Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Rodrigo Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if he uses more than one hardware interface. Although I feel like he uses the MPC 60II primarily. I only say this because you can hear how the 60 colors the drums. The high end etc. Plenty of producers use various equipment. I know RZA started with the SP1200, then moved to the ASR 10, and I think he now uses the Roland MV8800. Sometimes producers use a combination of different equipment, I know a popular set up used to be the SP1200 for the drums and the S950 for the samples. The ASR 10 also sounds crazy on the samples. But nowadays you have Native Instruments duplicating that vintage sound as a plug in. I'm waiting till they get more updates before I consider messing with it. Hopefully they'll add the ASR to the arsenal.
By Jim Beats Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm
Im still wondering if anyone here actually tried to do live trackmutes on a mpc60. If you did you know it aint easy.
By The Grublet Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:16 pm
maybe... but no way did he use it before he fd with lib.

track mute on 60

??

main screen, track on, off.. solo,

easy
By Rodrigo Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 pm
AntonPD wrote:off topic, but related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FrNeE7Duqw
how do you think this guy does his drums? most of his songs, the drums have the same recognizable vibe..

If he's using the MPC, it sounds like he's using the Note Off/Note On function on the percussive/snare hits, not excessive though. I feel like he just has the Mono function on the 808 kick. Also, he's using the Quantize function, maybe with a little swing too.

I thought the FX he's running on the guitar sample is probably the dopest part of the whole track. Would rather know how he does that, and what he's using. Maybe it's just a simple reverb/echo plugin with some automation. I personally prefer different styles of music, but it's interesting.
By Jim Beats Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:21 pm
The Grublet wrote:maybe... but no way did he use it before he fd with lib.

track mute on 60

??

main screen, track on, off.. solo,

easy

And what then? Does the MPC record it to the sequence? :?:
By Rodrigo Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:27 pm
^
You can't record track mutes. You can either copy a sequence and mute certain sections to toggle between one sequence to another. The smaller the bars, the more control. Or just record onto another medium (Pro Tools etc.) using the stereo outputs or the 8 outs, and perform live mutes. This is the case with the MPC2000xl, so I'm guessing it's the same for the 60.
By Jim Beats Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:00 pm
Rodrigo wrote:^
You can't record track mutes. You can either copy a sequence and mute certain sections to toggle between one sequence to another. The smaller the bars, the more control. Or just record onto another medium (Pro Tools etc.) using the stereo outputs or the 8 outs, and perform live mutes. This is the case with the MPC2000xl, so I'm guessing it's the same for the 60.

yeah I know I just wanted him to answer me :P If he works with trackmutes I think he does it live. I would just use the erase button.
By syn-fi Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 am
**he uses all the aforementioned techniques and none of them because he is an elusive villain**

He mentions the MPC 3000 and MPC60 in this interview: https://soundcloud.com/thehouselistpodc ... -1#t=48:11. Just before, same interview, he talks about dumping 2-tracks as he didn't have a way to record.

Some of Operation Doomsday is MPC60/SP but some of it is 3000 -stereo drums.

King Geedorah - some of it is MPC 3000 but there 'I Wonder' is MPC2000 as those hi-hats really ring with the telltale resonance of the MPC2000.

MM...Food is mostly MPC2XL according to this interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnsVf5 ... u.be&t=459 To record VS1680, the one he has under his arm for the Madvillany photos.

This posted, elsewhere, on this forum is also correct:

DOOM: Yeaah that's a good question... Yeah me and some of my partners that rhyme, we discuss the same ****... We feel that some drums are too quantized.. and it's too much on the 1 and the 8... Sometimes I'll quantize, but I'll truncate the snare so it'll come late... We get a more natural feel... Also, we quantize our drums to sound off-beat on purpose.. So sometimes when you think we're not quantizing, we really are...

His snares are often laid back, snappy (tuned up) but slightly off grid. He also does some tempo changes but they sound that like it was done at the point of recording rather than via sequencing. Then some of his tracks loop perfectly.

Whatever his style you won't be able to imitate it, it is ever changing.