Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:18 pm
NearTao wrote:I get that, have had some work get stolen and somebody make some money off of it... and it does suck... especially when it is more time, money, and effort to get a nominal compensation for it when you factor in everything you'd have to do to get anything back in the first place. Have had to make the call a few times to just decide not to put good money after bad... and learn from the experience. Which, frankly... can be worth more than the money in the first place.

That said... I don't put food on the table from music... so it's easier for me to put it out there and not necessarily care what happens beyond the realm of my tiny space :D

Going to wrap up #jamuary2021 day 31 tomorrow... and then I have at least two more track ideas that I think should be enlightening for folks who want to try to follow relating to this challenge.

Yes, that does happen and it's happened to me as well and it wasn't single note chops. :lol: It was the entire 12 bar melody. I really don't care when people chop it up, rearrange it, layer it and make something new. I find it beautiful and encouraging because I'll chop up what they did and the cycle continues.

Listen to all the music being posted here with the same sounds on different MPC's. They all have a different sonic signature, melody, rhythm, etc. That's how we know it's not the sound or machine, but how a person uses them. This is why were stuck in this copyright/IP mess. Everyone wants to own everything.

Off topic:
Can't harvest seeds to grow plants because some company owns the patent on that seed. :lol:
Okay back to the music! Lets Go!
By Lampdog Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:47 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:That's it! Thank you! :nod: You know this will work great, when playing runs on the keyboard with one hand or using during finger drumming.

You can also assign XYFX like regular fx into slots. I forgot what category it’s in but it’s at the very bottom of the list and you might miss it if not looking closely.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:33 am
Lampdog wrote:You can also assign XYFX like regular fx into slots. I forgot what category it’s in but it’s at the very bottom of the list and you might miss it if not looking closely.

I tired it on in this experiment! It's called do the opposite. Which means whatever I did first, I did the opposite. Everything from the mix to the programing. I have no idea what is going on here, so I left that way. :lol: Came up with some interesting results and techniques that can be refined and used in other music.

By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:15 am
Okay here are all my rounds for the MPC ONLY step up challenge. Theses are fun exercises to see what can be created from simple sounds. Shout to those who share their challenges and tips.

By mr_debauch Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Sorry it took a minute to get this done.. it was done in the mpc live standalone mode. One of my monitors blew a transformer after all these years so it was produced and mixed with a set of sony headphones :cry:
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm
mr_debauch wrote:

Sorry it took a minute to get this done.. it was done in the mpc live standalone mode. One of my monitors blew a transformer after all these years so it was produced and mixed with a set of sony headphones :cry:

The pseudo crash sounds and the filtering used to smooth of the bass is a nice touch. It sounds like you used the hat with reverb or delay on a separate pad to give that open closed hat sound or did you just reverse it? Not sure, but it sounds good.

Did you use the snare to design that crash like sound?
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm
the crash and thing that sounds reversed is all the hat... i had to time stretch it to the max it allows, then bounce it and time stretch it again. the only thing i used the snare for other than the snare is to cut a piece to use as a place holder for muting the bass on command. all the extra bits like clicks and that are from the hat, in the bridge section there is a sort of short whitly note that pops in, that was from the kick i think.. i would have to double check.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm
mr_debauch wrote:the crash and thing that sounds reversed is all the hat... i had to time stretch it to the max it allows, then bounce it and time stretch it again. the only thing i used the snare for other than the snare is to cut a piece to use as a place holder for muting the bass on command. all the extra bits like clicks and that are from the hat, in the bridge section there is a sort of short whitly note that pops in, that was from the kick i think.. i would have to double check.

That's a very good technique, I've done that before and put a Wah Wah effect on it, resampled it and used it in a key-group with AIR distortion effect on it, it really does would yields some cool results.
By NearTao Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am
Went for a bit more of an out there experimental track. Lot's of pitch shifting... reverb, and delay... plus other effects smattered in for good measure. I was initially going for more of an ambient bent, but was getting some really fun rhythms with some of the delays and just went for it.

For anybody who wants to check out the project... it's honestly nothing terribly special... but if you're curious how I put it together check out 264kb Challenge - Twang. If I went back, I'd separate all of the different sounds into tracks and work out track mutes and such to make it sound better... and I think there's some judicious use of filtering tracks that could get some cool effects... but maybe next time.