Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Edwardo Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm
Hi,

I just went back to the original Akai OS after using JJOS XL for no particular reason and have now reinstalled JJOS XL.

However now when I power up my MPC all I get is the 'MPC2500 (128MB installed)' screen and it completely freezes there!

Has anyone had a similar bug to this? Anyone know what I can do to fix it? Really want to sort this out as have a week off work and want to make some beats!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ed
By maara Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 pm
Hi,

1) First, try to remove the additional ram from your mpc and try to start it up without it.

2) If it will fail you can try to boot your mpc from the cf card (in case there is some problem with the os itself) and then reinstall the os...
Just put the os bin file on your card, turn it on with holding down the window button.
Once reinstalled, try to boot while holding the erase button...

M.
By Edwardo Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm
Hey, thanks for your advice.

I removed the extra RAM but now have the same problem except with 16MB displaying instead of 128MB.

Unfortunately I've moved house so many times recently I have no idea where the original Akai Compact Flash card is, is there another way to get around this problem or do you think I will have to hunt down an original Akai flash card?

Cheers,
Ed
By mp3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:43 pm
Edwardo wrote:Hey, thanks for your advice.

I removed the extra RAM but now have the same problem except with 16MB displaying instead of 128MB.

Unfortunately I've moved house so many times recently I have no idea where the original Akai Compact Flash card is, is there another way to get around this problem or do you think I will have to hunt down an original Akai flash card?

Cheers,
Ed

You can use any CF card. I'm not sure, but it should be readable if its DOS formatted.
By Edwardo Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:22 pm
Yep have tried this but the card has the files:
mpc2500_jv310.bin
mpc2500_xl213.osx

Both on the same card and I get he message 'Wrong card !!'

I don't have a card reader (except on the MPC) so just wondering if there's another cure?

Otherwise will have to go out and a CF card reader for my Mac.

Cheers
By maara Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:59 pm
No idea... :-(
Try to simply turn it on while holding the erase button (remove the hdd or cdrom if there are any to ensure that no of these additional devices are causing the mpc won't boot) but if it won't help, you'll have to get a dos formated cf card and try to reload the os...- you don't have any old cf camera or whatever?
By mp3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm
I think the OS file has to be at root level (in other words, not inside a folder) on the card. You should have a card reader on deck just for gp, but yeah try to get a new cf card, format it to DOS on your mac and put nothing but the OS file on it.
By Edwardo Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm
maara -Tried taking out the HDD and RAM but alas, no joy.

mp3 - The OS files were at root level, I'm guessing maybe the problem is that there are 2 of them at root level? Having said that it saw both of the files perfectly and upgraded to normal JJ OS fine, it was only after upgrading to XL that I keep getting the error message.

Yep am off to pick a CF card reader for my computer tomorrow, I did have an old CF camera but some scumbag nicked it.

Anyway thank you both for your input!

Hopefully I can get this thing working tomorrow by reformatting the CF card.
By TheUnfuckwithable Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:01 pm
Edwardo wrote:Yep have tried this but the card has the files:
mpc2500_jv310.bin
mpc2500_xl213.osx

Both on the same card and I get he message 'Wrong card !!'

I don't have a card reader (except on the MPC) so just wondering if there's another cure?

Otherwise will have to go out and a CF card reader for my Mac.

Cheers

afaik "wrong card" simply means that it is not formatted correctly so the mpc won´t recognize it.
By Edwardo Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 pm
Could be but the same card worked earlier on today when I installed JJOS initially after reverting back to Akai OS...

Time to get a new CF card maybe, just hoping it's not the MPC!!
By mp3 Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 pm
I read somewhere in the 2500 forum that somebody got their non-booting MPC to work with the original Akai CF card and original Akai OS. If you don't have the original card, maybe you can buy one from here or from ebay, or maybe any 128mb card (the same size as the Akai card) will do the trick... Also make sure you try it with the original Akai OS.
By Edwardo Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:29 pm
Right, thanks for all the advice so far everyone, here's an update.

Bought a card reader and reformatted the CF card then installed original Akai OS but when I go back to the MPC I still get the 'Wrong Card' error.

Really annoying and don't understand how switching from JJOS to Akai OS then back to JJOS could screw up the MPC!

Might be interested in the Akai CF-card, whereabouts in Europe are you?
By maara Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm
How did you formated your CF card? Are you using PC or MAC?
Keep on mind that the card should be FAT or FAT32 (you can try both) and if you are using MAC, double check if you are using master boot record while formating...
The original akai cf card is not the solution - the brand of the card doesn't matter and it seems that your problem is a format of your card...