Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By BGBEATS Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm
Mr Guiness wrote:Without any sarcasm ( cause I really need the encouragement ) What well known underground producers are still working 9 to 5 's that you know of ? I read an article where M-Zone said he works a 9 to 5 but I cant think of anyone else .

I don't think any of em only make beats I think many get alot of deejay gigs ( as most great beatmaking producers in hip hop were deejay's first).. having notable production/records out/ remixes etc increases the DJ name.

gives the gig promoter something else to promote/ tie in.
By Fess Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 pm
MalaKai wrote:http://malakaibeats.blogspot.com/2009/08/guide-to-selling-beats.html

I've spent the last while putting this together, I hope it help out a bit on the education front.

update: reposted the article in this thread but had to remove some of the links due to posting limits. it shouldn't detract from the original & is meant to be a backup in the event the blogspot post is unavailable.

Dope period. You just said it all man.
By Mr Guiness Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 am
BGBEATS wrote:
Mr Guiness wrote:Without any sarcasm ( cause I really need the encouragement ) What well known underground producers are still working 9 to 5 's that you know of ? I read an article where M-Zone said he works a 9 to 5 but I cant think of anyone else .

I don't think any of em only make beats I think many get alot of deejay gigs ( as most great beatmaking producers in hip hop were deejay's first).. having notable production/records out/ remixes etc increases the DJ name.

Yeah but I'm talking more specifically 9 to 5 jobs , you know - non music related jobs .
By BGBEATS Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am
Mr Guiness wrote:
BGBEATS wrote:

Yeah but I'm talking more specifically 9 to 5 jobs , you know - non music related jobs .

they prob tend not to focus on those job's when promoting their music stuff

like I don't usually mention to beat clients of mine that I also catch/videotape cheating spouses etc as a P.I.
so I would think those guys would not want to talk about it.

The rapper mad skillz.... now SKILLZ was the parking deck attendant at virginia commonwealth university even with records out .. so it happens
By mr_debauch Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 am
BGBEATS wrote:[
like I don't usually mention to beat clients of mine that I also catch/videotape cheating spouses etc as a P.I.

shit that's hilarious! awesome job for a 9-5 (9pm-5am.. lol)

you should tape yourself banging some broad and get payed for catching yourself! hahahaha!
By MalaKai Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:55 am
Mr Guiness wrote:

I believe I've read somewhere that Damu the Fudgemunk works a 9-5. I'd be willing to bet that it's more common than not for a lot of well-known producers to hold down jobs. But I guess if we're talking "major" industry producers than maybe not.
By BGBEATS Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 am
mr_debauch wrote:

**** that's hilarious! awesome job for a 9-5 (9pm-5am.. lol)

you should tape yourself banging some broad and get payed for catching yourself! hahahaha!

you see some funny shit, but them some kinda sad stuff like one chick in 2004 a couple months after getting "busted" jumped off a bridge. then one lady who thought her husband had a "girlfriend" actually was going the other way
By mr_debauch Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:12 am
BGBEATS wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

**** that's hilarious! awesome job for a 9-5 (9pm-5am.. lol)

you see some funny shit, but them some kinda sad stuff like one chick in 2004 a couple months after getting "busted" jumped off a bridge. then one lady who thought her husband had a "girlfriend" actually was going the other way

yeah man I could only imagine... it aint all like on tv where the chick comes out and slaps the other girl and her man and you hear nothing but beeping on the tv...

but man, that job takes some dedication. gotta be patient and slick and it aint time to pack it up once it hits 5pm... you gotta be there to grab the photo or what not.
By MVP Loops Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 am
That's a great read. I also want to point a new trend of people downloading pirated sample packs off the torrents and using them for beats. I own a sample sound company and have to deal with this daily. What people need to understand also is that if that track ever makes it big and the company who owns the license gets wind of it they can legally come after your money. There are terms and conditions of use in the sample packs and if you didn't pay for it you essentially are using "uncleared" samples. As the article says you can get away with it if you are flying under the radar. But what if the samples are used in a commercial recording. the last thing you want is to be sitting around your pool at your new crib that you bought from royalties from your hit song and have a lawyer come serve you papers.
By b.read Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:43 am
I can see what you mean, but it seems kind of outlandish to think that people that will not pay to clear samples, won't pirate sample packs on the web...You know?
By es-k Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm
MVP Loops wrote:That's a great read. I also want to point a new trend of people downloading pirated sample packs off the torrents and using them for beats. I own a sample sound company and have to deal with this daily. What people need to understand also is that if that track ever makes it big and the company who owns the license gets wind of it they can legally come after your money. There are terms and conditions of use in the sample packs and if you didn't pay for it you essentially are using "uncleared" samples. .

does that mean we have to "save receipts" when buying sample packs? ??? just curious - how can u tell they didn't buy it in the first place??
By pk1 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm
es-k wrote:
MVP Loops wrote:That's a great read. I also want to point a new trend of people downloading pirated sample packs off the torrents and using them for beats. I own a sample sound company and have to deal with this daily. What people need to understand also is that if that track ever makes it big and the company who owns the license gets wind of it they can legally come after your money. There are terms and conditions of use in the sample packs and if you didn't pay for it you essentially are using "uncleared" samples. .

does that mean we have to "save receipts" when buying sample packs? ??? just curious - how can u tell they didn't buy it in the first place??

He/they can't. That's why he is complaining. But on the note he is tipping about.. If you are boosting your sample packs. Your probably just plain ole wackiness anyway. I remember the day when it was unkooth to use sample packs. Only lame asses who want to make tracks that sound like all the same stuff you here from radio use those. Now heads are like what ever! But these kids also think what they listen to or make is hip hop. When it's clearly pop music.
Lets try to understand what originality is b4 we claim to be "keeping real"

Back to topic though. Great info and very appreciative