Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By emceewhiterabbit Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 pm
buuuut... if you sell nothing you will also make nothing. it's the labels job to sell it for you.

so if your an amazing business man and marketer then maybe independent is the way forward. if your a dumbshit then labels ahoy-hoy.
By compressed thought Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 pm
its a trip to think about mega established pop stars like madonna or prince or whatever. how much money theyve made and how thats just scratching the surface when putting it in perspective of that graph
By compressed thought Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 am
Coz wrote:You think Madonna is getting a crummy deal like that?! :lol:

you dont think any of those types of artists started out with shit deals when their careers were still in infancy? yeah probably not the best example, you know what im trying to say tho.
By namu Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:48 pm
"yeah really... but something is keeping her in the game going on 30+ years"

well, I think Madonna has had a good training in the biz since she was young, she knows she has to keep changing to stay on the scene. Even though I'm not a massive fan of hers, I think she deserves her success. Many artists are less flexible and will therefore not stay long...if you really want to be yourself all the time and forever the same, you have to be super brilliant and unique throughout. That's almost impossible to do.
By crossings Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:00 am
for the most part, with very few exceptions, this guy's chart and info are dead wrong. i worked 6 years for a company that handled royalty statements for digital download/streaming use and i'd say that the charts in this link here are a lot closer to reality:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2 ... rn-online/

matter of fact, most online streaming music websites/providers don't even need to get the recording artist's permission in order to MAKE MONEY OFF OF SOMEONE ELSE'S MUSIC... they use a loophole in the laws regarding digital content and claim to be using a "compulsory license"... and in a nutshell they'll never pay you unless you accumulate $50 or more in royalties... at less than a penny a play, you'll have to be wildly famous and already making big bank in order to stack up that many plays... you would also need to have a publishing company affiliated with a society [such as ASCAP, BMI or SESAC in the USA] in order for them to even match your name to an address to send a check. right now there are companies that are getting rich by selling other people's music and never paying them... the amount of unpaid digital royalties out there is insane. these people are in the business of cashing in on other people's content and intentionally avoiding having to pay them for it :!: