Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By eddiek1syou Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 am
I'm on JJOS1 and I read the manual... Firstly, I didn't see anything in there regarding "time stretching". I'm wondering if that is terminology that isn't used in the manual- is there another name for it?

I believe I pitch shifted a song correctly, as in I was able to speed it up extremely fast with the q-link slider in order to change the pitch... What I want to do is change the pitch without changing the speed of the song if that makes sense..

Sorry, this is my first time on the MPC and I've had it for a few days trying to figure it out and read both the AKAI and JJOS manual but it doesn't have anything on doing this specifically and there is a lot of terminology in there that I don't know.

Thanks for the help.
By le rat Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 pm
He's using the extra audio play mode (http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/chart.htm)
He's using low values. "Time" Qlink values change don't sound that bad but when he moves the "pitch" fader it's awful.
Anyway never trust a youtube video. You dunno how it was REC, converted, plus the sound of the video is AAC at 108.9 kbps. YOu'd better forget about that "feature".

PEace
By maara Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 am
eddiek1syou wrote:ONe more question.. When I do the pitch shifting, the result is a very choppy and low quality sounding sample... is this normal? there's no way to get a cleaner sound?

you are right - the sound quality of the timestretch or pitch shift realy sucks.... :-/
By jaasi Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm
Did you pitch shift in the trim mode?

What I noticed is that when you pitch shift the sample (and thus change the file itself), the quality is extremely shitty, but when you leave the file as it is and pitch it using for example the q-link sliders or the tuning function in program mode, the quality is much better.

No clue why that is.

I have a question:
I saw this video of some japanese who explained simultaneous pitch shift and timestretch in jjos (with decent quality btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDYMSEIe6Hc

Does anyone know whether you can transfer those functions to 16 levels?

Then you could play a sample chromatically without it becoming shorter or longer with higher or lower pitch. That would be so dope!
I know it's possible on the live, but that doesn't help me! If anyone has figured that out, please let me know!
By djestouff Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 pm
jaasi wrote:Did you pitch shift in the trim mode?

I have a question:
I saw this video of some japanese who explained simultaneous pitch shift and timestretch in jjos (with decent quality btw:

Then you could play a sample chromatically without it becoming shorter or longer with higher or lower pitch. That would be so dope!
I know it's possible on the live, but that doesn't help me! If anyone has figured that out, please let me know!

I'm quite certain the 1000/2500 arent able to do this in real-time, therefore would not be able to use 16 levels for this
By saltmcgault Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:54 pm
eddiek1syou wrote:sorry man nevermind. i got it.. thanks for the help!

So what did you do to answer your own question? It's not a bad thing to explain what you did, just in case somebody else runs into the same issue. I'm running jjso128xl ive only messed with pitching stuff up or down in the trimming screens and Ive only done it for a couple of beats something i want to get more familiar with. The more change you do to the sample tempo/pitch the more jank sounding its going to be.
By saltmcgault Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:56 pm
eddiek1syou wrote:ONe more question.. When I do the pitch shifting, the result is a very choppy and low quality sounding sample... is this normal? there's no way to get a cleaner sound?

This may help... maybe not. Either way its worth checking out.

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/t ... ulator.htm
By Sharris Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 pm
jaasi wrote:Did you pitch shift in the trim mode?
What I noticed is that when you pitch shift the sample (and thus change the file itself), the quality is extremely ****, but when you leave the file as it is and pitch it using for example the q-link sliders or the tuning function in program mode, the quality is much better.
No clue why that is.
I have a question:

You're not pitch shifting when using the q-link you are tuning. Tuning is different which is why it sounds different, but tuning speeds up or slows down the sample (like when you use 16 levels, it's tuning, not pitching). I normally just tune when using my mpc's, yea, it affects the speed, but when you chop everything up really small it's not much of an issue. Plus there is just so many creative ways to play with samples & make music........ I find following the sound instead of forcing the sound makes for a more enjoyable experience.

As far as I know you can not pitch shift with 16 levels. All you have to do is go to 16 levels & look at the options it gives you. Those are the options for 16 levels.

If you want to pitch your samples instead of tuning, use small pitch adjustments for best quality & if you want a different pitch on each key, it will just take you a little time to set it up (put the sample on each pad & pitch shift each differently).

Really it just takes time to get around limitations, you learn what your machine can do & you learn how to get the best out of it. Each time you come up against a road block just think of others ways you can get similar results or just try out a different idea.

If someone got decent quality pitch shifting & timestretching with their MPC 1000 or MPC 2500, it was probably a minor pitch & time change like people stated above. Plus processing can be used after the fact to clean up the sound a bit....... & layering.......