Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers
By Pink Bourbon Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:24 am
Just started getting back into making some sample-based house music (I guess) after a couple years of some hearing issues; been listening to a lot of Moodymann lately. I recently picked up a MPC 1000 for pure vibes.

The machine and JJOS2XL are way more inspiring to work with than the MPC One I used to have but arranging and exporting was a bit of a pain. I used the song function to create a mix down of individual stems using track mutes. Was way more tedious than the MCP One, but probably less tedious than manually tracking everything into a DAW. I lightly mixed the stems in Logic.

Curious how people are creating more complex/varied arrangements directly in the MPC/JJOS. Trying to avoid the DAW as much as possible right now for the creative stuff cause I'm working all day on a computer. This track was a bit formulaic in structure but I think there may be some MPC tricks/functionality that I still need to learn.

Here's the track: https://soundcloud.com/pink-bourbon-484201892/your-time
By NearTao Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:56 pm
It's been a while... but I believe there were two things I'd do.

1) Once you've got a sequence going with different parts, duplicate the sequence multiple times and then you can mute different tracks on each sequence

2) I forget, but I believe you can record track mute automation... so you could duplicate a 4 bar loop to 16/32/... bars, and I think record track mute automation to build a track

A couple ideas to try at least... hope that helps you out.
By Pink Bourbon Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:12 am
NearTao wrote:It's been a while... but I believe there were two things I'd do.

1) Once you've got a sequence going with different parts, duplicate the sequence multiple times and then you can mute different tracks on each sequence

2) I forget, but I believe you can record track mute automation... so you could duplicate a 4 bar loop to 16/32/... bars, and I think record track mute automation to build a track

A couple ideas to try at least... hope that helps you out.

Thanks! That definitely helps. I used the first technique quite a bit but I should probably try out recording mute automation. Might be a bit more fluid and less tedious than duplicating sequences.