Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By ssan Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:08 pm
i hav recently started jus using logic for all my sequencing, iam thinking bout selling my 4000. do you think i should keep my 4000 or sell it. iam gonna buy the mashine by native instrument to make all my drum sound a sequrning.
By ntalec Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 pm
Seems strange when people ask questions like this.
You are sitting there so you should be able to easily determine if Logic does all you need it to do.
Maschine doesn't impress me but that's based on me.
You should be able to quickly know if you like or dislike Maschine.
Get a copy of the manual then go hang out with the users to ask questions.
That will allow you to know what you're doing when you go to try one out.
If Logic is working for you the bigget step is already taken care of for moving away from the 4k.
By ReuBen KinKade Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:46 am
Ssan, The MPC Series Sequencers are arguably the best sequencers ever made. I wish I could just implant the MPC sequencer onto a software format, with a comparable controller. If this happened, I probably would trade in my MPC 4000 (On second thought, Maybe not !!!). Anyway, the MPC is really a breakthrough in the Human/Technological intuitive experience ! This generally is the reason many competitive producers still use the MPC along with all of the other modern technology available. I like Maschine a whole lot. I use Motu BPM as a staple, and their all fun and intuitive, but that MPC ............. well....... those in the "know", they understand ! Yet I must say though, you really have to find your own niche, what works best for you - Reub
By ntalec Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:28 am
ReuBen KinKade wrote:Ssan, The MPC Series Sequencers are arguably the best sequencers ever made. I wish I could just implant the MPC sequencer onto a software format, with a comparable controller. If this happened, I probably would trade in my MPC 4000 (On second thought, Maybe not !!!). Anyway, the MPC is really a breakthrough in the Human/Technological intuitive experience ! This generally is the reason many competitive producers still use the MPC along with all of the other modern technology available. I like Maschine a whole lot. I use Motu BPM as a staple, and their all fun and intuitive, but that MPC ............. well....... those in the "know", they understand ! Yet I must say though, you really have to find your own niche, what works best for you - Reub

Did you notice he said that he has moved to sequencing in Logic instead of on the 4k?
He was saying that he was planning to use Maschine to replace his drum sampling/sequencing.
So he has already given up on the MPC sequencer to a certain degree.
As you say it what works best for you and if he didn't feel an immediate loss from switching to Logic then maybew the 4k was never his path to follow.
By ReuBen KinKade Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:53 am
No Doubt, ntalec. If it works for him then that's a good look ! I was just reminding him that there's a reason why many new school & old school cats still prefer the MPC as a sequencer in terms of creativity and comfort to DAW sequencing. I actually prefer both for different things. If ITB is good for him, and anyone else for that matter, it's a good thing ! Fire is Fire ! - Reub.
By dabmeister Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:07 pm
Different strokes for different folks is what I've always heard. Anyway, I'm reading through a few threads about the lack of midi ports on maschine. This again is on a preference level, though I agree with those that say they'd still want to have access and external control with their hardware sound modules which having more midi ports would be a breeze.

But I'm not getting rid of my 4k since I'm learning newer things about it, and what I can do with it combined with my daw.
By Askia Shaheed Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:40 am
ReuBen KinKade wrote:...I wish I could just implant the MPC sequencer onto a software format, with a comparable controller.... - Reub

+1
By konc3pt Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:10 pm
if you dont need the cash, keep the 4000....couple of reasons, just in case software setup does not work for you long term, second if you wanna get away from the computer or try something different you always got the 4000...

My 4000 sat there for about a year without being turned on before I sailed it off on ebay, and forget about those computer sequencer and sound myths people trying implement

as far as maschines I/O's you are limited to what your audio interface is equipped with
By Blue Haze Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm
Keep your mpc. You may come back to it one day. Software is cool and I`m working more in that realm these days. But I am keeping my 4k it still have that feel. It is up to you.
By ReuBen KinKade Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 pm
Keep your mpc. You may come back to it one day. Software is cool and I`m working more in that realm these days. But I am keeping my 4k it still have that feel. It is up to you.
Yes Sir !
By Clint Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm
Sounds like your decision has already been made.

Sell the 4000 and buy stuff that you will use.

As long as you get a good price for the 4000 you won't look back in anger.
By ReuBen KinKade Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 pm
Sounds like your decision has already been made.

Sell the 4000 and buy stuff that you will use.

As long as you get a good price for the 4000 you won't look back in anger
Yep ! (Maybe - lol !)
By MoreBuck$ Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 am
Why not keep the 4000 and just get some good midi controllers? or better yet use the 4000 as a midi controller for logic and get an additional usb midi slider/knob interface.

If you loose the 4000 you will cry a lot and prob never get another one later on as many people keep hold of these suckers cause they're bad ass!!!!!!!!!
???

Maschine sucks fat balls and there are better interfaces out there :roll:
By dryad-66 Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 am
Sell the mpc as youl have too much otherwise.concentrate on one(or 2) forms of sequencing.ect.the 4000 demands you spend your life enjoing its design.but its well worth it imo.Altho my new logic setup is seriously calling out for some more investigation.ive really gotta put the 4k on the backburner for a while.This is fact-when you eject the 4 out of your studio your saying goodbye to one of the best pro bits of equipment EVER produced.In some ways for beatmakers and anyone who wants to sequence things,the best ever!!that sound does need some processing tho once it comes out the unit eq and tube warmth.And ive heard that the 4k triggering logic is unreal!!!!!!!!
By ReuBen KinKade Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 pm
MPC Series Sequencer = Instant Gratification & Satisfaction -- Logic & Other Sequencers = Gratification & Satisfaction -- BOTTOM LINE: End Result = Gratification & Satisfaction -- Now Choose Your Weapon(s) !!! -- [Wow !!! I sound like one of those dudes who spend all day loitering through forums] - Yikes ! I'm done !!! - OUT !!! -- Reub.