Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By MysteryV Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 am
Haven't quite figured out the software yet, but been putting stuff on YT for friends and family. Figured I'd share here as there are definitely some nuances which you'll hear - due to technical limitations (knowledge based).

My most recent attempt at trap(ish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OmQYzAbTE

Old School Boom Bap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ujs536_4ms

Experiemntal [Trap(ish)?]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_AxNLHv5g

MF Doom (not in my sig): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-laAzpXQ0
By DokBrown Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:03 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ima check it out when I get a chance . . . . .
By MysteryV Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 pm
DokBrown wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ima check it out when I get a chance . . . . .

I appreciate it! It's surprisingly tough to get a reliable outside perspective!
By PhilGox Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:39 am
Hi MysteryV,

Nice "hardware only" job!
If you want outside perspective I can try to give mine, for what it's worth :wink::

-Your first is cool but I think the synths sometimes "eat" the vocals.
May be you should try to make the synths a bit lower and the vocals a bit louder.

-The "Old school Boom Bap" I like the melodies.
Is it the "Electric" plugin?
If yes you have to use several sequences no?

-The "experimental": nice ambiance!
May be I would have lowered a bit the instruments too for a more "impact" drums, but may be it's just me and someone else would say it's ok.

-MF Dooms: good groove!
The horns are ok but sometimes I feel them a bit too invasive with the vocals.
Just a mix detail, the music itself is cool!

Please don't take bad my little comments.
It's just subjective thoughts from a non-pro fellow who makes music for fun.
Sometimes as well I would need fresh ears to make critics on my music but the friends just say "yes it's cool!". This is nice but doesn't help me a lot.
I'd rather like someone to say "this is too loud, this is too long, this sounds strange" etc...
And you're right when you say "It's surprisingly tough to get a reliable outside perspective!". I feel the same.

Hope it will help :)
By MysteryV Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:17 pm
HOW DARE YOU NOT LAUDE MY AMAZING WORK! :D. JKJK

I very much appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! Thank you!

PhilGox wrote:Hi MysteryV,

Nice "hardware only" job!
If you want outside perspective I can try to give mine, for what it's worth :wink::

-Your first is cool but I think the synths sometimes "eat" the vocals.
May be you should try to make the synths a bit lower and the vocals a bit louder.

Agreed for the most part. The only caveat is that the vocals are from an awful DIY rip (you can still hear some of the original 808s and that ridiculous baby noise). I can still make it sound a bit better - I was too excited to share it with a friend of mine so might have rushed the mixing a bit.

PhilGox wrote:-The "Old school Boom Bap" I like the melodies.
Is it the "Electric" plugin?
If yes you have to use several sequences no?

This is a Jan Hammer sample from "Peaceful Sundown" . I didn't do much here beyond the chops, drums, arrangement (meaning no synths). It's part of the reason there's no low end. I couldn't figure out a bassline / sound that would work with it.

PhilGox wrote:-The "experimental": nice ambiance!
May be I would have lowered a bit the instruments too for a more "impact" drums, but may be it's just me and someone else would say it's ok.

Good note. My buddy's note was "the high hat is really annoying" - which - after he mentioned it - I kinda understood as well. I like this one as it's from an ambient kinda Jon Hopkins track (maybe by the same name - emerald and stone). The guitar is from some other old track (which my gf thought was out of tune - but I played with it a LOT and it sounded right to me).

PhilGox wrote:-MF Dooms: good groove!
The horns are ok but sometimes I feel them a bit too invasive with the vocals.
Just a mix detail, the music itself is cool!

Totally hear you about the horns being a bit much at times. My buddy was like "if you left the horns for a chorus part - they'd be way more impactful". I tend to agree - but am also not super skilled at aligning vocals with different breaks in a track. I'm still learning :D

PhilGox wrote:Please don't take bad my little comments.
It's just subjective thoughts from a non-pro fellow who makes music for fun.
Sometimes as well I would need fresh ears to make critics on my music but the friends just say "yes it's cool!". This is nice but doesn't help me a lot.
I'd rather like someone to say "this is too loud, this is too long, this sounds strange" etc...
And you're right when you say "It's surprisingly tough to get a reliable outside perspective!". I feel the same.

Hope it will help :)

I absolutely appreciate the input! I also appreciate the fact that you took the time to make sure you were understood. Thank you VERY MUCH!