Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Dockyslim Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:37 am
I've been checking out the posts for a minute and after reading this one decided to join. A big thank you for this guide on the installation. I have an issue that I hope anyone can help me with. My screen is really light, kinda like its fading or if you put it on the lowest contrast point. Its getting so bad that you cannot even see it if you turn the light I've tried the obvious, holding the shift button down and turning the jog wheel, even disconnecting the 8 outs I recently installed. I thought it was the screen but after installing the new screen, it is the same. Any thoughts? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
By SMC Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:41 pm
You're gonna be really hard pressed to find a new source for these screens.

There are not only a number of discontinued components, but even then, there's nobody in their right mind that's gonna re-manufacture an obsolete IC for a very limited application. The 'tooling' costs alone for setup make this unachievable by any reasonable budget.

Nothing. They are gone :( get em while you can if you can find them. dead or alive
By peterpiper Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm
SMC wrote:You're gonna be really hard pressed to find a new source for these screens.

There are not only a number of discontinued components, but even then, there's nobody in their right mind that's gonna re-manufacture an obsolete IC for a very limited application. The 'tooling' costs alone for setup make this unachievable by any reasonable budget.

Nothing. They are gone :( get em while you can if you can find them. dead or alive

That sound very pessimistic. I know it looks like there is no solution but I dont belive that. The world got many skilled freaks and they already did crazy stuff. I think the solution could be a fingersnap. All we need is the person with specific skills and the passion for a project like that and more info bout that display (datasheet etc).
Dont get me wrong. I dont think that any manufacturer will do the 248x64 pixel screen again. But I can imagine that someone could make a conversation to another LCD size or maybe a VGA conversation (just like the 3000 VGA board)
So please share all the knowledge and talk with people about that problem (electronic freaks, engeneers, blogs, forum etc)

peace
By SMC Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 pm
:D

I'm just stirring things up. sorry.

I'm on to something. Kinda. Briefly noted it in another post. :D

I'm a jerk like this!

I have datasheets (Schematics anyway) . For the screens as well as the entire unit and the 8 out, and the FX board.

The screen is really tricky, but there is a slight glimpse of hope.

Maybe It'll turn up. Big ups to VST for their assistance as well.

Soon as I hear something they will as well, cause I wouldn't be even remotely to where I am with it if it weren't for them.

The IC is the kicker here as far as I can tell, but there may be hope
By pablova Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:38 pm
hi mate

thanks its funny cause a video said to just take it out from the front?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZK9LWH22I

wantec to ask you your advice on this ansd a good cheap place to get the screens?

ours has some lines in it and barely /kinda-ish readable

is it possible to clean it and maybe improve it do you know? and how ?

and someone said this is cheap alternative on this forum somewhere

http://www.futurlec.com/LED/BLUE240X64LCD.shtml

please offer any advice if ya can

just bought our 2000xl beaty and want to get it up and running properly

thanks man

great post btw!

thanks

p
By SMC Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm
I don't think that's even remotely close to possible

The pin counts and configurations are drastically different.
By ALustyGhost Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:27 am
SMC, you said in another post that 95% of the dead screens you see are a failure of the connection between the controller board and the panel. If this is right, and the ICs and panelss are still in working condition after failure, why aren't you focusing on developing a way to replace the ribbon connector itself? It seems like that would be a lot easier than reverse engineering the control board. Or did I misunderstand your other post? To the ICs themselves fail often?
By turn Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:11 pm
1o2 wrote:can you tell me where did you copped your lcd screen for the mpc 2kxl and how much it cost you?

i got my replacement years back through vst. i paid over $100(cant remember exactly)and got on a waiting list till they manufactured new ones. the word back then was that was that was the last batch they were going to make and wouldnt make more. i think the only way new screens will be made is if eveyone that needs a new screen gets together money in hand and contacts them like we need x amount of screens.like a group buy type of thing if its profitable to them maybe it could happen...
good luck finding a used screen in the meantime.
By andar Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 am
Hey guys,

Found a cheap MPC2000 on craigslist with a dead screen. Never owned a MPC, but always wanted one.
From what I've read, it seems like there are no more screens available.

I'm studying Electrical Engineering at the moment, might be able to help adapt a screen. I saw the DSP12 screen worked for someone, but I don't even see those for sale. Anyone have any info on the screen or figured out a replacement solution yet?
By fasttrackpimp Tue May 11, 2010 11:54 pm
I don't have my 2k anymore, but decided to email akai about the screens. They can't even get them it sounds like.

OG Question: Any possible way you could do another run of mpc 2000/2000xl screens. I know people in need of one and willing to pay. We all love those machines and would love to keep using them. PLEASE let me know. Thank you.

In House Email 1: Paul,

Please see customer’s email below. I don’t believe we’ll have any more of these, correct?

Best Regards,

Mary Robichaud
Sales Administration Manager
Numark/Alesis/Akai Professional

In House Email 2: Mary,

This is correct. The part is discontinued and no longer available for “US” to purchase.

Paul Lucia
Logistics Manager

Email to me 1: Hello [name],

Unfortunately, the MPC2000’s are discontinued and have been for some time, so we no longer have the LDC screens for these units.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best Regards,

Mary Robichaud

Email to me 2: [name],

I should have mentioned that you could also try any of our repair centers to see if they would have some available for you.

Armen’s Repair Center
New York, NY
212-563-4514

VST
Pasadena, CA
866-464-3533

Forat
Studio City, CA
818-763-3007

TSI
Paramus, NJ
201-670-1767

ADS
North Hollywood, CA
818-754-0467

I believe the screen for the Akai Z8 might work as well, but I can’t guarantee that. You may want to ask the repair center that you contact.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Mary Robichaud