melody instead of sampling it.
* no sampling of the original record
* you MUST add at least TWO new elements to the song’s instrumentation - and you have to explain what it is when you submit. Tell everyone what you added, why, and what you believe your additions do to the song
* you can change the instruments (for example, use a Rhodes instead of the piano, or a guitar instead of the piano - but it MUST follow the chord structure, melody and progressions of the original)
* you can add other instruments to it as well. remember, this is an INTERPOLATION. Interpret the song however you wish... feel a guitar solo, add a guitar solo, feel a bridge in the song, add a bridge.
* as a listener, we MUST be able to tell that it’s an interpolation of the song Jammin’.
* add vocals if you wish, but NOT sampled from the original record, and NOT Bob Marley’s voice (for all you acapella digging folks)
* you can change the genre root (make it dub, make it R&B ballad, make it house) - but again, it must be clear that it’s an interpolation of the song. So you can’t obviously stray too far.

Y’all want to get creative? Want to push yourself as a producer? Want to learn how to recreate vibes? Want to learn how to interpret a song and re-express it with a different vibe?

Y’all got less than 3 weeks to get y’all s—- together.

Who’s in? Respond to the thread. And man, if I see ANY of y’all back out, I’m gonna be disappointed. The challenge has been levied. Who’s accepting???

Submission deadline: July 31st, Friday, Noon EST / 9am PST.

Music links will be posted as soon as submission deadline hits.

Voting timeframe: July 31st, Friday, Noon EST - Aug 2nd, Sunday 5pm EST.

Voting: 1 vote per person, vote change not allowed.

Time limit on track: 4:00

Judged based on who created the best interpolation - if we can’t clearly tell it’s an interpolation of Jammin, instant DQ

NearTao

Eyalc

Danoc

CharlesRandolph

Cockdiesel
By Danoc Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:44 pm
:worthy: NSZ Yes sir. Didn't You say "WE'RE JAMMIN" BY Bob Marley? Are we going to do that? Let me know. I have it already and studied that, and have all the instruments and so much more.

I AM DOWN! IT'S GO TIME!!!!

CONGRATS ON THE WIN!!!!!! :smoker: :mrgreen:
By Cockdiesel Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:02 pm
I’m down. To be honest my music theory and writing skills are rudimentary at best. I’m sure I can learn to play the chords and bass line but I’m not sure beyond writing variants on them I can really do it much justice. You do give me some room to with no genre idea, so it might not be as tough as I think.
Either way I’m going to embarrass myself, but atleast it’ll be fun.

Thanks for taking the lead and developing this in a proper way. I’ll have my keygroups up tonight after I finish my paperwork or tomorrow.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:17 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Damn... this song is super simple but it’s be a challenge to reinvent it..... a lot of syncopation and Marley is basically the whole song...

Simple doesn't mean easy, it takes great skill to restraint music. It's easy to just keep stacking and stacking sound on top of each other. :nod: Rhythm and Blues + Mento + Jazz are the foundations. You have to be able to swing.