Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By talll13 Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm
Hi... I am new at mpc 2000xl and i have a question.
Lets suppose you want to do a live performance (non stop) with the xl. I would like to know some ways of changing songs...
For example is there any way to play a sequence 1 and program 1 and after play continuously sequence 2 and program 2?
If anyone knows some tricks, please help me...
regards.
By Em.p.cee.j Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 pm
talll13 wrote:Hi... I am new at mpc 2000xl and i have a question.
Lets suppose you want to do a live performance (non stop) with the xl. I would like to know some ways of changing songs...
For example is there any way to play a sequence 1 and program 1 and after play continuously sequence 2 and program 2?
If anyone knows some tricks, please help me...
regards.

Its not really a trick to it... just assign a program number to the program.. and assign the same program number to a track within the sequence. The specifics are in the manual.
By talll13 Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:04 am
sorry but i couldn t make it... can someone be more detailed plz.
The only think i ve managed to do is after loading 2 sequences and their programs is...
i assigned prg 1 to drum track 1 and seq 1, then prg 2 to drum track 2 and seq 2. When i change the seq and press the pads, plays the right program when i press play the seq 2, plays the sounds of program 1.
By _Stilo_ Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Just to avoid misunderstandings you should be clearer what you mean with "program" and "drum track". Each track of a sequence can use one of four different programs (DRUM 1-4), which each can be assigned to one of max. 24 programs in the memory. You can change the assignment of the DRUMs to each track in each sequence (so e.g. Seq1 uses DRUM1&2, Seq2 uses DRUM3&4).

But your main limitation to using it live would probably be the memory to hold several different songs at once, and for the transition during the time to load new songs into memory you will need something else.
By talll13 Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 pm
ok i think i figured it out... I ve made 2 programs, i assign the 'midi program change' number in 1 for the 1st and in 2 for the second... Then i made 2 sequencers and in the main screen, where it says pgm (is off by default), i used number 1 for the 1st seq and number 2 for the 2nd seq. I think it works...

Thanks a lot for the help, but as i told i m new on mpc.

"_Stilo_" it is true that i can t understand the use of drum tracks 1-4, and what is the meaning... i ve placed all of the programs in drum track 1....
By _Stilo_ Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:06 pm
talll13 wrote:ok i think i figured it out... I ve made 2 programs, i assign the 'midi program change' number in 1 for the 1st and in 2 for the second... Then i made 2 sequencers and in the main screen, where it says pgm (is off by default), i used number 1 for the 1st seq and number 2 for the 2nd seq. I think it works...

Well, that sounds like the complicated way...that's usually only necessary if you want to connect the MPC via MIDI to something else, because it sends out those program numbers via MIDI.

Read the manual about recording sequences and creating programs and basically just try it. The DRUM 1-4 are just slots to assign your programs to, and you can use those 4 in whatever track or sequence you like.
By The Grublet Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:13 pm
JEL from Anticon does it for a whole set (1 hr) with only one load.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknMQRMEddE&feature=related
By talll13 Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Thanks a lot for the assistance... I am still not get the easy way stilo but it is ok, i ll work more on mpc and i ll understand. The problem with the manual is that it is very typical and functioning explained and my english are not so good to understand it easily...

I would prefer to be more tutoring, if anyone knows any video tutorial about this please post the link...

Thanks a lot, regards...