Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By D-One Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:25 am
Just wondering if anyone ever tryed to mod the USB 1.0 to a 2.0...
Do you tech guys have any info on that? is it possible..?

Backing up the hardrive takes forever.. moving just 1Gb of data gives enought time to clean my house with a tooth brush! :(
By maara Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 pm
D-One wrote:Just wondering if anyone ever tryed to mod the USB 1.0 to a 2.0...
Do you tech guys have any info on that? is it possible..?

Backing up the hardrive takes forever.. moving just 1Gb of data gives enought time to clean my house with a tooth brush! :(

i dont think it will be ever possible.... but you are right - usb 1.0 sucks....
By maara Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:36 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:At least we don't have to deal with scsi and parallel anymore. Be greatful.

In fact usb 1.1 has 1,5 - 12Mbps speed rate and the poorest scsi has about 40Mbps
2nd thing is that there are scsi<->usb converters so the ide to equip an mpc with usb 1.1 was huge step backwards....
anyway-we can do nothing with that - as i said - usb 1.1 sucks.....
By D-One Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 am
an mpc with usb 1.1 was huge step backwards....
True!

I guess ill just buy a 2.5" USB 2.0 HD Enclosure Case to back up my sh*t.. i will to open the machine each time i do it but well... life aint perfect.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 am
On a computer motherboard there are USB pin out/headers (pins that stick out) for connection to a USB port.
If I remember... USB1 has 1 ground wire (4 colored wires all together) while USB2 has 2 ground wires (5 different colored wires all together).
But I don't believe it's that simple to just add an extra ground wire to make USB2.

D-One wrote:
an mpc with usb 1.1 was huge step backwards....
True!

I guess ill just buy a 2.5" USB 2.0 HD Enclosure Case to back up my sh*t.. i will to open the machine each time i do it but well... life aint perfect.

That's what I finally had to tell my friend to do with his 1000 since I do that with my MV8000.
But we use an IDE to USB adapter to transfer data from the MPC/MV harddrive to a computer for back up.
Lot faster method using USB2...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=12-232-002-S01%2c12-232-002-S02%2c12-232-002-S03%2c12-232-002-S04%2c12-232-002-S05%2c12-232-002-S06&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16812232002&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=VANTEC%20CB-ISATAU2%20SATA%2fIDE%20to%20USB%202.0%20Adapter%20-%20Retail

And yeah... USB 1 Sux!!!!
By maara Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:On a computer motherboard there are USB pin out/headers (pins that stick out) for connection to a USB port.
If I remember... USB1 has 1 ground wire (4 colored wires all together) while USB2 has 2 ground wires (5 different colored wires all together).
But I don't believe it's that simple to just add an extra ground wire to make USB2.

pin headers are there - see photo of mpc 2500 mainboard http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-10250485400913_2058_436853
but i dont believe that there is some free usb pin on the motherboard hidden there and waiting for his time to get revealed and get an usb 2.0 expansion... :-(
By MPCHunter Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:On a computer motherboard there are USB pin out/headers (pins that stick out) for connection to a USB port.

Correct.

There are additional protocols for negotiating a high speed data transfer for USB2.0, so the firmware would have to be upgraded (which would not be an easy task) in addition to any hardware modifications that would have to be made.

Your best bet for a quicker file transfer would be pull the internal drive out and use a desktop PC to copy the data over -- which may end up being more hassle than it's worth.
By djchucknorris Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:21 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:
At least we don't have to deal with scsi and parallel anymore. Be greatful.

In fact usb 1.1 has 1,5 - 12Mbps speed rate and the poorest scsi has about 40Mbps
2nd thing is that there are scsi<->usb converters so the ide to equip an mpc with usb 1.1 was huge step backwards....
anyway-we can do nothing with that - as i said - usb 1.1 sucks.....

Hellfire is spot on. The guy should know the headache of SCSI since his pic is a 2000XL. Keeping SCSI would have been a big mistake, those connections always screw up. Every single person I know with a 2000 or 2000XL constantly have problems with their SCSI connections and zip discs. If USB 1.1 (which yes does suck) is too slow than put it on a CF card and then transfer the data to the computer with a USB2.0 card reader. I'd rather have my beats backed up slowly than not saved or loading properly because of my malfunctioning SCSI connection.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:17 am
They only problems I've really encountered with SCSI is the big azz cable connectors and trying to terminate it.
I've dealt with SCSI connections since '97 (computers and music gear) and never had a problem.
The problems people usually have is forgetting to connect all the SCSI cables before powering up their gear.... blows the SCSI fuse.

If AKAI really wanted to be ahead of the game, they should have went with a Firewire connection. :wink:
By maara Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am
JUKE 179r wrote:If AKAI really wanted to be ahead of the game, they should have went with a Firewire connection. :wink:

Firewire sucks too.... It also have no hotplug and there is no speed improvement when comparing to usb 2.0. Most of laptops have no firewire at this time.... Its dead (for mass storage)
By D-One Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 pm
Ok how about this.. i know its a crazy idea but bare with me..

It should not be to hard to find a way to some how solder a wire to each pin of the MPC internal IDE conector to make a cable that would pass over on top of drive to the front pannel.. and then open a hole in the front panel to hold and IDE to USB Conector and have the Custom cable connected to it..... you would end up with a fast USB conection in the front of you machine to backup your HD. Does this sound reasonable or am i really crazy? =D
By JUKE 179r Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 am
I somewhat tried this on my 2KXL. No workee.
I tried using a IDE to USB cable and all the MPC did was blink on and off.

I've also tried a PCMCIA USB card installed into my SCSI card reader. Still nothing.

Yep.. the 2KXL is too old for new technology. :(
Good luck on a 2500 though.
By djchucknorris Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:12 am
Firewire sucks too.... It also have no hotplug and there is no speed improvement when comparing to usb 2.0. Most of laptops have no firewire at this time.... Its dead (for mass storage)

This may vary from country to country throughout the world. In North America, a lot of Firewire products are hot swapable (if that's what you meant by hotplug) and most laptops have at least a 4-pin FW400 Firewire ports. The new macbooks have a Firewire800 port, which blows USB2.0 out of the water. Firewire is far more stable than USB. Even though the technical reports show a higher transfer speed with UBS2.0, it is completely unnoticeable with audio products such as interfaces and A/D convertors. The interfaces & A/D's that are Firewire definitely have a better record for not screwing up and having less system conflicts.
By mr_debauch Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:13 am
djchucknorris wrote:

This may vary from country to country throughout the world. In North America, a lot of Firewire products are hot swapable (if that's what you meant by hotplug) and most laptops have at least a 4-pin FW400 Firewire ports. The new macbooks have a Firewire800 port, which blows USB2.0 out of the water. Firewire is far more stable than USB. Even though the technical reports show a higher transfer speed with UBS2.0, it is completely unnoticeable with audio products such as interfaces and A/D convertors. The interfaces & A/D's that are Firewire definitely have a better record for not screwing up and having less system conflicts.

I have a feeling that is only because firewire is less used on a typical system then USB. Everything uses usb now a days.