Who got you backspinning on cardboard?

60%
N/A
40%
N/A
N/A
N/A
By Eyalc Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 am
Ok folks. Next challenge. I’m hoping we get even more folks than last time!

Genre: Electric / Electro Funk
Artists from that genre and era: Soul Sonic Force, Planet Patrol, Jonzun Crew, Newcleus, Egyptian Lover, Man Parrish, Kraftwerk, Mantronix, Twilight 22, MC Globe, Hashim, Cybotron

Submission deadline: August 14th, Friday, Noon EST / 9am PST.

Music links will be posted as soon as submission deadline hits.

Voting timeframe: August 14th, Friday, Noon EST - August 16th, Sunday 5pm EST.

Voting: 1 vote per person, vote change not allowed.

Time limit on track: 4:00

Can have lyrics or not.

No genre changes. Must fit clearly in that era. 808 is expected, but not trap style.

No sampling.

Judged based on who created the best track overall.

Lampdog has volunteered to coordinate links and setting up the poll again (appreciate you man).

Let’s GO!!!!

Bees80
:arrow: https://we.tl/t-xUErpovbol

Eyalc

Danoc

NearTao

Charles Randolph

Cockdiesel
Last edited by Eyalc on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:10 am
Do you put Disco into this category, or are you looking squarely at Electro Funk? I know it's a similar era and the sounds overlap a bit, but just curious how pure Electro Funk you're looking for.
By Eyalc Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:37 am
That’s a good question. I don’t equate disco and electric funk too closely, but I’m not a genre expert either. But I think you’re thinking more Electro Funk (Shannon for example), as opposed to Electric Funk. Which are different.

I’d say no disco (Donna Summer is what I think of). The examples I gave are closer to what I’m thinking. So, more pure Electric Funk.

Hope that answered your question man.

EDIT - clarified based on my new understanding of how people refer to Electric and electro funk. Same artists, just a different way to refer to it. So, still no disco, but the example artists I gave are the genre I’m referring to. Whether you called it Electro or Electric Funk - that’s the genre. Hope that clarifies!
Last edited by Eyalc on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 am
E, tisk tisk tisk. You sly devil ----> :evil: You! You want Electric Funk so you can use that dam Ovox AGAIN (don't l didnt notice it on your voice in your Jammin track) you ain't that slick my dude :lol:

Ok it's time to bust out my Arp2600, ALL MY ROLAND retro keyboards and Omnisphere 2.6 in thus one! Its Go time! :smoker:
Last edited by Danoc on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 am
Eyalc wrote:Hahaha - Nah - I wasn’t even gonna use it this time. I have another idea. LOL

Oooooh oohh oohhh I got an idea too lol

Keywords "I WASN'T EVeN GONNA USE IT THIS TIME" meaning you used it in that last battle lol
By Danoc Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 am
CharlesRandolph wrote::popcorn: :popcorn:

And CharlesRandolph you eating all that dam popcorn and being silent. This is right up your alley. You aint slick either. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:42 am
this one is going to be real tricky for me. I have almost no familiarity with this genre. I'll have to do some digging. I've heard of soul sonic and Egyptian lover but like surface level. I am down, I already know e is gonna hit this out of the park. Is "computer love' eletro funk?
By Eyalc Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 am
Danoc wrote:
Eyalc wrote:Hahaha - Nah - I wasn’t even gonna use it this time. I have another idea. LOL

Oooooh oohh oohhh I got an idea too lol

Keywords "I WASN'T EVeN GONNA USE IT THIS TIME" meaning you used it in that last battle lol

Haha - man I thought I said it was Ovox... yeah man, it was. Cool tool, but meh - too difficult to get a usable sound out of it IMO. I had to fight with it just to get the sound I did.
By Eyalc Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 am
Okay, so I’m learning that some call it Electro Funk, and some call it Electric Funk.

Now that I understand better - same thing I believe.

For NT - still not disco.

The examples I gave will give you a good understanding of what I’m referring to.

Hope that clarifies.
By Eyalc Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:01 am
Cockdiesel wrote:this one is going to be real tricky for me. I have almost no familiarity with this genre. I'll have to do some digging. I've heard of soul sonic and Egyptian lover but like surface level. I am down, I already know e is gonna hit this out of the park. Is "computer love' eletro funk?

Haha - man, it was either this, or soft-rock like Hootie and the Blowfish. LOL.

And man, I don’t know - we shall see. I actually tried to choose something that I’d have to work hard at. I’ve never made a song in this genre. But I figure, I have 808 samples - I can at least make a fly beat. LOL

Computer Love by Egyptian Lover? Yeah I would say it is - pretty much anything EL made is.