Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:56 pm
Round 2: Here's a morning Impromptu in C Jazz Minor. It was 8 minutes long but I cut it down. :lol: Kept the Drums, Piano, and Bass in a Vamp and free played the Horn. To give it the JAZZ feel, I would normally free play all and instruments, come together on chorus, solo, etc etc.

NearTao wrote:@CharlesRandolph - See... I new if somebody spent some time with the samples they could coax some good sounds out of them. Curious which delay you used... it doesn't sound like you played out notes as a midi pseudo echo... but it's right on the edge for me. Dig some of the sounds you crafted though... pretty cool... I award you a can of coconut water

Will drink it now. :nod: Didn't spend much time on the sounds. Just a little compression, filter, and 4 band eq. To keep it open, I didn't do anything until after you posted. I was going to start today. :nod: These sound can get really dirty or make them extra clean. I enjoy the diversity!

This is the settings of the Delay Tape Sync I used on the MPC ONE: http://www.charlesrandolph.com/delay.zip

Menco wrote:70 minutes later:

MPC 2500. Resampled kick and snare through it's EQ and compressor. Used the JJOS bit crush. Looped the bass, piano and trumpet. Used the filters and some master compression.

Nice. Did you bit crush the entire track or just particular instruments?
By Menco Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm
Bitcrush only on trumpet and piano.

That second flip is nice btw. Nice take on the horn.
By Lampdog Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:24 pm
I didn’t use xy effect at all.

These provided samples are sonically dirty. It's better to give me the best quality so I can degrade it as much as I want. Zoom in on the kick, it's fuzzy as all flowers. Bass leaves harmonics and anti aliasing behind when filter sweeping up/down. Bass is not chopped neatly in front and so it has a pop/click that needs to immediately be addressed. It's not supposed to be like that right out the box. I'm the one who is artistically
supposed to flowers things up :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:23 pm
Lampdog wrote:I didn’t use xy effect at all.

These provided samples are sonically dirty. It's better to give me the best quality so I can degrade it as much as I want. Zoom in on the kick, it's fuzzy as all flowers. Bass leaves harmonics and anti aliasing behind when filter sweeping up/down. Bass is not chopped neatly in front and so it has a pop/click that needs to immediately be addressed. It's not supposed to be like that right out the box. I'm the one who is artistically
supposed to flowers things up :lol:

I know its some kind of skip effect, that lots of EDM producers use for sure. I enjoyed your take. :nod:

Nevertheless, the sounds were chosen at random from different folders. Nothing was edited or reviewed prior. But even in those condition it's up to the person to turn them into something. We make music with for our ears, not our eyes. Not everything is going to be perfect or ideal. We just have to learn how to deal with it.

Hey some guitarist like dead strings, dirty frets, distorted pickup, and bad cables. Yet, they still lay down monster solos! :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:30 pm
Menco wrote:Bitcrush only on trumpet and piano.

That second flip is nice btw. Nice take on the horn.

To get that use the
Delay Ping Pong
High Pass Filter 2 with the cutoff at 68
Amp Envelope: 31 - 6 - 127 - 75
Under LFO Modulation: Destination: Pan 127

If you don't have the new MPC you can do with the software and try to replicated it on other MPCS. If you EQ the sound and play with the Delay Ping Pong effect, you can make the delay less robotic. :nod:

What settings did you use on the bit crusher?
By Lampdog Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:15 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Nevertheless, the sounds were chosen at random from different folders.

Nah man, I understand. It’s a minute hinderance on my part, but, I get it. I was planning another submission but I’mma leave that one hanging at the bus stop with no fare. Yall continue to bang on!
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:21 pm
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Nevertheless, the sounds were chosen at random from different folders.

Nah man, I understand. It’s a minute hinderance on my part, but, I get it. I was planning another submission but I’mma leave that one hanging at the bus stop with no fare. Yall continue to bang on!

Yes sir!! Throw up another one, I can't wait to hear it! I was suppose to make Chip Tune next but I keep forgetting. :nod:

Here's Round 3 for me it's, Beats for Lunch in E Lydian. It has a nice bounce to it, you can break, rhyme, play guitar, or scratch to it.
By Lampdog Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 pm
I only used the pic cause I'm from Cali along with this 264kb challenge name.
No clue where the real 264 is at. I'm in San Diego.
By mr_debauch Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 pm
i started working on one... hopefully i can get that out sooner rather than later
By Elpimpo Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 pm

I created two kicks, two hats, and two snares.
Two of the samples were in the same key and one needed to be pitched up.
Played a little melody, then resampled it chopped it up.

I've been suffering from beat-block lately as im busy at work and school, Fair warning, this is complete trash, but it woke me up.

I like these online "battles" as practice.

BTW, that bass sample SLAPS! definitely going in the "my sound library" folder
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:27 pm
Elpimpo wrote:I created two kicks, two hats, and two snares.
Two of the samples were in the same key and one needed to be pitched up.
Played a little melody, then resampled it chopped it up.

I've been suffering from beat-block lately as im busy at work and school, Fair warning, this is complete trash, but it woke me up.

I like these online "battles" as practice.

If it's trash, delete it and start over. No self deprecating allowed. :lol: Nevertheless, glad you Stepped Up! These sounds can go all kinds of ways, so try stuff. Anyone who critiques and don't post any music, opinions do not matter. :nod:

What did you do to create the second hat. What are the reverb settings you used to get that sound?

My Round 4: "Robots building the Pyramids."