Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By B-Wise Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:25 pm
Artistic Intent:
I first got the DR-202 in Aug/Sep of 2002. This was my first hardware device & I spent a lot of time with it as a teen. It has a very warm, fat, gritty lofi sound that may not sound all that appealing on it's own & even back then it sounded outdated, but let see what happens when the DR-202 taps into the Dark-Side power of the Force....

The Test:
This is not me really trying to make a beat with a good composition or play the keys well, it's just me sending the Boss/Roland DR-202 Drums+Bass+Filter thru 2 of the Akai Force FXs (Air Diode & the Vintage Compressor) to test what this 26yr old DR-202 can do with external FX & top of it's own 2 FXs (Dark Hall Reverb & Flanger - I was changing the Flanger type). The DR-202 has a cool funky Cutoff filter & I wanted to test it out with the Force FX's which really help to bring this simple beat to life!

Goofs:
I meant to start this off without the Force FXs so you can hear the before & after, but after doing multiple retakes I forgot to turn it off, but you go to the last 30 seconds & hear the DR-202 by itself. I didn't turn down the video track that had the pad noise of me banging on them.