Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By ludwigoos Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:21 am
yo fam,

if you got time to listen to some of my beats i would highly appreciate you brothas and sistas. maybe there's an mc reading and wanting to connect. let me know yall

peace enjoy your weekend

the italiano

By DokBrown Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:53 pm
I’m gonna b honest; this just didn’t do it for me . . . . . . that being said, I was up from 1am to 4am this morning with barely anything worth recording ;-) I did squeeze a nasty arpeggios out my volca keys [the only thing I recorded]
By CHOPFYT Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 pm
Hey man nice upbeat tracks dude, strong drums and good, bouncy sample arrangement. I could hear the right MC tear through these.
By Scrawny Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:42 pm
I'd say try to get some variety in your drum sounds and pay attention to the way you sequence the kicks especially on that second beat. I like the sample on that first one. I've been wanting to digitalize some beats too
By ludwigoos Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:32 am
Scrawny wrote:I'd say try to get some variety in your drum sounds and pay attention to the way you sequence the kicks especially on that second beat. I like the sample on that first one. I've been wanting to digitalize some beats too

thanks for the feedback guys.

yo scrawny: you're right i wanted to use different drumsounds, but i found a second sample and decided just to throw it down real quick. are you talking about the kicks on "brunnabeats n 1"? do you think they are kind of off too? i changed it up already and made them fit more tight.
if that's not what you meant, please let me know

always down to learn

peace
By Ajax Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 pm
Going to give honest feedback, so don't take it as anything but helpful criticism. Listened to both, and my comments are pretty similar for both.

Your drums sounded a bit too, digital/programmed, for me, if that makes sense. What swing setting did you use? Did you nudge the hits at all? I'm actually all for relatively simple drum arrangements, but im a huge proponent of swing and especially nudging drum (and melodic) hits a couple points late or early to create the headnod. These felt too.... regimented. Like they were just locked to the grid. Id highly recommend using the shift timing or nudge features. I think you'll find they make the beats swing a lot more.

The chops on the first beat (No.2) were cool, once the beat kicked in (after the first pause). Nice, simple chops.. Old school, which I dig. I thought some of the beat drop pauses came off a little awkward, especially because the bass stopped too.. so, it was just naked drums at various intervals.

The sample on the second melody was ok. Im sure I've heard it somewhere. I would have liked some additional elements just to vary the primary loop. It was a little too happy go lucky for me, but that's a personal preference, not a critical response.

None of the foregoing was intended to make it seem like these weren't good, for what its worth. I enjoyed them.. but, I think there's always areas we can all improve in, and those seemed liked ones for you (especially the swing issue)... so, just trying to help.

Cheers.
By ludwigoos Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 pm
Ajax wrote:Going to give honest feedback, so don't take it as anything but helpful criticism. Listened to both, and my comments are pretty similar for both.

Your drums sounded a bit too, digital/programmed, for me, if that makes sense. What swing setting did you use? Did you nudge the hits at all? I'm actually all for relatively simple drum arrangements, but im a huge proponent of swing and especially nudging drum (and melodic) hits a couple points late or early to create the headnod. These felt too.... regimented. Like they were just locked to the grid. Id highly recommend using the shift timing or nudge features. I think you'll find they make the beats swing a lot more.

The chops on the first beat (No.2) were cool, once the beat kicked in (after the first pause). Nice, simple chops.. Old school, which I dig. I thought some of the beat drop pauses came off a little awkward, especially because the bass stopped too.. so, it was just naked drums at various intervals.

The sample on the second melody was ok. Im sure I've heard it somewhere. I would have liked some additional elements just to vary the primary loop. It was a little too happy go lucky for me, but that's a personal preference, not a critical response.

None of the foregoing was intended to make it seem like these weren't good, for what its worth. I enjoyed them.. but, I think there's always areas we can all improve in, and those seemed liked ones for you (especially the swing issue)... so, just trying to help.

Cheers.

thanks for taking the time to type this, appreciate it.
i gotta tell you that i dont use timing on my mpc. every drum hit and every meldoy chop is played with quantize off. i wonder if that's good or bad ahah

i hope you remember the song where you heared that melody from my other beat. would be dope to know if this record i used for that got really sampled by someone.

peace
By NearTao Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:35 pm
It sounds to me like you've got full level on when recording your hits. Everything sounds "loud". I'd suggest making sure you're varying your drum hits a bit more, and maybe have a slight filter to move them a bit more... either recorded in by hand to add a hint of movement, or attached to your velocity so that they sound a little muted as you play them.

Good starting place though, keep making beats :D
By ludwigoos Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:13 am
Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/thevinyldoc/st ... f-the-game

Maybe you can check this beat out aswell and tell me if you like it!

Im trying to get to that preem feel with just simple drums and a sample! Sometimes i wonder for exaple on just rhymin by just ice, how preem made such a crazy beat with just two piano hits.
Maybe someone can reveal some tricks!

Peace
By saltmcgault Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm
I'm not dj pro beatmaker so take what I say with a pellet of water softener salt.

The 1st track.. i get the solo'n the drums hi hats kicks etc. but it didnt sound right to me. I think they could be arranged differently. Its a good practice beat.

2nd track better than the 1st although some of the samples seemed to be off with the start of the loop/chops.. but again its a good practice beat.

3rd beat was pretty dope. i can see why you have dj premier on there.. drums smackn and boom bappin. Good shit just keep practicing and put your 10,000 hours in and you'll get your beats to sound the way you want them too.
By Scrawny Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:53 pm
Basically what salt said but I prefer the first beat to the second one. Maybe if you revisit the first sample in a year you'll turn it into something dope but the second one I can't imagine it sounding that good even 2 years from now
By ludwigoos Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:27 pm
appreciate every word you guys texted.

there's a few things i found out in this forum that im gonna apply to my drums next time i make a beat, see if it changes anything.

for now i just want to say thanx to everyone taking time to respond to my beginner beats.

gonna get my 10.000 hours in at one point ahah.

love from Italy
By Ajax Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:28 am
ludwigoos wrote:Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/thevinyldoc/st ... f-the-game

Maybe you can check this beat out aswell and tell me if you like it!

Im trying to get to that preem feel with just simple drums and a sample! Sometimes i wonder for exaple on just rhymin by just ice, how preem made such a crazy beat with just two piano hits.
Maybe someone can reveal some tricks!

Peace

Nice. I really enjoyed this. And definitely heard the Primo influence.

From a tricks perspective, maybe lower the ghost note kick volumes a bit to punctuate the main kicks? Or add a couple extra minor melodic flourishes here and there to vary it up. But, this was dope. Really well done.