Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By happyhour Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:49 am
What the effin eff?! :evil:

Okay, so I bought my MPK49 second hand about 2 months ago. I made sure it was perfectly operational before copping knowing full well about the joints with lifted/broken keys I'd seen on Ebay. I thought those were caused by real careless owners. No way an Akai product could break so easily I thought. So a few minutes ago I was using it to play with Reason and I turned around to mess with some settings and as I'm turning back to the MPK I notice :shock: the end C key was slightly higher than the next key (nooooooo)! I press it down to see what's wrong and it popped all the way up! I had to shake out the little plastic piece that snapped off.

Basically it looks like the keys hook around a plastic "hook" that keep them all level. On this "hook" is a rubber piece I guess it functions as a cushion when you release the key. These plastic "hooks" seem to be on a one piece, keyboard wide, mounting...I don't know what else to call it. Basically, if you're not careful any key is subject to breaking without you really knowing. As heavy as the MPK is you'd think this key holder deal would be made out of metal right???!

I'd take a pic but I'm among the 38 people left in America without a digital camera. haha

I probably should have avoided the MPK after seeing more than a few with lifted keys on Ebay. I wasn't researching other brands though cause I was keen on the pads (which suck) and the note repeat really. Perhaps, I should have gone with the Axiom 49. I don't know but generally I've never really seen that many keyboards with lifted keys whatsoever.

Now I gotta figure out how to MacGyver it. Maybe break out the

Piece of NUKAI shit. :angry:

AVOID IT folks!
By JUKE 179r Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 am
happyhour wrote:What the effin eff?! :evil:

Piece of NUKAI shit. :angry:

AVOID IT folks!

+1

Got mine straight put the box (Nov '08), started to hook it up to my Mac Book Pro and one of the damn keys was already popped up! I called Musicians Friend about it and they "Lied" and said that they never heard of that problem before. They said that it must have happened while being mailed out to my APO address so it's wasn't thier fault and to notify Nukai. WTF???

Last edited by JUKE 179r on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JUKE 179r Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:14 pm
Not really. It's a great midi controller (for LIVE!!!!) but the keys are built really schitty.
By v00d00ppl Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 pm
u should try novation...they might not have the mpc pads....but the keys are built waay better thank nukai's....i bought my x station used 4 years ago and i use it regularly and not one problem with the keys.

or if you are really cheap nab an emu xboard and just do a direct midi connection to your computer versus usb and you should be good. (aftertouch is only recognized on the xborad if its a direct midi connection not usb)
By jonestown massacre Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 pm
happyhour wrote:Perhaps, I should have gone with the Axiom 49.

If you run Pro Tools, the Axiom 49 Pro is a must. Dont sleep!
By Jaytim3 Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:u should try novation...they might not have the mpc pads....but the keys are built waay better thank nukai's....i bought my x station used 4 years ago and i use it regularly and not one problem with the keys.

or if you are really cheap nab an emu xboard and just do a direct midi connection to your computer versus usb and you should be good. (aftertouch is only recognized on the xborad if its a direct midi connection not usb)

Exactly!

I have a Novation remote Sl 61, so much better. Anyways u dont need the pads on the MPK when u have a MPC, and thats why i think its a waste.
By **valentin** Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 pm
the mpk49 is what like 400 right? and its faulty

the mpc 1000 is 1,000. funny. hah. and it (was) faulty. (the pads)

so if something that cost that much is faulty

you can count me out on getting the lpk25

i wanted to get it. but i mean.. if a 400 dollar keyboard controller has the keys popping off.

what would happen with that little cheap affordable lpk25.
By happyhour Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 am
I wish I'd would have seen more details about how keys broke cause perhaps then I would have really avoided it. That's why I posted my story here. Let people know it's a poor/weak design Akai created.

I searched for how to fix keyboard keys, I believe I ended up on Gearsluts, and a few guys mentioned that Yamaha hooked them up NO CHARGE to repair whatever keyboard they mention was broken even though it was purchased second hand. I'm going to physically call Akai and ask what they can do cause this is bs.

Hey valentin you never know, the keydesign on the LPK might be different all together, but who knows. haha
By v00d00ppl Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:21 am
LvngDead wrote:Even with ableton live or the mv 8000.......the axiom is beautiful.

plug and play to the fullest.

you use the axiom to control multisamples on the mv8000????

my only gripe with m audio products in ther usb drivers aren't compatible with most motherboards, but if you use a direct midi connection to your pc and use a generic AC adapter for power you can reeduce midi lag by quite a bit.
By Triple-X Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 am
god Im really getting fukin sick of hearing about, reading about and personally witnessing Akai products breaking like pieces of sh!t on some Toy like cheapo ass construction.

Im a victim of this myself. and other than spend money to ship your gear off to get fixed under warranty there aint sh!t u can do.
B!tching gets you no where. so WTF.

the part about this pisses me off the most.. is future products. meaning nothing new coming from them. let alone made well.

SO many companies these days are doing this sh!t. Cutting every corner possible to save a buck so as to try n earn 2.
In the process if you loose customers, and word of mouth spreads that the gear is trash now, ppl wont buy it.
if they would just stick to the script and do it right they would be fine and prosper. I mean who the fuk is running these companies?
By djchucknorris Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:53 am
I mean who the fuk is running these companies?

Most likely people that have either never touched an MPC...
or people that have touched one briefly and then laughed at the novelty...
Just picture your average business suit d*uche hitting the pads..."Look at me guys, I'm a producer. I'm busting beats!"

I'm holding on to my first run 2500 for dear life! The last great one in a (non-lasting) great legacy...